Single sheet TH challenge - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2011, 08:08 AM   #411
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave for your input. Just a different question. Upto what crowd can you cater, both indoors and outdoors with 4 and 6 cabs per side, as per your estimate?
Old 12th February 2011, 08:26 AM   #412
diyAudio Member

I'd say a cluster of 4 would do 300 indoors ok. I would always keep them stacked centrally if at all possible. I'll have to see how the larger numbers work out. I don't have many shows that need more than 300 crowd indoors so I wouldn't want to speculate.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:10 PM   #413
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave NonZero View Post
After making a few of the t48s I was dubious about the lack of bracing in the SS15, but having made a pair with the 18mm outer panels and no internal braces, I have to say it is still one solid box. I've gigged with them for a couple of weeks now, (that's almost 30 different bands in that time) and they have shown no problems so far. Crowds up to 200.
If you look at the ss15, the most 'unbraced' panels are the top, back and bottom. My 2 little braces tie those together, and while it doesn't completely eliminate flex, it reduces it to very livable levels. 18mm exterior ply would obviously help over 12mm.

Remember my original goal was the lightest, loudest cabinet I could reasonably install. When you are on a lift 20' - 30' in the air, 150lb subs suck. Auroco ply is 42lbs per sheet, 7lb 3015lf driver = 50lb total cabinet, and a happy back at the end of the day. I've actually (before adding grill) carried my ss15's around by the cast aluminum driver frame. (yea I actually use the driver frame as a handle... they are really that light.)

Glad you like your new subs dave.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:41 PM   #414
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Samuel Jayaraj,

What I tried to indicate is that the material thickness seems to have no discernible impact on the SPL curve. You don't need to make the box wider, you can use 1/2" or 5/8" or 3/4" for the inside, or for the outside, it does not affect Hornresp.

That does not mean that it does not affect the audible/measureable results, only building/listening/measuring can tell you that. My guess is that a more solid construction will help the horn output to be closer to the model, but as I'm getting older I agree with jbell: "...lighter is better..".

I'll attach the Hornresp SPL graph for a standard 1/2" wall model and a model with a 1.5" thick center brace. You have to look closely to see the differences.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS15_std_v_1.5_in_braced.jpg (30.7 KB, 589 views)
Old 12th February 2011, 09:07 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and a happy back at the end of the day..)
and thank you for that! I'll let you know how a quad does as soon as I can.
Old 13th February 2011, 01:30 AM   #416
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

So next question is what is the difference in weight?
1 or 2 lbs - IF that?

My Apache's are about 40-45 lbs (estimate) compared to my THMini clones which are about 65-70 lbs. The big deal there is that the Apaches are 3-4 times the size! Major difference is driver. Material is different also. THMini Clones are 2-MDF and other 2 13 ply birch. Apaches are 3/4 cabinet grade from
Home Depot.

The SS15 is slightly smaller than the Apache.
That should make a rather light box.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:01 AM   #417
diyAudio Member

I used spruce 18mm ply which is pretty light but I've not measured them. One has got the 3015lf and the other has jbl 2226. Both are easy one man carries, even tho I havnt put handles on them yet.
Old 14th February 2011, 01:22 PM   #418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave NonZero View Post
I'd say a cluster of 4 would do 300 indoors ok. I would always keep them stacked centrally if at all possible. I'll have to see how the larger numbers work out. I don't have many shows that need more than 300 crowd indoors so I wouldn't want to speculate.
This is what jbell wrote in the other thread, "jbell's set of four tapped...."

Hate to tell you this, but the best upgrade for the big cabinet. (if you don't need mid 30's response) is to put your current drivers in the smaller ss15, and buy a couple more 3015lf's, and have a fleet of 4 ss15's. They will fit in your van...

The big cab is about 102db from 60hz on up, the ss15 is 105db from 60hz on up. So a pair of ss15's vs a pair of big cab's is +6db in that range. It's in the 38-42hz range that the big cabinet really shines, so depending on the music you play, depends on which cabinet is best.

So, a pack of 4 ss15's vs a pair of big cabinets should get you +12db, and be flat to 40 doing it. (and the ss15 is only 50lbs a cabinet... that's the part I really love)

This has left me wondering thus, if jbell is powering a stadium with 4 of the big cabs, I'd expect the small cabs to do better.
Old 14th February 2011, 06:28 PM   #419
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"I'd expect the small cabs to do better. "

For that application?

Probably.

But you live and learn and the original is installed and working, and for the next installation you can use what you learned.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:14 AM   #420
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

OK
Seems like all the drawings in here are different. I have already cut a sheet via the cut sheet. Doesn't seem to line up to the layout drawing.

Post a corrected finalized drawing?

Hide this!Advertise here!