Single sheet TH challenge

djim:

so I make the front panel 1/2" longer and the vertical panel attached to point one, 1/2" shorter to raise the rear of the driver, and things are better?

It would make point 21 bigger, but also point 10-14...

214032d1300127107-single-sheet-th-challenge-tb_roll-out_07.jpg

Last edited:
djim:

so I make the front panel 1/2" longer and the vertical panel attached to point one, 1/2" shorter to raise the rear of the driver, and things are better?

It would make point 21 bigger, but also point 10-14...
Jbell, can you make quick drawing of your changes over the cab as it is? You don’t need to worry to much about expanding corner 10 and 14 cause you can always use corner correction if needed.
Btw, do you have measurements above 120Hz?

Thanks oliver...

Last edited:
Let’s check how accurate Oliver is:

Total path length = 2,4118 meter

1/3 wavelenght = 47Hz (below this point you should see a drop in SPL)
2/3 wavelenght = 94Hz (above this point the design/driver reaches is max efficiency)

Measuring results from JBell & Runrod1948:

40hz 98.5.............40hz 101db
45hz 100.5...........45hz 104db

1/3 wavelenght = 47Hz
50hz 102..............50hz 108db
55hz 103.5...........55hz 109db
60hz 105..............60hz 111db
65hz 105..............65hz 111db
70hz 105..............70hz 112db
75hz 104.5...........75hz 112db
80hz 104.2...........80hz 110db
85hz 104..............85hz 112db
90hz 104..............90hz 113db
2/3 wavelenght = 94Hz
95hz 104..............95hz 112db
100hz 104.5..........100hz 113db
105hz 105............105hz 112db
110hz 105............110hz 112db
115hz 105.5..........115hz 113db
120hz 106.5..........120hz 113db

Or should I say how accurate the builders are?

To me it proves the SS15 is one of the best balanced cabs around and it will be very difficult to get a few dB's extra without losing its low-end. But I still think you can optimise its design, but how far that will result in real dB's???

Last edited:
DJIM:
I'm not sure if I kept measurements above 120, I know I did up through 200hz and it was basically flat, but that's from (faulty) memory -- so take that with a grain of salt... It also snowed last night / this morning, so I'm not doing any outdoor tests just yet....

Here's what I was thinking of. Keep in mind that the 8" board with the angle on it, is the last board cut against the baffle -- and the baffle has zero give in it's dimension, so it is never quite 8", usually it's about 7.75 or so at it's longest.

When I assemble these I always use the 'swinging gate' method. I find point 32-36, and then make the baffle/vertical board fit so that it lines up with that point and the front panel. Everything else is a piece of cake once that is done.

Attachments

• ss15-change.JPG
    ss15-change.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 492
JBell, when I compare it with Oliver’s’ latest HornResp your point 21 is getting even more narrow. But when I look to Oliver’s prediction you see a peak around this freq. So they can equalize each other and maybe that’s why you measured a flat response around this area (in my earlier statement I thought there was a dip in HornResp like in most TH's but that isn’t the case, sorry for that).

My worry is about the dip in prediction of HornResp, so that's why I asked for >120Hz responses.

The ½ inch (12,7mm) rise of the driver-panel brings the narrowing between points 40 and 41 back to 1/8 of the horn path. This means the narrowing now falls with “acceptable tolerances”

By rotating the driver panel just by half that inch and the slightly rotation of the panel above should raise the S2. That would explain why your ‘dip’ around the 90Hz is just 1dB. Did Runrod1948 use your ‘changes’ also?

It looks like you already did changes for the better. But I think we should seriously look at Oliver's suggestion earlier on this threat.

Last edited:
ss15-2.82v-VS-28.3V_05.jpg

Remember this? In the last picture you can see how your SS15 looses it's effectiveness when driving harder. This is the result of BL dropping and complex air mass and speed changes. That's why I asked you a while ago to measure your SS15 at full load. And this is the real key for improvement.

Or does anyone design PA cabs for 1V/1m use or believe HornResp predictions at Xmax and *higher*...:rolleyes:

(*higher* = [Xmax +Xlim] : 2 :D)

Hi jbell,

You have done such a fine job with the original SS15 layout that I don't think it will improve acoustically, but if you want to redesign the exact locations for the internal baffles then maybe the changes that I proposed for 4pyros in Post #627 would be applicable. It would require working all the way through the hornpath, just tilting the driver baffle, and the opposing board won't quite do it. You have to find the correct angle to arrive at the correct internal path width to fill the complete width of the box across the top (hope that makes sense), then you continue that same angle down the horn section at the backboard to the point where it meets with a board coming of the right lower corner of the driver baffle (right angle to the driver baffle). I've done this a number of times now, and it is time consuming, and just to make it more fun it changes everytime you tilt, and or raise or lower, the driver baffle, or the driver position (sometimes only slightly, but it changes). And just because you improved the flow through the horn does not mean, that the composite output is also improved; maybe quite to the contrary.

Regards,

Or does anyone design PA cabs for 1V/1m use or believe HornResp predictions at Xmax and *higher*...:rolleyes:

(*higher* = [Xmax +Xlim] : 2 :D)

And just because you improved the flow through the horn does not mean, that the composite output is also improved; maybe quite to the contrary.

Regards,

wish the snow would go away, and I could make some sawdust / take some measurements...

Yes - 12
13 if you include the test one. As mentioned. Moded.
So 13 sheets to build 12. Test box is birch and the other 12 I used Auroco. Shall see just how much, if any, the wood quality/density plays into them.

I haven't had time to do any real test.
Just the quick 50 and 100 Hz test I posted about previously. Since it models close to the Apache and the quick test wasn't below expectations I ran with it.

It over the Apache was due to space and weight.
6 per side will get me where I want to go. Both in frequency and SPL.

The are assembled.
About to go over them and make sure they are ready for filler (bondo) Which I will do
tonight and tomorrow. Sand, primer, and then paint. So I still have a few more days of working (after work) until wee hours of the morning.

Still haven't remembered my camera as of yet.