New Budget Home Subwoofer Project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:45 AM   #11
Sulla is offline Sulla  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info GM. And I have another question. Since it is a sealed enclosure with smoother drop off than a ported sub it should have a little more useful low end below 36Hz when you factor in boundary gain and room gain correct?

I will see soon how it sounds with this enclosure. I got it about 90% done today. Just need to cut the hole for the subwoofer and wrap the botton third where it is indented. Look like a mid century moderm cube type design. Something like a Bose 501 but hopefully better haha. Anyway when the subwoofer comes in I will let you know how it sounds.

Any way hopefully this will perform really well for most music and good for home theater. As a side note I watch a lot more old movies than I do new ones.
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:35 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

In theory, but being located at LP normally means not near any boundary or where room gain is high other than the floor (2pi space) and at the current size it will have to be heavily stuffed to lower Qtc enough to maybe extend the audible BW a bit lower enough to take at least a little advantage of any room gain, though it will improve SQ if you're one of those relatively few folks that are sensitive to LF damping.

Auditioning it damped with one side, back and top or bottom wall covered with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation or similar and then with it heavily stuffed will 'tell the tale' the range of performance tuning options and whether or not it will please.

GM
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well because of the room the LP is right next to the back wall so maybe that will help?

Also I was going to ask how close does it need to be to the floor to to get a boost from that boundary?
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just thought of another question. Since the sides are all braced against each with a little bit of ribbling with each does it even need damping at first? Or would it be better to listen to it and add damping if it has ringing etc?
Old 4th August 2010, 03:35 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes the extra boundary will increase acoustic efficiency up to +3 dB and even more if near a hard corner.

For best coupling/mirror imaging we want the driver as close as practical, but the WLs are so long in the LF that it's not real critical.

The damping is mostly for quelling eigenmodes somewhat and keep them from reflecting back through the driver which can give the box a hollow sound, but try it without to see if it's acceptable to you. Still, all things considered, heavily damping it to get a lower tuning to take max advantage of that room loading seems the solution, but only one way to know for sure........

GM
Old 4th August 2010, 04:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

OK that is what I was thinking. The box is now setup with the woofer next to the floor and really is more stable this way anyway.

For damping my plan is now to try it without any damping or stuffing when the woofer gets here. Then after a few days take it apart and try it with the full dampening. Then make a choice from there.
Old 6th August 2010, 03:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Finally got the subwoofer in and got everything together. It sounds good. Much less sloppy than my Cerwin Vega home theater sub I was using. Also really fills in the bass when pared with my Polk SDA 1 main speakers.

Next thing to do is make a cover to hide the subwoofer.

Attached is a very low quality image but it gives you an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diy_budget_subwoofer_15.jpg (58.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 6th August 2010, 11:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Got the stuffing added today. And it did help.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:14 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
Much less sloppy than my Cerwin Vega home theater sub I was using.

Got the stuffing added today. And it did help.
Good! Yeah, my 'loud is beautiful........' sig line was CV's mantra decades ago, but they lost their way........

I love a happy ending.

GM
Old 7th August 2010, 04:17 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Happy endings are always good haha. Ya I always like CV to. Just wished they made better speakers now days.

Hide this!Advertise here!