Single sheet TH challenge - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2011, 06:56 PM   #561
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Don,

I definitely found those post helpful, thanks.

I set PrimoPDF as my default printer, and print from Acad into PrimoPDF. That gives me a .pdf file that the can be posted, as a bonus the file is a lot smaller. PrimoPDF still has a free download version.

Regards,
Old 9th March 2011, 07:24 PM   #562
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Jbell and Oliver, I just had a thought for the SS15. I've made a small correction suggestion for the SS15 to make it more close to the ideal HornResp layout and maybe it will help in the low end efficiency... This correction makes the total length just a little shorter by just a couple of inches in favour to the overall path-expansion. As far I can see it is possible within the 1 sheet challenge. Any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB_02.jpg (80.3 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by Djim; 9th March 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:55 PM   #563
diyAudio Member

Hi DJIM - I've always been a little "anal" about folding Tapped Horns. Soon after Jim did his SS15, I spent an hour "fixing" his design, but it was a waste
of time. Short of changing the box volume or the folding method, nothing I did was going to add 1dB or lower the response 1Hz.

Here is a GIF of my version ... I can email you a .DWG
Attached Images
File Type: gif SmallBell.gif (5.5 KB, 375 views)
Old 9th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #564
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Djim,

I have tried that general approach on paper, but it looks like everytime I reduce the L12 distance, and the S1 area, the upper frequency response smoothens out. So that's the direction I would suggest at this point. I haven't said much about it, as the SS15 is just about as good, and as simple as you can get under the general limitations of the single board challenge (or so).

I'll attach a typical example, that is a lot larger, but would improve on the output of the SS15 (on paper):

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011_Mar01_mod_5_Try2.pdf (23.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 9th March 2011, 08:14 PM   #565
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Snyder View Post
Hi DJIM - I've always been a little "anal" about folding Tapped Horns. Soon after Jim did his SS15, I spent an hour "fixing" his design, but it was a waste
of time. Short of changing the box volume or the folding method, nothing I did was going to add 1dB or lower the response 1Hz.

Here is a GIF of my version ... I can email you a .DWG
Hey Don, I know lowering the response is not possible as total volume and path length don’t increase. In this case I just added the ‘wasted’ space/volume at the beginning of the TH. But probably you are right the added volume is to small to show (significant) changes. Maybe it’s just that I don’t like the idea of a non used space when it can be added to the system.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:20 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll attach my drawings in pdf format, it was done late at night, let me know if you find any big errors..
tb46; I am looking at the drawings now, but have most of the paper work at work?
Quote:
There seems to be no real improvement over the original SS15, and there is a larger dip @ 144Hz than in the SS15.
Did you sim it in hornresp? Can you post the setting screen and SPL graph? When I simed it it looked better.
Thanks for all your work. Andy

Last edited by 4pyros; 9th March 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:35 PM   #567
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

It's entertaining envisioning your minds warping inside out trying to improve this -- which is exactly why I started this thread in the first place !!
(being serious here, I'm grateful for the help)

Oliver, now that's a stadium horn !! big and bold.

Last edited by jbell; 9th March 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:38 PM   #568
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi Djim,

I have tried that general approach on paper, but it looks like everytime I reduce the L12 distance, and the S1 area, the upper frequency response smoothens out. So that's the direction I would suggest at this point. I haven't said much about it, as the SS15 is just about as good, and as simple as you can get under the general limitations of the single board challenge (or so).

I'll attach a typical example, that is a lot larger, but would improve on the output of the SS15 (on paper):

Regards,
Hi Oliver, my suggestion fits within the one sheet challenge so thatís not the problem, I think. The increase of volume at the blue points 10 and 11 in your drawing can have an effect on the lower response. Your Ďrolled outí pathway isnít showing everything as the 'dip' between 10 and 11 is going deeper then your dashed line suggests (make an extra point in between and youíll see it). So thatís why I was thinking hmmm interesting... you donít need extra wood and the extra space is already there... Maybe not significant but it canít hurt.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:05 PM   #569
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's entertaining envisioning your minds warping inside out trying to improve this
He said "warping" Ha Ha
Old 9th March 2011, 09:07 PM   #570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are also quite a few good size gaps in the drawing when inserting your dimensions
That may be the english 3/4" to metric 18mm convershoin.

Hide this!Advertise here!