Single sheet TH challenge - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2011, 01:03 AM   #541
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

A mouse can get through a 1/4" square opening, trust me.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:20 AM   #542
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I read that 45 degree deflectors are no good, your thoughts?
That statement (I was one of them) was based on the wrong assumption that they were working as sound-wave reflectors. The main role for corner bracing is to optimise corner volumes. That’s why I prefer to call them optimisers instead of ‘de-or-re-flectors’.

Quote:
Should I do the corners of the other 180 degree bend as well? Would it be worth it to use one half of a 10" pipe in that bend?
I shouldn’t do the 180 degree corners. I only changed your 180 degree bend in your example as you drawing showed a minor error in expansion at this point. Maybe it's just the drawing but in Oliver new drawing that would show up. Your 10” pipe suggestion is something you can try although I prefer to keep my cabs out of wood.

Quote:
So you are saying the additional deflectors would keep the air molecules moving faster around the outside of the bends?
Nope, these optimisers have almost no effect on the higher speed air molecules that are passing along the outside of a bend and that is exactly what you want! Corners without optimisers can have a negative effect on the speed of the air molecules along the outside of a corner. So it is not just the volume error that is involved here. Also the positions of these corners are related to their corresponding wavelength. The only problem is that the wavelength isn’t always the same but that needs a much longer explanation or Akakbak if you want practical results...
Old 9th March 2011, 01:31 AM   #543
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A mouse can get through a 1/4" square opening, trust me.
Maybe but I did not want to effect the sound. Lets call it a deterant.
Maybe i will put a screen on the inside as well.

Andy

Last edited by 4pyros; 9th March 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:43 AM   #544
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pyros View Post
Justin; I am using expanded and flattened aluminum with 1 X 3/8 slots mainly to keep the mice out. Picked up 2 4'X8' sheets from a local aluminum supplyer for $75 total. Its listed in McMasterCarr for a lot more.
Andy
This stuff sturdy enough to be used to brace the mouth of the SS15 like recommended?

Justin
Old 9th March 2011, 01:54 AM   #545
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This stuff sturdy enough to be used to brace the mouth of the SS15 like recommended?
No Justin its just enough to cover the hole. You can look into the steel expanded sheets from the same vendor for sturdier stuff. I will not need it as my box will be 3/4" ply with bracing. Andy
Old 9th March 2011, 02:04 AM   #546
jbell is online now jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

andy -- I'll repeat myself... if you are going to prototype a cabinet that has never been built -- don't waste your baltic birch prototyping.

Go buy 3/4" flakeboard subfloor or cdx or something like that... Don't glue your second side on and don't glue your additional braces/boards until you are positive they have the effect you want. 3/8" door gasket foam and screws will get you an air tight seal.

If you want something mouse proof -- petscreen.
Old 9th March 2011, 02:16 AM   #547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I only changed your 180 degree bend in your example as you drawing showed a minor error in expansion at this point.
Djim; I just paralleled the new piece to the 14 3/8" board and so both dimensions came out to 5 1/2". This seamed fine on the unfolded hand drawing I did but it could be off. So you moved the new 7 5/16 board? What would the new upper dimension be? Andy
Old 9th March 2011, 02:22 AM   #548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
andy -- I'll repeat myself... if you are going to prototype a cabinet that has never been built
Yes Jim I know, I will work on the money man about that. At least it was designed from a good box! The baltic birch comes next Wendsday. Starting into a time crunch.
Andy
Old 9th March 2011, 02:23 AM   #549
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It was pure an example based on your drawing and not on your measurement numbres. I need accurate drawings before I can tell you anything in detail.
Old 9th March 2011, 02:28 AM   #550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you want something mouse proof -- petscreen
As in vinyl?

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/pet-screen.php

Can the mice eat thru it?
Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!