Single sheet TH challenge - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2010, 05:54 PM   #211
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
Thanks, that info helps out...

I am ordering the 2 speakers and mounting Hardware as we speak...

Do you know of a 'local' place that sells Duratex?
speakerhardware.com or acrytech is the only 2 places I know of.

speakerhardware is run by a good guy with good prices.

I use behr ultra premium and a harbor freight texture gun on a lot of my cabinets.
Old 10th November 2010, 06:32 PM   #212
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Hmmm.. I will consider that since I would love to try them out by this weekend... I have 2 weddings that I can try them out at...
Old 11th November 2010, 04:04 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
I went out and bought the Texture Spray Gun, $20 bux and a galon of Behr Ultra Premium Paint... Are there any special instructions or do I just pour the paint int o the gun and start spraying?
Old 11th November 2010, 04:32 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
I went out and bought the Texture Spray Gun, $20 bux and a galon of Behr Ultra Premium Paint... Are there any special instructions or do I just pour the paint int o the gun and start spraying?
Here's what I do:

You can adjust the knob at the back to determine how much paint / how big the blobs of paint are. The knob and the pressure allow you to adjust what kind of finish you are going to put down.

Personally I don't adjust the knob, I adjust the paint texture with how far down I pull handle.

I start with a fine orange peel texture to cover. I use about 60psi and light pressure on the handle, don't make it move, just pressure. Once the entire cabinet is covered, you'll want to add some light texture. I usually accomplish this with light quick pull and release swipes. Once done, and there is a reasonable amount of paint coverage (wood grain should be starting to disappear) with some texture, then it's time to do the rough texture. Stand back at least 3 feet (I usually stand about 4-5) and do a full pull and immediate release -- this will put down large texture blobs of paint. move and repeat until you have blobs all over the cabinet. You obviously don't want runs, and when you first see it, the blobs will look a little weird to you. Once it dries it has that nice pa texture look. Abrasions hit the top of the texture, and not the bottom of the texture -- so a scratch doesn't show.

Here's a close up of behr applied in this manner.

Practice on a scrap piece of board FIRST.... I also use PL wood filler. any holes or joint lines show up big time if not prepped well. I always do this outside, or at the least with a big tarp down, this is not a neat process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texture.JPG (36.7 KB, 1048 views)

Last edited by jbell; 11th November 2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 13th November 2010, 12:31 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

149059_10150129963749498_571729497_7594641_6110395_n.jpg

73575_10150129963449498_571729497_7594640_665355_n.jpg

148830_10150129963119498_571729497_7594638_7338414_n.jpg

1st Time these subs are going to see some live action, tonight I will only need one, a wedding of 120 people, and it even may be overkill for this event...

You weren't kidding when you said 4 are overkill for a 200 ppl event...
Old 13th November 2010, 04:20 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

very classy in white.... Figured you were thinking of matching your EV tops.

BTW, is that a 10v running osx I see?
The microsoft and intel stickers still on are a nice touch.....
Old 15th November 2010, 05:05 AM   #217
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

fhperez:
I would love to hear how you think your new boxes performed this weekend?

I'm just about ready to start building myself. Just need to go shopping for materials
Old 15th November 2010, 07:46 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
fhperez:
I would love to hear how you think your new boxes performed this weekend?

I'm just about ready to start building myself. Just need to go shopping for materials
All I can say is... WOW!

One is good, two, placed together in the center of the room are WOW!

Friday's event was 120 people, and that is the one pictured above, good low bass, decent punch...

Saturday, I had an event with 300 people at a hall that is approximately 9,000-11,000 Square feet... I had my amp at full blast (Yamaha P7000s) The level on the amp was far from clipping, it got to the light right before clipping but never into the red... The Vol on my mixer was the same, at about 0 to -2db... Every once it a while it would clip changing from one song to the next, but I would adjust it...

As you can see from the picture, I had 4 EV ZX5's with two QSC 2402, Bridged Mono... Full Blast... These EV's are LOUD!!! and the 2 subs kept up real well... The bass was amazing! Very clean and low...

A fellow DJ friend of mine was on the room across the hall from us and he said it sounded good over there too...

148446_10150132353839498_571729497_7625560_7944882_n.jpg

I think the biggest thing that comes to mind is actually understanding what Jbell talks about, the difference between clean bass and distorted bass...

I loved them, I think I will be building two more, selling my Yamaha dual 18's...

Another observation, these need rubber feet on the bottom, I kept having to go over to them and re-adjusting them, the bass was vibrating too much that the cabinets actually walked away from each other and from the dance floor... towards the end of the night I actually clamped them together so if they did move, they would at least move together... Another observation, these are LIGHT!!

I loved them!!!

BTW: JBell Yes that is a 10v with Snow Leopard... I love the DIY, if you know of the perfect (full sized pc) that I can run Snow Leopard and has a good resolution (WUXGA) and a great video card, I'm all ears... I'm looking to upgrade my DJing PC (Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHZ .... OLD) with something like a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo or core 2 quad (i series of intels are problematic with Rane Serato).

Last edited by fhperez; 15th November 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:07 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

fhperez:

Thanks for the update.

Yes these are light. I do installs, and handling a sub 30' in the air makes a person think twice about every pound of weight. I never want to install a heavy weight sub again. I had to go see the chi-o and have my back cracked after my last 150lb sub installation. 42lbs for a sheet of auroco, 7lbs for a 3015lf plus paint and hardware. Basically a 50lb sub. The entire point of this thread for 'single sheet' was primarily due to weight and simple design. I needed a lightweight design I could kick out in part of a day.

Yes, they can walk. The 'bottom' as you have them pictured only has a single brace, which is where the walking is coming from. More bracing would eliminate some cabinet flex and some walking, but then I designed this as an install sub. More bracing = less spl and more weight in my experience, and I am more than willing to allow a 'little' cabinet flex. I would personally bring a small carpet with rubber backing instead of rubber feet. Feet tend to get torn off of a cabinet.

2 tops per sub??? That is blasphemy to many people. There are those who advocate at minimum 2 subs per top. 2 of the SS15's keeping up with 4 EV's at war volume is a pretty good testament to this design. I will repeat scott's comment about TH's. "They bloom at war volume, reflex boxes wilt."

How did the texture gun work out? Couldn't tell much about the finish from your posted pics.

On the osx on 'other' hardware sites, they have listed which motherboards are fully compatible and which aren't. If you want a full size box, start with the motherboard and put it in whatever case you want. The 10v is really a nice little osx machine.... that's why I recognized it

Thanks again for the update -- I really like this design. It's only real downfall is it's a little short in the 40hz department in single cabinets. To hear your dj friend say it was 'loud and low' from across the hall when running pairs made me smile.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:55 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

I love the weight... You can't tell but these do not have their handles yet... Even then they were easy to handle...

I'm good with the cabinet flex, I will try the carpet or something similar..

Here's an observation that seems to make sense, somewhat..... Room empty, ev's sounded way louder and more powerful than the 2 subs alone... I did feel I needed 2 more subs, which is exactly what I told my friend Jaime, I told him I felt I really needed 2 more subs, for that hall... He said they sounded great over there... I was surprised to hear that... but like you say, that put a smile on my face...

When the dance floor was full (about 100-150 people) I walked to the other side of the dance floor to hear how everything sounded...

I feel the EV's Lost a little umph but, surprisingly I felt the subs gained some... I could feel the bass through all those people dancing... It may have been the song, it may have been me... but I was surprised...

I mean, these are 4 EV's running at approximately 1,200 watts a piece with 2" compression drivers on them!!!

Also if it helps, I was DJ full volume from about 9 PM until 1 AM... with the usual wedding breaks, bouquet toss, garter toss, dollar dance (80% volume)... etc...

The gun worked great... Believe it or not, when it was still somewhat wet, it started drizzling.... so the paint got wet, I'm giving it some time then I'm going to refinish them... But painting was pretty simple and straight foreword...

Hide this!Advertise here!