Single sheet TH challenge - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 09:27 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

This is my rendition of Jim's SSTH15 using 3/4" ply. It sims a little better, go's lower with more SPL than the original, but uses more wood. I added an extra board in the top center to remove the restriction whare the 5.5" widths are now and dropped the bottom about 2" to remove the last restriction. When unfolded all the main lines line up almost perfectly. I did it all by hand and I think it came out pretty good. Maybe someone could draw it electronicly for me. The only other copy I have is a full scale 1 to 1 drawing I did by hand and a half hight unfolded drawing.
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSTH15 by Andy.JPG (39.4 KB, 422 views)
Old 7th March 2011, 11:50 PM   #522
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
Well, this answer is only....EXACTLY what I was looking for

So, with the system setup this way, will the drivers/amp not get damaged from under-powering and hitting the limiter constantly (IF the performer treats the mixer's output to do so)?

Using the SS15 as an example, how does this setup compare (other than dollars & cents) to a setup where the amp has 500W/63V to 1000W/89V rms available per driver with the brick wall limiter set to a few dB below 63V?

Last, but not least: I remember you speaking of going from the amp output to a top, that top to the subs and the subs to the other top. This is with using 12GA ext cord for speaker wire with speakons, right? Would you mind further explaining how this all works?

Regards,
Justin
Here's the bit of info I think you are looking for. The xti's have binding post or speakon's for speaker out connections. Channel 1 connection is a 2 pole speakon (has both channel 1 and 2) and channel 2 has only a single (channel 2 only) speakon.

Make up several lengths of 2 channel speakon connector cables using extension cord, White to Channel 1 +, Black to Channel 2+ and Green to Channel 1 and 2 minus. On all cabinets wire a pair of speakons with all 4 connectors in parallel, and for your tops take 1+ and 1- to your crossover/drivers, on your subs take 2+ and 2- to your sub drivers. You can then run from your amp to whatever cabinet is closest, and daisy chain your tops/subs in whatever manner works best.

One xlr connector from your mixer to your amp, one speakon connector from your amp to all of your speaker cabinets.

Chimp proof.

As to your amp question, limiting at 250watts per sub, verses limiting to 500watts is about 2db difference. (the power rating of a 3015lf is 450watts, although there is evidence in a TH that a 3015lf survives a proper setup up past the 450watt rating.) I think your question is more in line with a soft limiter and the crest available from a bigger capacity amp on a soft clip vs a brick wall limiter. My opinion -- Brick wall is brick wall. I also think that of the folks that don't like xti's for running subs -- this is exactly the issue. The xti puts out rated power, that's it. For folks that depend on a crest above the power rating of the amp to get through the evening -- they are disappointed in xti's.

If you 'really' need that 2db or more, a 3rd sub gets you slightly more output than going to a bigger amp (because of power compression), and a 3rd sub with a bigger amp gets you even more -- it's all about how much do you need. I've not seen anyone destroy a 3015lf driver by clipping/overdriving the input on an xti1000 -- it just sounds bad.

Last edited by jbell; 8th March 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 8th March 2011, 01:45 PM   #523
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #521

Hi Andy,

I could put your drawing into Acad, it may take until this weekend though. What is the actual thickness of the plywood you are using, 18mm? You could take a stack of 10 pieces of scrap, and measure that. These are your final dimensions?

Regards,
Old 8th March 2011, 02:00 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pyros View Post
This is my rendition of Jim's SSTH15 using 3/4" ply. It sims a little better, go's lower with more SPL than the original, but uses more wood. I added an extra board in the top center to remove the restriction whare the 5.5" widths are now and dropped the bottom about 2" to remove the last restriction. When unfolded all the main lines line up almost perfectly. I did it all by hand and I think it came out pretty good. Maybe someone could draw it electronicly for me. The only other copy I have is a full scale 1 to 1 drawing I did by hand and a half hight unfolded drawing.
Andy
Andy:

Do yourself a favor, build one with 3/4" cdx and test before you cut into all of your beautiful expensive baltic birch.
Old 8th March 2011, 03:57 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I could put your drawing into Acad, it may take until this weekend though. What is the actual thickness of the plywood you are using, 18mm? You could take a stack of 10 pieces of scrap, and measure that. These are your final dimensions?
Thanks Oliver I realy, realy appreciate it!
Yes these are the final dimensions. It looked good unfolded and simed.
I will be using 18mm thick plywood.
Can Acad do the path dimensions and the unfolded drawing too?
Andy
Old 8th March 2011, 04:06 PM   #526
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

hi jbell.
im a little confused about the thiele smal parameters of the 3015lf
there seems to be a lower bl factor on the fab specs?
did you measure yours?
Click the image to open in full size.
regards erik

Last edited by epa; 8th March 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 8th March 2011, 04:13 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do yourself a favor, build one with 3/4" cdx and test before you cut into all of your beautiful expensive baltic birch.
Jim; Wish I could but the money man wants to test two with the good plywood. We had to order 25 sheets so we sould have a few extra, if the 1st two end up only being good for bonfires. Andy
Old 8th March 2011, 04:16 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
hi jbell.
im a little confused about the thiele smal parameters of the 3015lf
there seems to be a lower bl factor on the fab specs?
did you measure yours?
regards erik
3015lf changed? - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

I was just using the 'old' eminence parameters in my sims... however I don't see much difference one vs the other in the ss15.
I should either measure or at least use the new 2010 build parameters.
Old 8th March 2011, 04:26 PM   #529
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
3015lf changed? - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

I was just using the 'old' eminence parameters in my sims... however I don't see much difference one vs the other in the ss15.
I should either measure or at least use the new 2010 build parameters.
tnx jim.
ive missed that.
thats maybe we dont use eminence as much on this side of the pond
Old 8th March 2011, 04:39 PM   #530
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There are other reasons Epa

Hide this!Advertise here!