Single sheet TH challenge

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.:D
It's just me, I had a closer look and it looks like the tweeters are not giving a lot of highs or your ears don't hear them well. ;)

I used to see some 'smart stereo owners' way back who just set the sliders for aesthetics, sounded horrible!...
"but it looks nice..." :rolleyes:

I really like the system to sound crisp so its a combo of the tweeters sucking and a desire for more top top end. Too much is killer tho so i actually had to knock a bit off the top last night.

I really need to buy some decent compression drivers... Theyre the last cheap compontent in the system and its showing. Adjustment to the xo helped but u can only polish a turd so far....

post1718
NoDestiny has shown corner filling sections. These help maintain nearly constant cross-sectional area as the wave passes along the horn.
Are they really needed?
Do the low frequency waves gain any benefit from seeing this nearly constant and gradual change in area of the horn tunnel?

If the corner fillers are omitted then the horn tunnel will show increases in area as each "corner" is passed. Does that affect the final Bass sounds?

With the exception of cabinets that have a bunch of standing resonance that I had to break up. (aka a messed up cabinet design in the first place) Every corner reflector I've added in a TH is a net spl minus. Sometimes those minus are justified if it results in an overall smoother response.

Because the ss15 is intentionally designed with no interior parallel surfaces, and with each horn 'path' a different length. The suggested 45's are not necessary.

If you want to add one 45 in the upper back corner, so you can route out oval shape hand holds in the top/back, and put a 1" dowel across, so you have a nice place to grab -- that's ok.

I had to do some adjustments for 12mm vs. 1/2" from the original plans (plus 9mm bracing). As I'm going through, I was just curious if there is any need for some 45* "guides" in the corners to make the measurements a bit smoother, or if I'm just adding weight with no benefits?

Thanx!

Last edited:
I really like the system to sound crisp so its a combo of the tweeters sucking and a desire for more top top end. Too much is killer tho so i actually had to knock a bit off the top last night.

I really need to buy some decent compression drivers... Theyre the last cheap compontent in the system and its showing. Adjustment to the xo helped but u can only polish a turd so far....

Hey Klampix
i see that you got 4 ss15's per side and just one mid high cabinet on top
would that gives you a balanced sound, i mean
are those top cabs high powered ?
what drivers you have inside of them. have you DIY them also ?
how many power are you feeding to them

telling you because here in the states many dj's that dont DIY
use 2 or 3 cerwing vega L-36's and in top 1 peavey sp4 if they used 2 L36's and 2 Sp4's if they have put3 L36's, when they put 4 L36's they use 3 Sp4's

the sp4 have 2 15" LF drivers and one twetter 22a (22xt )
but many of them replaced those with 44xt as they burn off the 22a's easily

just wondering
Max.

I was PM'd about drivers suitable for the SS15. I felt the response was worthwhile to post for all.

Post1 already has the list of drivers. I didn't include the power limits because they are all good in the SS15 cabinet (with correct high pass) up to their AES rating.
AES and common sense rules the day.
The 3015lf is good for it's aes rating of 450,
The 4015lf is good to it's power rating of 700watts.
The only one of the three that I would limit lower, is the kappa pro 15lf2. I'd limit that to 300-400watts, even though the aes rating is 600.
The reason is the lower xmax, and the desire to keep it 'clean.' It's got an xlim of 18mm, just like the other 2, so It would be mechanically safe to power up to it's AES... I just wouldn't.
If you limit the kappa pro to 300-400watts, it would be the most 'monkey proof' solution, as you are limiting to about 1/2 of AES.

Wholesale
kappa is $105,
3015lf is $164,
4015lf is $160
I don't know where you are buying, so the only 'real' comparison I can give you is wholesale.

If you have limited funds, the kappa and more cabinets is the best bang for the buck.
If you have limited pack space, the 4015 and more power is the best
If you need limited weight, the 3015lf is best.

A few other drivers also work, 15tbx100 comes to mind.
The first post has a link to the monacor driver for non-US builders.

Anyone who builds is encouraged to post pictures and/or review and/or measurements to this thread.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Thank you again, jbell. I have build 1 thus far. I actually cut out 3 at once, with angles and all. It's not a TRUE single-sheet SS15 because of the fact that these sheets are not only 5'x5', but that I'm just getting whatever scraps a friend of mine picks up at work (they toss a lot of scraps). I'm waiting on another round of scraps to hit the grind pile before I can make the 2nd enclosure. For my 2nd one, I'm actually going to modify the original design with the extra corner fills and bracing and do a side-by-side comparison with REW (Room EQ Wizard) and my handy rat-shack meter to determine response and overall output capabilities, then build the 3rd one to match whichever one I like most. I trust your prior advice, I just like to have a side-by-side comparison for personal observations.

The current original SS15 build is quite a beast. I have a Crown XTi-1002 on it right now with 35-90hz crossover (24db/oct) and a -3dB on the limiter. I really pounds, especially if you are within 1m in front of it! Can't wait to see what a pair will do...

One thing I noticed is that I cut out the recommend hole for the 3015LF, but it doesn't quite seal properly on the face of it. I might have to cut out something out of 9mm wood to adapt a smaller opening for it. Looking at the gasket on the front, it wasn't put on well from the factory...

Anywho, here is a pic of my first build. I had to change the specs a bit because I'm working with 12mm over 1/2", but it's very close to the original design internally.

Attachments

• IMG_20121001_195006.jpg
    IMG_20121001_195006.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
Other drivers for the SS15:

Ande LB15-1 (not available in US)
Ande LB1560 (not available in US)
B&C 15PZB40
DAP AB-15 (only available in Europe)
Eighteen Sound 15W600 (no longer available)
Eighteen Sound 15W700
Eighteen Sound 15ND830
Monacor SP-15/500FH (not available in US)
P.Audio C15-600EL
RCF L15P200 (no longer available)
RCF L15P200AK (NOT the new L15P200AK-II version!!!)

Cheapest driver: DAP AB-15 for 50 Euro.

Last edited:
Other drivers for the SS15:

Ande LB15-1 (not available in US)
Ande LB1560 (not available in US)
B&C 15PZB40
DAP AB-15 (only available in Europe)
Eighteen Sound 15W600 (no longer available)
Eighteen Sound 15W700
Eighteen Sound 15ND830
Monacor SP-15/500FH (not available in US)
P.Audio C15-600EL
RCF L15P200 (no longer available)
RCF L15P200AK (NOT the new L15P200AK-II version!!!)

Cheapest driver: DAP AB-15 for 50 Euro.

Great DJim
i would like to make a homebrew list of all of the drivers
and post from lowest to highest price and from lowest to highest power
and sorted by weight also... maybe a bit redundant but want to save time
to other guys who want to build and need stuff in a hurry
well... that is just an idea and i want to see what the members of the board here think about it

Max.

Can anyone tell me where I can find books on making this type of enclosure?

Hi there S: The SS15 was origionated by "JBELL" and posted here, see post #1. Everything a DIYer needs to know to build them is in this thread, so spend the time to read/understand the information in the thread, it's quite a story in itself. There are several other builders who have written about their experience building/utilizing SS15's. enjoy....Michael

found this peavey 15" driver that suppose to withstand 1200 watts RMS....
can anyone do a sim with the SS15 and see if it would be feasible
to stick SS15's with this driver
it costs 325 each
Peavey 15" Lo Max Subwoofer Speaker - Peavey 15" Lo Max Speaker - Peavey 15" Lo Max subwoofer speaker - This Peavey 15" Lo Max subwoofer handles 1,200 watts RMS.

Resonant Frequency (fs) 38.2 Hz Impedance (Re) 6.1 ohms Coil Inductance (Le) .829 Electromagnetic Q (Qes) .364 Mechanical Q (Qms) 11.018 Total Q (Qts) .352 Compliance Equivalent Vol. (Vas)
125.7 Liters/4.4cu. ft. Displacement Volume(Vd) 87.1 cu. in. BL Product(BL) 23.6T-M Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 8.25mm Reference Efficiency % 1.86% Surface Area Of Cone(Sd) .084m2

also dont forget the JB1500N as a suitable driver

im yet to run my 4cabs outside, but facing out from inside a garage they were absolutely amazing, good deep rumble, with plenty of kick and punch going on.

then on the flip side, i had the opportunity to run them in a sports hall the size of two basketball courts, and severe lack of deep (sub) bass outside a 20m perimeter, but a ton or smacky punch throughout the venue.

overall, im very happy with my JB1500N loaded SS15 kit. and cant wait to build more!!! FlipC's Dozen is my inspiration!!!