Single sheet TH challenge

The Reception Rooms: The Gardens of Houston, Texas

Here's a link to the ballroom's website, I was in the Grande Ballroom, my DJ Friend was in the Garden Room...

If you look at the pictures at the top of the page, the one showing a fountain, you can see the room I was in is on the right and the room he was in is on the left... There is about a 10' wide hallway in between the two rooms...

When the dance floor was full (about 100-150 people) I walked to the other side of the dance floor to hear how everything sounded...

I feel the EV's Lost a little umph but, surprisingly I felt the subs gained some... I could feel the bass through all those people dancing... It may have been the song, it may have been me... but I was surprised...

I mean, these are 4 EV's running at approximately 1,200 watts a piece with 2" compression drivers on them!!!

makes perfect sense.... subs aren't the only type of speaker to suffer from power compression. Coil heats up, spl goes down. 98db efficiency tops, 104db efficiency subs, more power going into tops vs going into subs -- the tops suffer more power compression. It's that efficiency that gets you to 1am.

Well, that, and people absorb a lot of high end, and bass kinda goes right through...

Glad you are happy with them, that puts a smile on my face.

Wow, sounds very nice fhperez! .. Does the 12mm box feel rugged enough for alot af mobile use? I ask since i have allways been told that subs should be made of 18mm to be solid enough for alot af moving around.

Jbell:
I'm just looking through the cutsheet and everything, but there is something that confuses me. I think you can help me out.

On the cutsheet, there is no shown boards for bracing (from the back to the bottom and top, as i can see on your building pics), but there is a 2,5" board, witch according to the design sketch, should be used as a reflector in the back-upper corner.
Now, all i can think is, that instead of reflector, you have used the 2,5" for the bracing? - but then i look at your picture (post #54), with all the wood has been cut, and there is both the 2,5" board and another called "brace".

I hope you understand what i'm trying to ask you :)

Edit:
Now i see, that the 2,5" reflector board has just "moved" from the back-upper corner, to sit between the 11" and the 13,5" board.
Then i just need to know where you got that board for bracing from? I just can't figure it out :)

Last edited:
Wow, sounds very nice fhperez! .. Does the 12mm box feel rugged enough for alot af mobile use? I ask since i have allways been told that subs should be made of 18mm to be solid enough for alot af moving around.

I don't know, it's not heavy, and since they are white, I have to take super extra care of them... They feel good enough to me to resist the loading and unloading...

Jbell

Quick Question... If we were to make these to 22", 23", maybe even 24 inches internally, for me, who will be making maybe 2 or 4 and be happy with them for a 'long' time, then I could reach levels of 40hz with 1 box, or does with have to be at 21" for this design to work?

Having Said that, if I do build two more, tuned to 40hz, a wider version, could I use all 4 together, or would you advice against that?

Jbell

Quick Question... If we were to make these to 22", 23", maybe even 24 inches internally, for me, who will be making maybe 2 or 4 and be happy with them for a 'long' time, then I could reach levels of 40hz with 1 box, or does with have to be at 21" for this design to work?

Having Said that, if I do build two more, tuned to 40hz, a wider version, could I use all 4 together, or would you advice against that?

Making them wider doesn't make them play lower. If you want lower, more cabinets accomplishes that. (to a point)

This means that for small gigs, bringing 2 or more is still advised even if you don't need the spl.

If you really want a lower design, and you don't care about fitting it out of a single sheet, I can mod it to make it play a little lower.. Keep in mind loud and low are the 2 players on the see-saw. As one goes up, the other goes down.

Here's the idea of what would be needed to make it actually go lower. (warning -- there is NO hornresp or other thought put into this, it's just a depiction of what would be needed to make the horn path longer, and therefore play lower)

Attachments

• singlesheet7.JPG
    singlesheet7.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,140
Here's a nice grill option for the ss15. 9 ga. flattened expanded mesh. Cut it to size, and bend the 'ears' down on each side. I put a thin strip of rubber between the grill and wood to keep any vibration issues from happening. It sure kills any cabinet flex issues at the mouth!!

It ends up costing under $10 a grill. I buy 4'x6' sections (half sheet) from the local steel company.

Attachments

• Picture 042a.JPG
    Picture 042a.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,221
I have a small question about placement .. I mostly do gigs, where the subs will be split (1 or 2 on each side). Will i be better off having the cabs laying on their sides og standing up? I have read that it is more directional standing up, but i have no idea how much that is. My concern is, that the bass will not be even on the floor with the boxes standing, if they er not in front of the stage, unless they er turned much into the front of the stage.
Therfore i lean towards having them laying on the side, when used 1 or 2 on each side.
How are your'e experience with this?

I could of cause just build an try both, but i need to know where to put my pole mount. Then again, i could just put a pole mount on both the top and the side, but figured i would ask here first :)

if you use stereo then the pair are handling (only) slightly different (bass) signals.
If each stereo channel has two or more bass speakers then you get better efficiency and more extended bass by coupling the speakers with the drivers/vents as close to each other as possible.

If the floor loading is to suffer least from reflection delays then the drivers and/or vents should be close to the floor.

I suspect that the arrangement for a single bass speaker will end up being different from a multiple bass speaker.

OK, I must say, I am continued to be impressed by these subs...

This past Saturday I did an event with over 300 People at a Hall/Convention Center that was 14,000 Square Feet and boy did these sound Good...

I finally finished my 2nd pair of speakers... I'm in love with these subs... Groom, being a sound guy himself, came to me and said that they sounded great!

Best thing was walking outside the venue and still hearing the bass pretty clean...

These will definitely take the place of my dual 18 cabs...

fr_376.jpg

fr_369.jpg

fr_372.jpg

fr_367.jpg

fr_373.jpg

OK, I must say, I am continued to be impressed by these subs...

This past Saturday I did an event with over 300 People at a Hall/Convention Center that was 14,000 Square Feet and boy did these sound Good...

I finally finished my 2nd pair of speakers... I'm in love with these subs... Groom, being a sound guy himself, came to me and said that they sounded great!

Best thing was walking outside the venue and still hearing the bass pretty clean...

These will definitely take the place of my dual 18 cabs...

A couple questions:

How do you like the 3015lf's vs the JBL's?

white sheet? no time to paint?

You've had them standing up in all the pics I've seen, ever try laying them on their sides? A block of 4 on their sides with mouths together is very fun.....

The more I build these and listen to them, the more I'm convinced this is a design an enterprising person could build a business around... It's just a good 'all around' sub.

Jbell...

I built these Thursday... I started at around 1PM and finished around 8 PM with one break for dinner... :) :) :) that's cutting the wood, drawing out the design on the side panel, gluing down and clamping one down while I built the second one... Reason I started Thursday is because I put in an order for them over the weekend and they arrived Thursday...

Friday I had an event in the evening so I did not want to risk starting to paint them and not being able to finish... Plus I had some errands to run Friday before the weekend... :)

I did not have enough time to do a/b comparisons that day at that hall...

I thought about putting them on their sides, with the mouths facing each other... but again, there was no time to test... I had no roadie so I did all the install, cleaning up of wires and I installed the purple LED Lighting you saw on the pics... I did think about doing it though... Especially since i could have used that white sheet to cover only the bottom two a lot nicer than what it came out... but oh well...

Most of the time I won't need 4 subs... I may sell the JBL's to a friend and only 'borrow' them when I need them...

:) :) :) Yup I've even thought about selling these, I've posted pictures on my FB page and seems like some DJ's like the design...

BTW: I was pushing 4 of these with 2 qsc 2402's each amp bridged mono, so they were each getting anywhere from 1000 to 1200 watts... :) I would say I kept my main mixer to -2 db for most of the night... Amps never clipped... I played them hard from 6pm to 12 am...

What i was afraid of was that I never broke in the 3015lf's....

P.S. I didn't use Baltic Birch, I used Blond?? Wood from Lowes (7plys but not as dense as Baltic Birch)

Jbell...

I built these Thursday... I started at around 1PM and finished around 8 PM with one break for dinner... :) :) :) that's cutting the wood, drawing out the design on the side panel, gluing down and clamping one down while I built the second one... Reason I started Thursday is because I put in an order for them over the weekend and they arrived Thursday...

Friday I had an event in the evening so I did not want to risk starting to paint them and not being able to finish... Plus I had some errands to run Friday before the weekend... :)

I did not have enough time to do a/b comparisons that day at that hall...

I thought about putting them on their sides, with the mouths facing each other... but again, there was no time to test... I had no roadie so I did all the install, cleaning up of wires and I installed the purple LED Lighting you saw on the pics... I did think about doing it though... Especially since i could have used that white sheet to cover only the bottom two a lot nicer than what it came out... but oh well...

Most of the time I won't need 4 subs... I may sell the JBL's to a friend and only 'borrow' them when I need them...

:) :) :) Yup I've even thought about selling these, I've posted pictures on my FB page and seems like some DJ's like the design...

BTW: I was pushing 4 of these with 2 qsc 2402's each amp bridged mono, so they were each getting anywhere from 1000 to 1200 watts... :) I would say I kept my main mixer to -2 db for most of the night... Amps never clipped... I played them hard from 6pm to 12 am...

What i was afraid of was that I never broke in the 3015lf's....

P.S. I didn't use Baltic Birch, I used Blond?? Wood from Lowes (7plys but not as dense as Baltic Birch)

You probably have no idea what part of your message made me smile.... It's the part where you built a pair in an afternoon. That is EXACTLY one of my primary design goals for this box. It had to be a good 'all around' box, lightweight, and an easy build. I had to have something I could easily accomplish for an 'asap install.' Cutting these out with a table saw is a no-brainer, and the assembly with PL and screws is fast and strong. It usually takes me more time to fill holes, prep and finish a cabinet, than it does to cut it out and assemble it.

Feel free to build whatever cabinets you like of this design. You may profit any amount you would like from the building of the cabinet. The only thing I ask is the design remains free. (I never want to see a design of mine on somebody else's site charging for the design.) The reason I post these designs is as payback to the community that has helped me out.

Thank you david, davy,syd,mike,scott,mark,oliver,don and others (many others) that have provided me education, feedback, and encouragement.
thank you.

Reactions: 1 user