Single sheet TH challenge - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2011, 02:31 AM   #961
diyAudio Member

I'm very new to inductors - was just playing w/#'s. 4 cabs without it models pretty flat, however. I provided the HR inputs so you folks could look at all the screens without me flooding my post w/pics. I can sure post them all next time if preferred. As far as delay and transient issues are concerned, I still consider myself new at this and am not entirely sure what to look for. Feel free to point out the problems with that driver in the SS15 enclosure. It looks good from a far, but may be far from good..? Maybe I have my beer goggles on.

In addition, this idea was based on the idea that many have already built SS15's, so the extra wood thing was negated.
Old 18th April 2011, 03:11 AM   #962
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

No prob Crescendo, many other factors are all part of the system and have each their own influence. As you can see they don't show up in the SPL response. As far inductors, for high power LF cabs they are not a great idea, I think. To much loss and their influence will show up in real measurements under these power conditions.

The quickest method for searching suitable replacements in TH's you can select them first on similar BL force and mass. You will see if you find similar parameters that in most cases they will work and give similar response. However, even if all parameters are alike they will still have their own characteristic sound (something nobody seems to discuss around here).
Old 18th April 2011, 03:36 AM   #963
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
No prob Crescendo, many other factors are all part of the system and have each their own influence. As you can see they don't show up in the SPL response.
Right, this I understand

Quote:
=Djim;2542034]As far inductors, for high power LF cabs they are not a great idea, I think. To much loss and their influence will show up in real measurements under these power conditions.
Ok, got it. I saw another member suggest it to flatten response, but maybe that's only through a certain power level. And another member also recommended against it for pretty much the same reason you mentioned.

Quote:
=Djim;2542034]The quickest method for searching suitable replacements in TH's you can select them first on similar BL force and mass. You will see if you find similar parameters that in most cases they will work and give similar response.
Thanks for the starting point. I like in BassBox 6 how you can load drivers to a database and search for drivers within certain specs. It'd be so nice if there were a way for us to help each other build a database to make finding drivers that much easier/quicker...AND if Hornresp used the driver search function

Quote:
=Djim;2542034]However, even if all parameters are alike they will still have their own characteristic sound (something nobody seems to discuss around here).
Yup! I can't count how many people I've expressed this to.

As far as the Phase Response and Group Delay charts go, am I looking for a smoother line where I want response?
Old 18th April 2011, 06:36 AM   #964
diyAudio Member

Anybody tried to generate a single sheet TH for this?

MCM Audio Select 12'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 350W RMS | 55-2982 (552982) | MCM Audio Select
Old 18th April 2011, 07:21 AM   #965
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydon_lepasci View Post
Jbell did, it's called the SS15 (just a bigger smile in response but it could work if the data is correct and you don't mind some group delay of 23ms at system resonance)

Last edited by Djim; 18th April 2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 18th April 2011, 01:49 PM   #966
diyAudio Member

I believe I mentioned the inductor to flatten the dip, it was just an idea. I didnt have any suitable choices for this cab, just a brainstorm lol.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:33 PM   #967
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
There are more possibilities you could try although it's true that not everybody needs it: High-Pass (low-cut) = 12dB/Oct at 47Hz (Butterworth)
Para EQ = 38Hz / Q = 2 / Gain = +4,4dB (make up for the filter)
Para EQ = 40Hz / Q = 6 / Gain = +6,0dB (make up for the system)

Jbell, your SS15 sounds good no question about it but I guess everybody has is own reason for judging what is necessary for LF or not. It's just I don't agree with a statement that d&B is the only music genre that benefits form LF extension. Pop and rock these days also use the same technologies that makes LF possible in recordings. Besides pop and rock, dance oriented music is fully accepted over here in Europe and D&B is just a small genre within. A good example are the big (rock?)festivals that program dance oriented acts for the last 10 years or so. 30 years ago almost no one cared or understood LF figures, freq plots, extended excursion or kilowatts. Today all leading brands offer that extra LF extension simply because there is music for it and a market that demands it because they understand the technology behind it a little better. That's how I see it.
Hey DJIM:
you get no arguments from me on LF extension and it being part of modern music. I guess what I was trying to say, was that with the SS15 and the music I was listening to -- I couldn't tell any difference in LF extension between the 2 different high pass setups I was trying. I think the reason for that was 2 fold -- 1, the SS15 just has a certain amount of 40hz or possibly lower it'll actually reproduce, and 2, the music I typically listen to isn't extremely bass heavy in the 28-32hz area.

I do think the 32hz butterworth 24db/oct high pass should allow for the maximum (safe) LF content from a SS15 from the discussion earlier -- I just couldn't verify that by ear with my music.
Old 18th April 2011, 07:44 PM   #968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
I do think the 32hz butterworth 24db/oct high pass should allow for the maximum (safe) LF content from a SS15 from the discussion earlier -- I just couldn't verify that by ear with my music.
It is much easier to look at the cone movement with pink noise and determine that at whatever level you consider "full tilt boogie" the cone does not exceed Xmax by much.

With the 3015LF, as long as the peak to peak movement is around 3/4 inch or less, the speaker is in the safe zone as far as excursion.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:11 PM   #969
diyAudio Member

Okay, sorry Jim for the wrong Dutch interpretation my side. The last filter (12dB/oct + EQs) settings I gave should give you the lowest possible response. The idea behind the 12dB/oct is to use the lowest slope that is similar to the natural roll-off of the cab. The downside is that it starts cutting from 100Hz so you need one broadband para eq to compensate that. The second small band EQ (at 40Hz) is an attempt to compensate about 50% at 40Hz. All settings are based on your Smaart Graph that shows roll-off from 60Hz.

Last edited by Djim; 18th April 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 19th April 2011, 07:30 AM   #970
diyAudio Member

Hi all

Please point me towards the latest SS15 plan. Somehow, I just can't locate it.

Crank

Hide this!Advertise here!