Single sheet TH challenge

who's talking major $$ ?? that's kinda the DIY point.

a pair of powered qsc K12's over a quad of ss15's with a single crown or qsc amp w/crossover would run $2500-$3000.

I know my brother did a bar with all EV... !@#$ was that place loud. To be perfectly honest, it sucked. It was so loud everywhere, that you couldn't tell what the sound system sounded like.

The TH's that give you some bass directionality, coupled with a reasonable top with good pattern allows you to have club level in one place, and still be able to talk elsewhere... THAT is the key to a club system.

To give some idea of this club:

Then: 6 CV 15" 3-ways for tops, two CV 18" FL horns for bass

Now: Rented equipment - 4 18" "scoops" (loaded with BNC drivers) for bass, tops unknown - some DIY design from Trinidad loaded with a 15", a 10" and a compression horn. A WT3 test on the scoops suggests that they're turned to 35 Hz.

What they're currently considering: Four of the previously-mentioned EV 18" subs for bass, and rebuilding the previously-mentioned CV full range boxes.

I suspect that the EV 18" subs may be a step down from what they're currently using :).

I'll mention your ideas to him.

Tell him to build (2) Berta's with the mouth extensions (Levan) Insane Bass from them!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/188406-now-sub-bertha-w-bin.html

Personally I don't think the ss15's will be enough for a club considering the tuning...Many songs will have content below the tuning and can kill the drivers pretty easily (without proper monitoring of clipping etc)

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the ss15's will be enough for a club considering the tuning...Many songs will have content below the tuning and can kill the drivers pretty easily (without proper monitoring of clipping etc)

Yes, the SS15 MUST HAVE it's highpass. 32hz butterworth 24db/oct minimum.

Yes, dnb, etc has content below 40hz that may be needed in a club. However the first thing that is requirement, is that the brother needs to be convinced of the advantages of TH. Only when that is accomplished can he start considering what low cutoff and spl targets he wants to achieve.

Ohh I kno about the high pass on it. But even with it set up, on a heavy bass track with a DJ pushing the system for more output, he will probably drive the amps to clipping not paying attention etc etc. That's what I was referring to. I guess I was saying it from
More of a headroom perspective. It's better to have more headroom and not worry.

Hi there, Brian Steele i'm from TRINIDAD the DIY top from Trinidad loaded with a 15", a 10" and a compression horn.Is a copy of the EAW KF850z top

Thanks. It is an identical copy (e.g. same drivers), or is just the box built the same as the original and different drivers are being used?

One of my brothers indicated that it lacked midrange, but that may be due to "boomt-iss" tuning by the DJ (if you're really a trini, you'd know that term, LOL. The non-trinis here should be able to figure it out :)). I wasn't in the club long enough to have a look at how they were being driven.

BTW, sometimes copying (or rebuilding) a commercial system may raise some interesting issues - see my attempts at rebuilding the CV tops here - So, my brother brought over 4 blown Cerwin-Vega Pro Stax PSX-153 speakers... - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

For the European DIY builders on a very tight budget there is a cheap alternative driver for the SS15, the DAP AB-15 that you can find for about 80 Euro's.

Although factory specs suggest it is rated as 400W continue and 800W max, I wouldn't go beyond 500Watts that much. Still, for the price for one 3015lf you can have 2 Dap's.

Hi, that is certainly a nice price, and your simulation also looks good.

I've found a few places to buy these, but I can't find any T/S or other detailed specs on these. What data did you use to simulate it? Or where can the data be found? Is it official or measured?

At a woofer this price, it's probably best to invest in a woofer tester to make sure the parameters don't deviate too much. But at 1/4 of the current price of the 3015 (50% price hike - ouch!) that's definitely in the budget.

Hi guys, just thought id share my SS15s!

08102011977.jpg

17102011980.jpg

17102011981.jpg

17102011982.jpg

17102011983.jpg

19102011987.jpg

sorry for the bad ones.

the only issue i had was that my sheets are 1200x2400 not 8x4 so its slightly less deep and a smidge short. but they still sound awesome! cant wait to flex them on the weekend.!

I find similar when I compare domestic listening with different roll-off frequencies.
Lower than 20Hz by a factor of 10 sounds better than lower than 20Hz by a factor of 2, i.e. I can hear the difference between F-3dB =10Hz and F-3dB =2Hz.
My speaker specification says I should not be able to hear that amplifier difference.

F-3dB=30Hz is seriously altering the audio spectrum response.
But, which is more important contended paying customers or broken equipment?

Last edited: