Single sheet TH challenge

Yes we are talking about PA here. It has been pointed out many times that the 3015LF likes a relatively big enclosure for proper LF response, so this is certainly not the right driver for domestic use. As jbell says, there are other more appropriate choices.

However, after reading about jbells 'clean bass' from his SS15s, I think this is the best bang for buck PA box out there; he also says he gets the feel of low bass from lifting 45Hz by a few db. My only worry is being stuck in a situation where the DJ plays music that requires sub-40Hz and my cabs can't provide them. But that again is only the rare occasion. Just trying to be prepared for all seasons.

jbell, in my previous post I included a fold of your SS15, edited by you to get more LF. Do you have a HR frequency response chart and other details. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience in such a marvellous, practical way.

Yes we are talking about PA here. It has been pointed out many times that the 3015LF likes a relatively big enclosure for proper LF response, so this is certainly not the right driver for domestic use. As jbell says, there are other more appropriate choices.

However, after reading about jbells 'clean bass' from his SS15s, I think this is the best bang for buck PA box out there; he also says he gets the feel of low bass from lifting 45Hz by a few db. My only worry is being stuck in a situation where the DJ plays music that requires sub-40Hz and my cabs can't provide them. But that again is only the rare occasion. Just trying to be prepared for all seasons.

jbell, in my previous post I included a fold of your SS15, edited by you to get more LF. Do you have a HR frequency response chart and other details. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience in such a marvellous, practical way.

samuel:
Unfortunately the answer to your questions can probably only be answered by building, especially since my 40-60hz measurements don't exactly line up with hornresp. Go find some cheap plywood and toss together a couple test cabinets you are willing to make into a bonfire when the testing is complete. (even with cheap ply, still use PL polyurethane glue -- it's worth it.)

(you already know) that 30hz pa, and 40hz pa are two completely different animals. A ss15 will cough up a cone before it'll do 30hz pa. I also am very sure, if you put ss15's in the hands of a dj who's first concern is to eliminate your high pass filter, just so he can have 15hz warbles off his vinyl... well the destruction of your 3015lf's will be fast and complete.

The ss15 may not be the exact right cabinet for you -- I don't know. What I am sure of, is that as a test cabinet, so that you can determine exactly how a TH behaves vs a ported 3015lf cabinet -- the ss15 is a good choice. Once you build a couple test cabinets, and put through some different material that you know you'll have to support, you can make an educated decision if they go low enough for you.

samuel:

I dug this picture out from the 'way back machine' it's my original cdx test cabinet, to prove to myself that this tapped horn thing really worked. Once I heard for myself, then I had faith to move forward.

I don't know what grades of ply you have to work with, but I can assure you cdx is bottom of the barrel here... And yes, I roasted hot dogs over it when done, that ply wasn't even good enough to salvage for shelving.

Attachments

• Picture2 108a.JPG
    Picture2 108a.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 644
Jbell, I have a question for you. Your measurements showed lower extension then expected. When you feed the SS15 all the way up to 50 Volts did you see or hear that the low extension became less, as if everything else rises except the freq below 50Hz?

Now that's an interesting test, that I've never done... I've only measured 28v, but run music up to 63... When the snow melts, I'll have to do that.

samuel, marine ply is expensive stuff -- great cabinet building ply. If you're going to build a test cabinet or two, find some cheap-o stuff. My test cdx cabinet had the mouth panel vibrating over 1/2" when I did my 28v tests.... and it was still 7db louder at 40hz vs the big bad boy 36" T36....

Now that's an interesting test, that I've never done... I've only measured 28v, but run music up to 63... When the snow melts, I'll have to do that.

If you are going to run this test you should do it in two ways. One sine wave test (non-complex signal) and run one test with pink noise (complex signal).

Also did ever see or maybe done yourself some Thiel-Small parameters tests of the 3015LF?

What brand ply do you suggest? Any 1/2" birch?

auroco from lowes is good. Not all lowes carry it. It's the best deal @ $24 a sheet.

china ply, blonde wood, etc.. from home depot is crap. (don't buy any 1/2" from home depot for speakers -- period)

Most ac or bc 3 or 4 ply is very questionable... you probably only want to use 5/8" if you go that route, not 1/2"

Most 'cabinet ply' from a hardwoods store is good stuff, 5 even plys or better.

Baltic birch (the real stuff) is always best, but most expensive.

Really all the wood from home depot is ****? I just checked online and it says my local store has domestic made mt baker 1/2" ply. A sheet is $42.

The closest lowes is about 20 miles from my house, and there's a $5 toll on the way. The home depot is local so it's easier to buy there and probably the same price after gas etc.

But if that wood sucks then I'll just go to lowes and get the one you suggested.

Really all the wood from home depot is ****? I just checked online and it says my local store has domestic made mt baker 1/2" ply. A sheet is $42.

The closest lowes is about 20 miles from my house, and there's a $5 toll on the way. The home depot is local so it's easier to buy there and probably the same price after gas etc.

But if that wood sucks then I'll just go to lowes and get the one you suggested.

I really like home depot, but not for the plywood. All of the china ply is extremely bad.

If you go to lowes, call before you drive. One lowes by me has auroco, the other one never heard of it....

Also buy PL premium expanding polyurethane construction adhesive (in a tube) it's the best.

The Lowes / Home Depot plywood is tricky. Plywood is a commodity and they shop around for deals.

What they get will vary by region and it with vary within the year. So be careful about recommendations on the internet. They will occassionally carry stuff at a good discount that is termed a special buy. Sometimes it is void free and sometimes it is not. Asking the guy who works in the store may or may not be very informative.

"Also buy PL premium expanding polyurethane construction adhesive (in a tube) it's the best. "

Destructive testing on joints shows that it is inferior to ordinary PVA.

ahh... but it's the expanding part that I love so much. There are many 'non 90 degree' joints in the ss15, and PL just fills everything in, and it's air tight.

I've done destructive joint tests on the PL, I always delam the ply.

The auroco is as close to absolute void free, even thickness ply I've found. (that I can afford)
It sure beats any ac ply I've used. Here's a link to the span rating if you want to know it's L/
http://www.araucoply.cl/informacion2.asp?Submenu=1524&cat=0&fin=0

Last edited:
Hi Y'all,

Has anyone tried the Home Depot Sande plywood?

SandePly 12mm and SandePly 18mm

Regards,

Oliver, you missed my post. This is a commodity and the vendor shops around.

Do NOT assume that the plywood at Home Depot or Lowes in your neighborhood is the same as in my neighborhood. Do NOT assume that the plywood you got at Lowes last year will be the same as what you get at Lowes this year. If the stuff is labelled as special purchase (in fine print next to the SKU number), then what you see next month is very sure to be different.

Oliver, you missed my post. This is a commodity and the vendor shops around.

Do NOT assume that the plywood at Home Depot or Lowes in your neighborhood is the same as in my neighborhood. Do NOT assume that the plywood you got at Lowes last year will be the same as what you get at Lowes this year. If the stuff is labelled as special purchase (in fine print next to the SKU number), then what you see next month is very sure to be different.
The only thing is the expensive stuff does not change that much it may sit on their shelfs for years waiting for a speaker builder. Andy