Single sheet TH challenge

So, whats the consensus on mixing THs with folded horns (i.e. SS15s w/T48s, etc) or mixing different THs with each other (i.e. SS15s w/Furysubs)?
Combining multiples of the same type of LF cabinets results in a predictable 6 dB increase in level when two equally powered cabinets are combined.
The phase response of different TH or folded horns all vary, as does path length.
Mixing speakers with different path lengths and phase response will result in comb filtering (dips and peaks in response).
To coherently combine the response of different speaker cabinets, different DSP needs to be applied to each unit. Simple in theory, but difficult to do properly in array.

In other words, mixing different cabinet types will sometimes result in as much as a 6 dB increase at some frequencies, but can also result in dips of 10 dB or more at other frequencies.
The net gain/loss, instead of being +6 dB, could be anywhere between +6 and -6 depending on the cabinet types being "mixed".

That's my consensus.

Art

Having looked into metal speaker grills in the past, I'm wondering if they affect output of the box. At best they seem to have a net opening square footage of around 60 percent of total square footage. Does this lower the SPL by blocking airflow? Is grillcloth any better? I really like the look, but is there a price to pay?

So, whats the consensus on mixing THs with folded horns (i.e. SS15s w/T48s, etc) or mixing different THs with each other (i.e. SS15s w/Furysubs)?

At the moment I am running 2 ss15 and 2 t48 across the front of stage. I would not recommend it and I'm only doing it out of necessity for a shortish time. I think I have been lucky with the comb filtering because although it has reduced the volume in the direct centre (power alley) area, it has filled in a couple of dips off to the sides that I had with 4t48.

So .. Yesterday was the first time with opportunity to give all four SS15 a go ..
Had them lined up in center in front of the stage. Powered by MC2 E4-75 providing a maximum of 750W pr. box ..
I do mobile disco jobs, so a lot of modern music, both hip hop and dance stuff. Crossed them at 120Hz and HP at 40Hz. -Lots of bass! .. Must say i'm very impressed of this little thing. Weighs nothing and quite cheap driver, but they absolutely kick! .. Don't think i needed more low end for what i do. No problems feeling the kick and bass. We had an hour to play before the guets arrived, so we got to really crank them up. Couldn't help smiling the hole time :) .. Most of the night the amp flashed in the -12dB LED and don't think we saw the -6dB flashing, even when the music was fairly loud. Very nice to know that there is a lot of headroom in boxes as well as amp.
All in all .. Very satisfied with this build. Don't think i've ever come across a single 15" that will match it in output (at least not yet) .. All of you thinking of building these babies - get cracking! :)

Chaps - funny how the English guys really haven't picked up on the TH's yet.
Sold off my FLH's because the TH's sound so much better. Glad to hear you like them as much as I do.

Djim - not sure about Chaps but I haven't had to EQ mine.
Run LP at 151 Hz with a 24 db LR and a 24 db LR HP at 33 Hz. But at same time I have not had time to do real test to see where I would even need to. Might get some time to do that next week.

Chaps - funny how the English guys really haven't picked up on the TH's yet.
Sold off my FLH's because the TH's sound so much better. Glad to hear you like them as much as I do.

I think it's because they tend to use huge stacks of FLH's that have enough mouth area in aggregate to get low without going TH.

How many folks in the US start out with 8 or more bins?

No EQ on subs at all. LR48dB HP filter .. Didn't think the subs really needed any adjustments at first, but the plan is to find a place where i can do some prober testing and maybe do some adjustments on them - if needed
Indeed that's the perfect setting for Linkwitz-Riley 48dB/Oct, pity you don't have access to Butterworth. If you are going to check try this setting: 40Hz / Q= 4 / Gain= +5dB

Last edited:
Indeed that's the perfect setting for Linkwitz-Riley 48dB/Oct, pity you don't have access to Butterworth. If you are going to check try this setting: 40Hz / Q= 4 / Gain= +5dB

djim:

I know they don't measure flat to 40, but they sure do sound good.
I have only used a 2-3db bump at 45hz before when running 40hz LR 48db/oct.

I did get around to trying the 32hz BUT 24db high pass that was suggested a few pages back. Yea it seems to keep excursion in check as predicted and did add a couple db in the 40hz department, enough that I eliminated the eq bump when running this way.

From ear anyway both sound similar... But then 28hz&32hz d&b isn't my thing.

djim: I know they don't measure flat to 40, but they sure do sound good. I have only used a 2-3db bump at 45hz before when running 40hz LR 48db/oct. I did get around to trying the 32hz BUT 24db high pass that was suggested a few pages back. Yea it seems to keep excursion in check as predicted and did add a couple db in the 40hz department, enough that I eliminated the eq bump when running this way. From ear anyway both sound similar... But then 28hz&32hz d&b isn't my thing.
There are more possibilities you could try although it's true that not everybody needs it: High-Pass (low-cut) = 12dB/Oct at 47Hz (Butterworth)
Para EQ = 38Hz / Q = 2 / Gain = +4,4dB (make up for the filter)
Para EQ = 40Hz / Q = 6 / Gain = +6,0dB (make up for the system)

Jbell, your SS15 sounds good no question about it but I guess everybody has is own reason for judging what is necessary for LF or not. It's just I don't agree with a statement that d&B is the only music genre that benefits form LF extension. Pop and rock these days also use the same technologies that makes LF possible in recordings. Besides pop and rock, dance oriented music is fully accepted over here in Europe and D&B is just a small genre within. A good example are the big (rock?)festivals that program dance oriented acts for the last 10 years or so. 30 years ago almost no one cared or understood LF figures, freq plots, extended excursion or kilowatts. Today all leading brands offer that extra LF extension simply because there is music for it and a market that demands it because they understand the technology behind it a little better. That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Since the 3015LF had a crazy price increase, thought I'd share this:

A lot more power, but a lot more 40Hz

(This example uses an inductor (@ Le) with isn't necessarily needed)

Attachments

• SPL SS15 (4) 15N850v2 vs (4) 3015LF soho54's corner.jpg
    SPL SS15 (4) 15N850v2 vs (4) 3015LF soho54's corner.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 610
  • IN SS15 15N850v2 soho54's corner.jpg
    IN SS15 15N850v2 soho54's corner.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Same BMS 15N850v2 driver, 5 more liters than the SS15 (226 vs 231) - nice little shift to the left.

Attachments

• SPL SS15 (4) 15N850v2 CSD 231L vs (4) 15N850v2 soho54's corner 226L.jpg
    SPL SS15 (4) 15N850v2 CSD 231L vs (4) 15N850v2 soho54's corner 226L.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 579
  • IN Jbell SS15-2 CSD40#2 15N850v2 Aug 15, 2010_soho's corner_by tb46 1100W 231L.jpg
    IN Jbell SS15-2 CSD40#2 15N850v2 Aug 15, 2010_soho's corner_by tb46 1100W 231L.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 571
Since the 3015LF had a crazy price increase, thought I'd share this: A lot more power, but a lot more 40Hz. (This example uses an inductor (@ Le) with isn't necessarily needed)
Cresendo, would you be so kind to share the price of an 1200 watt rms inductor that doesn't saturate at these levels? Secondly, would you be so kind when you leave out the inductor to show us group delay and transient plots? And if you found those plots you might realise that you can build 9x SS15's + the extra wood with 18Sound 15W700 drivers that do not have any delay, transient or response issues in the SS15 ;)