Single sheet TH challenge

Hi,

Just as an aside, a $55.-- woofer from 1978 would be $355.-- by 2011 @ 6% annual price increase, and there were no woofers of comparable quality available for $55.-- in 1978.

I know, it still hurts. :)

Regards,

Fortunately several drivers model very well in the ss15 cabinet.
The kappa pro 15LF-2 comes to mind. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-420

Yea it's 25lbs instead of 10, but it's within a db of a 3015lf in output, and half the price.

Anyone remember McGee Radio?

guilty....

Was a kid at the time.... If I wanted to build something (am radio, amplifier, speaker, etc...) dad would tell me to to find his electrical engineering text books, learn, and then when I could explain it to him, he'd buy me the parts...

They moved from mcgee street to broadway, just a few blocks away from electronics supply... and are sadly no more.

cat69McGeeCvr.jpg

Some great prices there...but...in 1972 I built four "Voice of the theater" cabinet for my PA. The altec lansing 15" woofers were $150 dollars each at the time. JBL were about the same. Imagine what those would cost now adjusted for inflation. As an aside, It was about that time that Eminence came onto the seen. They were considered to be of poor quality at the time. Go figure.

In 1978 I was paying $23 for a 7mm x-max woofer that had slightly better T/S parameters.

Anyone remember McGee Radio?

I definitely rememeber McGee - and those 12" Eminence speakers. For a while, PE was selling a verison of them with the lightning bolt on the dust cap - I still use some of these. They were $40 in 1992 - and up to 100 watts would do everything the $200 super subs would do.

Imagine if we had Hornresp back when I was in high school and those woofers were still $23. I may have never gone down the path of large low tuned 18's at all. My first pair of 18" Pyle Drivers were purchased from McGee. They were good back then. But lab horns (or something like it) would have been BETTER!

Some great prices there...but...in 1972 I built four "Voice of the theater" cabinet for my PA. The altec lansing 15" woofers were $150 dollars each at the time. JBL were about the same. Imagine what those would cost now adjusted for inflation. As an aside, It was about that time that Eminence came onto the seen. They were considered to be of poor quality at the time. Go figure.
Almost double that for each driver on this side of the ocean in 1972... But at least we had very cheap Italians........... (that were crap at that time).

Same as usual MrGsR:
Eminence 3015lf, 18Sound 14W700, JBL 265H-1, P.Audio C15-600EL, RCF L15-200AK....
But I think you need an extra piece of wood for this. The idea behind the design is extended LF (at cost of 3dB max) and it should match with an original SS15 and both can be powered with a standard 900watt/4Ohm amp. The total response of the two together should equalize the dips and peaks with no fase issues.

Last edited:
ok im trying to get to grips with Horn resp using the ss15 but ill be honest, i dont have a clue where to start.

I tried typing the parameters that i found in post #54 but i dont know what other setting i need to adjust because its not as straight forward as copying the numbers. :rolleyes:

Im trying to find out if the

http://www.eighteensound.it/renderPdf.aspx?pid=283
18sound 15NLW9400

will work in the ss15. I have a couple of these winging there way to me and im really hoping they could be a high power upgrade over the 3015LF.

They are recommended as such for the t48 so if they dont work in the SS15 then i will stick them in a couple of t48.

Of course i would rather be able to model the speakers myself... :eek:

Fortunately several drivers model very well in the ss15 cabinet.
The kappa pro 15LF-2 comes to mind. Eminence Kappa Pro-15LF-2 15" Cast Frame Driver

Yea it's 25lbs instead of 10, but it's within a db of a 3015lf in output, and half the price.

...while exceeding xmax by 3mm, no? I believe you have to reduce input power to 200W to bring the displacement to the rated/published xmax (which in turn brings down SPL quite a bit...).

If all of the sub-$200 3015LF's go bye-bye, I think the next best bet (response wise) would be the RCF L15P200AK 15" Woofer at $259/ea or even better, the 4 ohm variant -- IF you can find it in the states.

...while exceeding xmax by 3mm, no? I believe you have to reduce input power to 200W to bring the displacement to the rated/published xmax (which in turn brings down SPL quite a bit...).

If all of the sub-$200 3015LF's go bye-bye, I think the next best bet (response wise) would be the RCF L15P200AK 15" Woofer at $259/ea or even better, the 4 ohm variant -- IF you can find it in the states.

run the hornresp for the kappa pro 15lf... it runs lower xmax while producing within a db of the same sound. It stays within xmax at 63v