Single sheet TH challenge - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2010, 03:45 PM   #231
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a nice grill option for the ss15. 9 ga. flattened expanded mesh. Cut it to size, and bend the 'ears' down on each side. I put a thin strip of rubber between the grill and wood to keep any vibration issues from happening. It sure kills any cabinet flex issues at the mouth!!

It ends up costing under $10 a grill. I buy 4'x6' sections (half sheet) from the local steel company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 042a.JPG (102.1 KB, 991 views)
Old 24th November 2010, 01:16 PM   #232
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

looks nice 2
Old 24th November 2010, 06:45 PM   #233
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have a small question about placement .. I mostly do gigs, where the subs will be split (1 or 2 on each side). Will i be better off having the cabs laying on their sides og standing up? I have read that it is more directional standing up, but i have no idea how much that is. My concern is, that the bass will not be even on the floor with the boxes standing, if they er not in front of the stage, unless they er turned much into the front of the stage.
Therfore i lean towards having them laying on the side, when used 1 or 2 on each side.
How are your'e experience with this?

I could of cause just build an try both, but i need to know where to put my pole mount. Then again, i could just put a pole mount on both the top and the side, but figured i would ask here first
Old 24th November 2010, 06:59 PM   #234
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

if you use stereo then the pair are handling (only) slightly different (bass) signals.
If each stereo channel has two or more bass speakers then you get better efficiency and more extended bass by coupling the speakers with the drivers/vents as close to each other as possible.

If the floor loading is to suffer least from reflection delays then the drivers and/or vents should be close to the floor.

I suspect that the arrangement for a single bass speaker will end up being different from a multiple bass speaker.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:36 PM   #235
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
OK, I must say, I am continued to be impressed by these subs...

This past Saturday I did an event with over 300 People at a Hall/Convention Center that was 14,000 Square Feet and boy did these sound Good...

I finally finished my 2nd pair of speakers... I'm in love with these subs... Groom, being a sound guy himself, came to me and said that they sounded great!

Best thing was walking outside the venue and still hearing the bass pretty clean...

These will definitely take the place of my dual 18 cabs...

fr_376.jpg

fr_369.jpg

fr_372.jpg

fr_367.jpg

fr_373.jpg
Old 7th December 2010, 12:44 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Just curious. How does the bass compare to JBL 4520 or 4530 with the usual 2205/2225/K140?
Are these bins more "modern" sounding (aka deeper sounding for CD tracks)? Or are they just efficient?

TIA
Old 7th December 2010, 04:13 PM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
OK, I must say, I am continued to be impressed by these subs...

This past Saturday I did an event with over 300 People at a Hall/Convention Center that was 14,000 Square Feet and boy did these sound Good...

I finally finished my 2nd pair of speakers... I'm in love with these subs... Groom, being a sound guy himself, came to me and said that they sounded great!

Best thing was walking outside the venue and still hearing the bass pretty clean...

These will definitely take the place of my dual 18 cabs...
A couple questions:

How do you like the 3015lf's vs the JBL's?

white sheet? no time to paint?

You've had them standing up in all the pics I've seen, ever try laying them on their sides? A block of 4 on their sides with mouths together is very fun.....

The more I build these and listen to them, the more I'm convinced this is a design an enterprising person could build a business around... It's just a good 'all around' sub.
Old 7th December 2010, 04:22 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

I cant wait to try them outside!!
Old 7th December 2010, 04:26 PM   #239
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Jbell...

I built these Thursday... I started at around 1PM and finished around 8 PM with one break for dinner... that's cutting the wood, drawing out the design on the side panel, gluing down and clamping one down while I built the second one... Reason I started Thursday is because I put in an order for them over the weekend and they arrived Thursday...

Friday I had an event in the evening so I did not want to risk starting to paint them and not being able to finish... Plus I had some errands to run Friday before the weekend...

I did not have enough time to do a/b comparisons that day at that hall...

I thought about putting them on their sides, with the mouths facing each other... but again, there was no time to test... I had no roadie so I did all the install, cleaning up of wires and I installed the purple LED Lighting you saw on the pics... I did think about doing it though... Especially since i could have used that white sheet to cover only the bottom two a lot nicer than what it came out... but oh well...

Most of the time I won't need 4 subs... I may sell the JBL's to a friend and only 'borrow' them when I need them...

Yup I've even thought about selling these, I've posted pictures on my FB page and seems like some DJ's like the design...

BTW: I was pushing 4 of these with 2 qsc 2402's each amp bridged mono, so they were each getting anywhere from 1000 to 1200 watts... I would say I kept my main mixer to -2 db for most of the night... Amps never clipped... I played them hard from 6pm to 12 am...

What i was afraid of was that I never broke in the 3015lf's....

P.S. I didn't use Baltic Birch, I used Blond?? Wood from Lowes (7plys but not as dense as Baltic Birch)
Old 7th December 2010, 07:30 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
Jbell...

I built these Thursday... I started at around 1PM and finished around 8 PM with one break for dinner... that's cutting the wood, drawing out the design on the side panel, gluing down and clamping one down while I built the second one... Reason I started Thursday is because I put in an order for them over the weekend and they arrived Thursday...

Friday I had an event in the evening so I did not want to risk starting to paint them and not being able to finish... Plus I had some errands to run Friday before the weekend...

I did not have enough time to do a/b comparisons that day at that hall...

I thought about putting them on their sides, with the mouths facing each other... but again, there was no time to test... I had no roadie so I did all the install, cleaning up of wires and I installed the purple LED Lighting you saw on the pics... I did think about doing it though... Especially since i could have used that white sheet to cover only the bottom two a lot nicer than what it came out... but oh well...

Most of the time I won't need 4 subs... I may sell the JBL's to a friend and only 'borrow' them when I need them...

Yup I've even thought about selling these, I've posted pictures on my FB page and seems like some DJ's like the design...

BTW: I was pushing 4 of these with 2 qsc 2402's each amp bridged mono, so they were each getting anywhere from 1000 to 1200 watts... I would say I kept my main mixer to -2 db for most of the night... Amps never clipped... I played them hard from 6pm to 12 am...

What i was afraid of was that I never broke in the 3015lf's....

P.S. I didn't use Baltic Birch, I used Blond?? Wood from Lowes (7plys but not as dense as Baltic Birch)
You probably have no idea what part of your message made me smile.... It's the part where you built a pair in an afternoon. That is EXACTLY one of my primary design goals for this box. It had to be a good 'all around' box, lightweight, and an easy build. I had to have something I could easily accomplish for an 'asap install.' Cutting these out with a table saw is a no-brainer, and the assembly with PL and screws is fast and strong. It usually takes me more time to fill holes, prep and finish a cabinet, than it does to cut it out and assemble it.

Feel free to build whatever cabinets you like of this design. You may profit any amount you would like from the building of the cabinet. The only thing I ask is the design remains free. (I never want to see a design of mine on somebody else's site charging for the design.) The reason I post these designs is as payback to the community that has helped me out.

Thank you david, davy,syd,mike,scott,mark,oliver,don and others (many others) that have provided me education, feedback, and encouragement.
thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!