Single sheet TH challenge - Page 96 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2011, 09:42 PM   #951
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Chaps - funny how the English guys really haven't picked up on the TH's yet.
Sold off my FLH's because the TH's sound so much better. Glad to hear you like them as much as I do.

Djim - not sure about Chaps but I haven't had to EQ mine.
Run LP at 151 Hz with a 24 db LR and a 24 db LR HP at 33 Hz. But at same time I have not had time to do real test to see where I would even need to. Might get some time to do that next week.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:48 PM   #952
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
Chaps - funny how the English guys really haven't picked up on the TH's yet.
Sold off my FLH's because the TH's sound so much better. Glad to hear you like them as much as I do.
I think it's because they tend to use huge stacks of FLH's that have enough mouth area in aggregate to get low without going TH.

How many folks in the US start out with 8 or more bins?
Old 16th April 2011, 10:59 PM   #953
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
Djim - not sure about Chaps but I haven't had to EQ mine.
Run LP at 151 Hz with a 24 db LR and a 24 db LR HP at 33 Hz. But at same time I have not had time to do real test to see where I would even need to. Might get some time to do that next week.
Thanks Flip, could you let me know when you fire your babies if you have the feeling your LF is dropping?
Old 17th April 2011, 01:56 AM   #954
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Chaps, how much EQ do you use and what kind of low-cut filter are you using?
No EQ on subs at all. LR48dB HP filter .. Didn't think the subs really needed any adjustments at first, but the plan is to find a place where i can do some prober testing and maybe do some adjustments on them - if needed
Old 17th April 2011, 03:47 AM   #955
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
No EQ on subs at all. LR48dB HP filter .. Didn't think the subs really needed any adjustments at first, but the plan is to find a place where i can do some prober testing and maybe do some adjustments on them - if needed
Indeed that's the perfect setting for Linkwitz-Riley 48dB/Oct, pity you don't have access to Butterworth. If you are going to check try this setting: 40Hz / Q= 4 / Gain= +5dB

Last edited by Djim; 17th April 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 17th April 2011, 01:38 PM   #956
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Indeed that's the perfect setting for Linkwitz-Riley 48dB/Oct, pity you don't have access to Butterworth. If you are going to check try this setting: 40Hz / Q= 4 / Gain= +5dB

djim:

I know they don't measure flat to 40, but they sure do sound good.
I have only used a 2-3db bump at 45hz before when running 40hz LR 48db/oct.

I did get around to trying the 32hz BUT 24db high pass that was suggested a few pages back. Yea it seems to keep excursion in check as predicted and did add a couple db in the 40hz department, enough that I eliminated the eq bump when running this way.

From ear anyway both sound similar... But then 28hz&32hz d&b isn't my thing.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:41 PM   #957
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
djim: I know they don't measure flat to 40, but they sure do sound good. I have only used a 2-3db bump at 45hz before when running 40hz LR 48db/oct. I did get around to trying the 32hz BUT 24db high pass that was suggested a few pages back. Yea it seems to keep excursion in check as predicted and did add a couple db in the 40hz department, enough that I eliminated the eq bump when running this way. From ear anyway both sound similar... But then 28hz&32hz d&b isn't my thing.
There are more possibilities you could try although it's true that not everybody needs it: High-Pass (low-cut) = 12dB/Oct at 47Hz (Butterworth)
Para EQ = 38Hz / Q = 2 / Gain = +4,4dB (make up for the filter)
Para EQ = 40Hz / Q = 6 / Gain = +6,0dB (make up for the system)

Jbell, your SS15 sounds good no question about it but I guess everybody has is own reason for judging what is necessary for LF or not. It's just I don't agree with a statement that d&B is the only music genre that benefits form LF extension. Pop and rock these days also use the same technologies that makes LF possible in recordings. Besides pop and rock, dance oriented music is fully accepted over here in Europe and D&B is just a small genre within. A good example are the big (rock?)festivals that program dance oriented acts for the last 10 years or so. 30 years ago almost no one cared or understood LF figures, freq plots, extended excursion or kilowatts. Today all leading brands offer that extra LF extension simply because there is music for it and a market that demands it because they understand the technology behind it a little better. That's how I see it.

Last edited by Djim; 17th April 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 17th April 2011, 09:41 PM   #958
diyAudio Member

Since the 3015LF had a crazy price increase, thought I'd share this:

A lot more power, but a lot more 40Hz

(This example uses an inductor (@ Le) with isn't necessarily needed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPL SS15 (4) 15N850v2 vs (4) 3015LF soho54's corner.jpg (79.6 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg IN SS15 15N850v2 soho54's corner.jpg (93.9 KB, 432 views)

Last edited by CRESCENDO; 17th April 2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Note
Old 17th April 2011, 10:09 PM   #959
diyAudio Member

Same BMS 15N850v2 driver, 5 more liters than the SS15 (226 vs 231) - nice little shift to the left.
Old 18th April 2011, 01:09 AM   #960
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
Since the 3015LF had a crazy price increase, thought I'd share this: A lot more power, but a lot more 40Hz. (This example uses an inductor (@ Le) with isn't necessarily needed)
Cresendo, would you be so kind to share the price of an 1200 watt rms inductor that doesn't saturate at these levels? Secondly, would you be so kind when you leave out the inductor to show us group delay and transient plots? And if you found those plots you might realise that you can build 9x SS15's + the extra wood with 18Sound 15W700 drivers that do not have any delay, transient or response issues in the SS15

Hide this!Advertise here!