Single sheet TH challenge

You guys are concentrating on Xmax way to much. You can't compare drivers just by their specs of Xmax sine each brand uses their own method of calculating Xmax. Even worse, some brands use different methods for every range they have got!

In case of the SS15 with its 1/3 wavelength of 47-50HZ, which is above the Fs of the driver (44Hz), in my opinion that means its excursion behaviour is similar to bass reflex (or 6th order bandpass types if you want to be more precise). By the time you run out of Xmax your driver probably suffers from more then 2,5dB power/dynamic compression so you almost need twice the power to reach the calculated Xmax from HornResp.

And congrats for your 1000 posts Jbell, knowing the end is not even near!

Last edited:
run the hornresp for the kappa pro 15lf... it runs lower xmax while producing within a db of the same sound. It stays within xmax at 63v

Xlim is higher on the KP15LF2. Undistorted output is a dB higher with the neo version, but the damage point is about the same. The LF2 actually models better in front loaders than the 3015 in terms of response smoothness.

But looking ahead, I'll probably be buying 15TBX100's which are less than $300 and model better in most any type of enclosure - front loaded, tapped, bandpass, or conventional. At least until neodymium prices get reasonable again. That may or may not ever happen.

Dave - How much difference and What difference.
If it is on the upper band. Probably none at all.

Everyone else
I do not get it. This thread is about a single thing. An enclosure made from a single sheet of ply. Yet SO many people post things off this topic. There is only one other single sheet listed in here and that is the ttqwp (is that correct? LOL)
Go look at ScreamerUSA's FurySub and the Apache MK2.
There are others. ALL of which are relatively the same.

In Tb46s post #997 I think, the graphs show the comparison between the 18sound and the 3015lf. It's a few db down at 60 but has a bit more extension. I'll just have to build one and test it I suppose. :)
Before you test it you need to look at a few things first. The SS15 is designed for a driver with a relative low BL driver. When you are going to use a high BL driver in such design it may show acceptable SPL predictions but you also need to pay attention to Group Delay.
In case of an optimised TH for low BL drivers you will often see a peak in group delay at max excursion point when you fit them with a high BL driver. For a cheap driver it may be acceptable but high BL drivers are often expensive. So would you like to use an expensive driver, such as the 18Sound, in a non optimised cab?

...while exceeding xmax by 3mm, no? I believe you have to reduce input power to 200W to bring the displacement to the rated/published xmax (which in turn brings down SPL quite a bit...).

If all of the sub-$200 3015LF's go bye-bye, I think the next best bet (response wise) would be the RCF L15P200AK 15" Woofer at $259/ea or even better, the 4 ohm variant -- IF you can find it in the states.

run the hornresp for the kappa pro 15lf... it runs lower xmax while producing within a db of the same sound. It stays within xmax at 63v

Sooo, turns out I had a different spec sheet for the Kappa Pro 15LF-2 than the one I just dwnloaded...

BUT, I show xmax (6.7mm) being exceeded at 59Hz when using 63v (9.74mm)... Do I have my enclosure specs off or am I missing something else?...

Attachments

• IN SS15 Kappa Pro-15LF-2 soho54's corner.jpg
    IN SS15 Kappa Pro-15LF-2 soho54's corner.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 861
  • DIS SS15 Kappa Pro-15LF-2 soho54's corner excd x@59Hz 450W.jpg
    DIS SS15 Kappa Pro-15LF-2 soho54's corner excd x@59Hz 450W.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 855
  • Kappa Pro-15LF-2.jpg
    Kappa Pro-15LF-2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 857
  • Kappa Pro-15LF2.jpg
    Kappa Pro-15LF2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 825
Sooo, turns out I had a different spec sheet for the Kappa Pro 15LF-2 than the one I just dwnloaded...

BUT, I show xmax (6.7mm) being exceeded at 59Hz when using 63v (9.74mm)... Do I have my enclosure specs off or am I missing something else?...
You seem to use the old specs of the driver that show better Thiele-Small parameters.

The Kappa Pro-15LF-2 at 53 volt has a theoretical HornResp excursion of 10,5mm. The reality is this drivers suffers from at least 3dB pwr/dyn compression at Xmax. This means you will need twice the power to reach Xmax in reality.

Xmax theoretical = 40V at 6,12Ohm = 265Watt
Xmax theoretical -3dB pwr/dyn compression = 530Watt

Like I said at LEAST 3dB so powering this driver to its 600 watts continues power rating is absolutely NO problem!

That's why I said people are way to much concentrating on theoretical Xmax while they don't seem (or want?) to understand the impact of power/dynamic compression. Although I never work with Eminence the 3dB seems to be the (lowest) value I get from other users.
As far as I know only RCF and 18Sound include pwr compression data with their drivers.

Last edited:
Oh, wow. Great to know - thank you! (off to do research on how to calculate pwr/dyn compression for all my previously-poor-performing drivers now) :)
I'm afraid it doesn't work that easy. Every type of driver has different pwr/dyn comp levels. Also the design of the cab influence this point. In case of the SS15 where its 1/3 wavelength is above the Fs of the driver in free space, the excursion behaves just like under normal circumstances and therefore pwr/dyn comp levels are very similar to basreflex (or 6th order designs if you want to be more precise). If your TH's 1/3WL is much below the Fs of the loudspeaker in free space, the pwr comp levels will be lower as max excursion will be reached with much less power.

Power compression is coupled to power input of the driver.
Dynamic compression is coupled to the physical excursion of the driver.

The problem is every Brand uses their own method of calculating Xmax and since they are often not coupled to distortion or pwr comp figures it is difficult to predict these levels. That's why I stated my info the "at least 3dB for 3015lf" is based on information from 3th parties. That power and dynamic compression is important is also the reason why some less high Xmax drivers can perform much better in reality. Therefore using Xmax and calculating max excursion as absolute variables will not give accurate results and can be far from reality.

Last edited:
I think the next best bet (response wise) would be the RCF L15P200AK 15" Woofer at $259/ea
That's why I would like to see a direct comparison between the 3015lf and the old RCF classic L15P200AK. Both driver have similar specs when it comes to Xmax and Xlim but it wouldn't surprise me to see the RCF outperforms the 3015lf in max SPL (and not by just a couple dB's or sound ;) ).

Last edited:
In case of the SS15 where its 1/3 wavelength is above the Fs of the driver in free space, the excursion behaves just like under normal circumstances and therefore pwr/dyn comp levels are very similar to basreflex (or 6th order designs if you want to be more precise). If your TH's 1/3WL is much below the Fs of the loudspeaker in free space, the pwr comp levels will be lower as max excursion will be reached with much less power.

So, since the L15P200AK's Fs is even lower than the 3015LF's, does this suggest its pwr comp levels will be higher and xmax will take much more power to reach?

That's why I would like to see a direct comparison between the 3015lf and the old RCF classic L15P200AK. Both driver have similar specs when it comes to Xmax and Xlim but it wouldn't surprise me to see the RCF outperforms the 3015lf in max SPL (and not by just a couple dB's or sound ;) ).

In the UK the Eminence 3015lf is currently retailing at about £137
As an alternative I think that the Precision Devices 15" Neo. PDN15BR40 looks to be a good match. It retails at approx £158, is rated at 700W AES, & has a X max of 10.5mm. Maybe more importantly it has a 4" voice coil compared with the Eminence 3".
As usual no figures for thermal compression. :(
The only quoted thermal compression figures I can find on Precision Devices site are for the PD1850 18" (1.6db at 800W) and the PD1851 (1.7db at 1000W)
The low thermal compression of the PD 18" drivers is no doubt helped by the 5" voice coils.:D

Crescendo, I have to apologise for my fuzzy explanation:scratch:. Besides the language barrier and between all kinds of work, it still difficult to explain in a few words but I’ll try.When people (including myself) talk about power compression it is not always clear what part of the pwr comp. they are referring too:

1.) Thermal power compression: which is the result of electrical values. More power input means more temp rise (which leads to increase of resistance and such)

2.) Dynamic power compression: which is the result of physical values. The higher the excursion becomes the higher the dynamic power compression values become.

When a driver is forced to go below its own Fs excursion will (dramatically) rise as frequency drops. When the driver Fs is higher than the Fs of the system, the Xmax will be reached with less power. But the confusion started when I stated
If your TH's 1/3WL is much below the Fs of the loudspeaker in free space, the pwr comp levels will be lower as max excursion will be reached with much less power.
Instead I should have stated: If your TH's 1/3WL is much below the Fs of the loudspeaker in free space, the thermal pwr comp levels will be lower as max excursion will be reached with much less power. The dynamic compression figures will be higher as max excursion will be reached with less power.

Now back to your question;
So, since the L15P200AK's Fs is even lower than the 3015LF's, does this suggest its pwr comp levels will be higher and xmax will take much more power to reach?
No, I expect the L15P200AK with its lower Fs will have less thermal power compression then the 3015lf at the same power in a SS15. Besides power compression I do have my doubts about the 3015lf Xmax data as given by Eminence. Nobody seems to know how Eminence today calculates their Xmax any longer.What I do know is what people show me in their measurements and these give me reasons to believe that the total power compression figures are higher then 3dB at Xmax.

Therefore I would like to see a side by side comparison of an SS15 loaded with 3015lf and L15P200AK.

Hopefully this makes more sense and is less :hypno2: confusing :hypno2: