Single sheet TH challenge - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2011, 09:29 PM   #941
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

I checked other day and
Eminence was out of stock on the 3015LF so we can assume everyone is back ordered.

Also I have only purchased video equipment from
B&H. Normally they have a superb customer service.

On those grills.
They are the same as the Dayton one over at PE. FYI they also have a square hole version. And note they are sold in pairs.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:02 PM   #942
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
Cescendo - yes and no - these are what I use
Dayton Audio SG2230-8RFL Flat Metal Grill Pair
What have you found to best to cut those with?
Old 14th April 2011, 11:18 PM   #943
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Any metal shears

14 Gauge Swivel Head Shear

I use some Dewalt one's I got at a pawn shop.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:46 PM   #944
diyAudio Member

So, whats the consensus on mixing THs with folded horns (i.e. SS15s w/T48s, etc) or mixing different THs with each other (i.e. SS15s w/Furysubs)?
Old 15th April 2011, 01:25 AM   #945
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
So, whats the consensus on mixing THs with folded horns (i.e. SS15s w/T48s, etc) or mixing different THs with each other (i.e. SS15s w/Furysubs)?
Combining multiples of the same type of LF cabinets results in a predictable 6 dB increase in level when two equally powered cabinets are combined.
The phase response of different TH or folded horns all vary, as does path length.
Mixing speakers with different path lengths and phase response will result in comb filtering (dips and peaks in response).
To coherently combine the response of different speaker cabinets, different DSP needs to be applied to each unit. Simple in theory, but difficult to do properly in array.

In other words, mixing different cabinet types will sometimes result in as much as a 6 dB increase at some frequencies, but can also result in dips of 10 dB or more at other frequencies.
The net gain/loss, instead of being +6 dB, could be anywhere between +6 and -6 depending on the cabinet types being "mixed".

That's my consensus.

Art
Old 15th April 2011, 12:51 PM   #946
diyAudio Member

Having looked into metal speaker grills in the past, I'm wondering if they affect output of the box. At best they seem to have a net opening square footage of around 60 percent of total square footage. Does this lower the SPL by blocking airflow? Is grillcloth any better? I really like the look, but is there a price to pay?
Old 15th April 2011, 01:27 PM   #947
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
At the moment I am running 2 ss15 and 2 t48 across the front of stage. I would not recommend it and I'm only doing it out of necessity for a shortish time. I think I have been lucky with the comb filtering because although it has reduced the volume in the direct centre (power alley) area, it has filled in a couple of dips off to the sides that I had with 4t48.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:00 PM   #948
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

So .. Yesterday was the first time with opportunity to give all four SS15 a go ..
Had them lined up in center in front of the stage. Powered by MC2 E4-75 providing a maximum of 750W pr. box ..
I do mobile disco jobs, so a lot of modern music, both hip hop and dance stuff. Crossed them at 120Hz and HP at 40Hz. -Lots of bass! .. Must say i'm very impressed of this little thing. Weighs nothing and quite cheap driver, but they absolutely kick! .. Don't think i needed more low end for what i do. No problems feeling the kick and bass. We had an hour to play before the guets arrived, so we got to really crank them up. Couldn't help smiling the hole time .. Most of the night the amp flashed in the -12dB LED and don't think we saw the -6dB flashing, even when the music was fairly loud. Very nice to know that there is a lot of headroom in boxes as well as amp.
All in all .. Very satisfied with this build. Don't think i've ever come across a single 15" that will match it in output (at least not yet) .. All of you thinking of building these babies - get cracking!
Old 16th April 2011, 03:40 PM   #949
diyAudio Member

Nice! I still haven't heard mine play. Can't wait!!
Old 16th April 2011, 03:56 PM   #950
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post