Plate amp shielding query - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Plate amp shielding query

Should I protect the electronics of my plate amplifier from my speaker?

I am building a sealed enclosure for the Dayton 15" RSS390HF-4 reference subwoofer. The enclosure is 24" x 24" x 20" deep. I had intended to purchase the Dayton SA240 or the Bash 300w plate amplifier but neither is available until mid-September or later and I canít wait that long to finish the project. So instead I bought an MCM 50-6263 200w amp. When I received the MCM I discovered it has no housing. The electronics are exposed, and this made me wonder. If I cut a rectangular hole in the back of my cabinet and install this amp in the normal fashion, these exposed electronic parts will sit about 10" from the large magnet that is part of the speakerís driver assembly.

My questions are: If I install the amp inside the cabinet in the standard fashion, will the speaker driver slowly magnetize or otherwise harm the electronics of the amp over time? Will the backward pounding of base notes physically harm the amplifier? Should I instead place the amp in its own box on the back of the cabinet? Place a grounded metal plate between the amp electronics and the speaker? Use some other method to shield the amp? Or am I worrying about nothing? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickP View Post
When I received the MCM I discovered it has no housing.
That's WHY it is called a plate amp. It is an amp built on a plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickP View Post
Or am I worrying about nothing?
Yes.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK, glad to hear it. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm cutting a hole and inserting the electronics of the plate amp inside the enclosure. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If it's a ported cab, it'll also help cooling a little, by introducing an air flow. That will depend on the position of the ports though.

Last edited by chris661; 31st July 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 1st August 2010, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As noted in the original post, its a sealed enclosure, not ported. But the important point is that you agree that I can stick the amp's exposed parts inside the box without fear. And so I will. Thanks for the response.

Hide this!Advertise here!