Single sheet TH challenge - Page 192 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 05:33 AM   #1911
diyAudio Member

Still yet to make sawdust, but constantly thinking about the build in anticipation of getting started in 2 week's time...

Speculation, what would be gained/lost by going wider?

Approximately 630mm / 25" external - 605mm / 24" internal

Why? If i'm building two or more at a time, then starting with ripping a sheet in half lengthways and cutting to size from there would make more sense. It'd still work out to be 1 sheet per cab, but a bigger box and more usable offcuts with every strip the same width.

Has anyone considered this, and does the idea make sense?
Old 8th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #1912
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The ingenious bit of the SS15 layout is the fact that by making the cab narrower the there is enough material to make the path longer.
Jbells initial cutlist is in Post 39 Single sheet TH challenge
There is not a lot of spare timber in a SS15. If you rip all the timber to half width to increase the width of the cab, how you are going to get it all out of one sheet?
The 24" dimension is used for the front to back dim of the cabinet this maximises the cutting yield for the sides and top bottom panels.

Last edited by Xoc1; 8th January 2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 9th January 2013, 06:27 AM   #1913
diyAudio Member

I think I misled myself whilst struggling with Cutlist's clunky interface... forgot to include a couple of panels... oops!

Regardless the intention won't be to get a single sub out of a single sheet but builD multiple boxes at once. I realise that strays from the SS challenge but I'm still sold on the design for its performance potential (especially specific to my application) than the fact it's frugal on wood.

So yeah, 24" strips for the build, with a bit of additional bracing and other bits and pieces to come from an extra sheet which (if it's all at 24" wide) can be used for more boxes. Oh and it reduces chance of disaster if a few cuts are bodged!
Keeping it all 24" wide will make things much easier for a n00b builder, so the question still stands - how will the extra width affect performance?
Old 9th January 2013, 02:59 PM   #1914
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitSmasher View Post
I think I misled myself whilst struggling with Cutlist's clunky interface... forgot to include a couple of panels... oops!

Regardless the intention won't be to get a single sub out of a single sheet but builD multiple boxes at once. I realise that strays from the SS challenge but I'm still sold on the design for its performance potential (especially specific to my application) than the fact it's frugal on wood.

So yeah, 24" strips for the build, with a bit of additional bracing and other bits and pieces to come from an extra sheet which (if it's all at 24" wide) can be used for more boxes. Oh and it reduces chance of disaster if a few cuts are bodged!
Keeping it all 24" wide will make things much easier for a n00b builder, so the question still stands - how will the extra width affect performance?
The original dimensions are 22" x 24" x 30".

Going to 25" wide won't make any appreciable sonic difference, it will just waste wood.

If you want a better sounding cabinet, easier to build, use 3/4" since you don't seem to mind wasting wood .

Art
Old 25th January 2013, 03:15 PM   #1915
maxo is offline maxo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
A dozen 3015LF are $104 each from martinsoundpro.com, the 4015 about $139, the Peavey is more$ from what I can see.
so they raised the prices now uh ?
they are 239 as of now
Old 25th January 2013, 07:36 PM   #1916
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The 4015 has gone up $5, POA on the 3015LF (volatile pricing from NEO) .

The prices I quote are for those "in the trade (dealers)".

The 11 oz NEO slug went from about $3 five years ago to over $60, it has declined a bit from the peak. Too rich for my blood.
Old 6th February 2013, 01:28 PM   #1917
diyAudio Member

sawdust!
after a few (maybe 8-10) hours in the workshop, I am pretty close to assembling a pair of SS15 with EPA's mod to suit my Delta 12LFA drivers...

Here's one cut up, sitting on the trolley which it'll eventually be strapped to for portable battery-powered sound:
Click the image to open in full size.

MDF is a hassle to work with, but since this is just an experiment I'll be happy to rebuild with ply if/when necessary.
Just need to cut the driver hole, and hopefully it'll go together easily!
More pics and details to come later, it's 1:30am and I have to get this together for a street party in 2 day's time.
Old 18th February 2013, 03:37 AM   #1918
diyAudio Member

Didn't get it built for Reclaim The Lanes, but probably better than I can spend some time to get it right... this is what I've ended up with so far:

Click the image to open in full size.

Rushed build, slightly bodgy but it's a trial so far... have played with them a bit (much to my housemate's annoyance) and they make some noise!
When the mouth braces are fitted I'll take them outside to measure and evaluate... for now, the novelty of being loud and shaking the place is good enough for me.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:42 AM   #1919
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

cheers
Old 18th February 2013, 04:49 AM   #1920
diyAudio Member

Thanks again epa! Definitely owe you a few beers.
This was put together a bit bodgy, with some very visible errors in measuring/marking, but I'm still hoping it'll perform just as well as the sims suggest...

Hide this!Advertise here!