Single sheet TH challenge - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #281
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #278

Hi Chaps,

I think the drawing that you are referring to is my attempt to make an ACAD drawing from jbells notes and pictures. There is also another unexpected change in cross-section right before S3. I would not change a thing from what jbell has developed here, his measured results are substantially better than what you would expect from the Hornresp model, and he really likes it, which is good enough for me. I also made a mm dimensioned drawing that is posted in Post #82.

If you want to be adventurous, how about building two as drawn, and two modified ones, and comparing them? You could also leave one side attached with screws and a seal strip and experiment with the dividers in question.

Regards,
Old 25th January 2011, 05:52 AM   #282
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
As i said, i do believe that it works perfectly in this way. I just thought about it, when i took a closer look at the sketch, but now i know it wasn't me who had overlooked something.

I don't think i'm the one to be adventurous though, as this is my first attemp into speaker building .. I am curious about how it would perform with the other layout, but my wood have allready been cut out, so i think i just stick to the original. I'm pretty confident that it will make me happy
Old 25th January 2011, 02:02 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

I've made my first pair and used them for a gig on Saturday. They were instead of 4 t48 subs. Not a straight comparison though because I was also using a different (smaller) amp to run them. Very impressed. Obviously not as much output as 4 t48 but since they Are only slightly bigger than half size it's pretty good! Will def be building lots more. And could fit 6 in the space
Old 26th January 2011, 06:34 AM   #284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Making them wider doesn't make them play lower. If you want lower, more cabinets accomplishes that. (to a point)

This means that for small gigs, bringing 2 or more is still advised even if you don't need the spl.

If you really want a lower design, and you don't care about fitting it out of a single sheet, I can mod it to make it play a little lower.. Keep in mind loud and low are the 2 players on the see-saw. As one goes up, the other goes down.

Here's the idea of what would be needed to make it actually go lower. (warning -- there is NO hornresp or other thought put into this, it's just a depiction of what would be needed to make the horn path longer, and therefore play lower)
Hi JBell

Could you please advise on details to make your ss15 TH play lower. I only require output up to 100hz or so. Or must I consider a completely different design. The 3015LF will still be used.

Thank you.

Crank
Old 26th January 2011, 02:02 PM   #285
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

dave:
A pair of ss15 taking the place of a quad of t48? Knowing there is 'no replacement for displacement' that's gutsy, and satisfying I guess.

Yea the ss15 is a cracker of a little cabinet, it's really a great size/great weight/great tone. I know I have enjoyed installing them. Please post pics of your gig if available, and as you add to your fleet, if you have 2/4/6/8 impressions or information that others may find helpful, please share.

crank -- I don't know what you mean by lower... please be specific. what music are you playing? If you have spectral charts showing EXACTLY what frequencies you need, and if you can share your setup amps/high pass and indoor vs outdoor that would be helpful.

As a general rule these will do everything except d&b and dub. You just need to run them in pairs or more to flatten out the response down to 40hz.
Old 26th January 2011, 02:25 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Hi

I'm looking for subs to use in a home setup. Living room of approx. 9 x 5 metres. By lower I mean from 20 - 100 hz range. The main speakers are Tannoy DC K3808 drivers in large ported cabinets - but these will be rolled off so the TH can handle low bass.

I may be better off with a simple ported sub, but I'm really taken by the design of tapped horns.

Crank
Old 26th January 2011, 02:47 PM   #287
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

3015lf wants a BIG box, even ported... not really the best option for HT... it's really a pa driver.

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

is really better suited to a HT setup... just build as many as you need.

If you have to use the 3015lf, I'd suggest possibly a passive radiator setup may be better than a huge ported.
Old 26th January 2011, 03:17 PM   #288
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

With the 3015LF you are looking at a build-in of app. 800L for HT, or 1600L (about 57ft^3) for two. Which would be quite impressive. :-)

Regards,
Old 26th January 2011, 04:15 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

Hi Crankshaft ,

For PA, with few exceptions, you're looking for 40 Hz and up. For Home Theater, you're looking for 20 Hz and up, which is a whole different
thing. The SS15 and Ander's THAM15 are more for PA, and the link below is more for HT.

Lab12 - Tapped Horn -

Careful ... this has the power to damage your house!

~Don
Old 26th January 2011, 04:47 PM   #290
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Hi

I'm looking for subs to use in a home setup. Living room of approx. 9 x 5 metres. By lower I mean from 20 - 100 hz range. The main speakers are Tannoy DC K3808 drivers in large ported cabinets - but these will be rolled off so the TH can handle low bass.

I may be better off with a simple ported sub, but I'm really taken by the design of tapped horns.

Crank
Hi Crank,

There are alternative use for a PA driver like the Eminence 3015LF, IMO more suitable for home: No need for signal-delaying the Main speakers or needing an additional EQ:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E.Kappalite-3015LF-T-QWT.JPG (242.3 KB, 597 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!