Single sheet TH challenge - Page 191 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 04:35 AM   #1901
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

After my last post I realized that I need to get these measured up now so I know what I have to start planning with.....if they are even worth it.

These will be either a third sub with 2 drivers or my 3rd and 4th subs in the room. I just want to use them for smoothing and I always wanted to try Tapped Horns.

To answer your question though, my current subs in the front of the room have an f3 or 29hz.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:50 AM   #1902
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
I don't fully understand what is going on (big lol on the fully notion). Is the 5mH coil to do some kind of zoeble thing smoothing the impedance of the driver curve?

I'd be curious to know the DC resistance of the coil and the voltage across the coil and driver in a sweep.
I could offer an explanation on what I think is going on, but it would mostly be incomplete, so I'd let someone else take a stab at it. As far as I know, the series coil works exactly as it does in any crossover.

I just thought it would be interesting to see, since we've seen the question asked "does it really do what it does in the simulations", to which I can probably say "No, not really."
Old 10th December 2012, 09:02 PM   #1903
diyAudio Member

A series coil in a normal crossover rolls off the high end, its a first order, 6 db/oct low pass, but the speaker is not a resistor or a constant impedance, and I suspect its the relation with the changing impedance that is the effect of interest.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:51 PM   #1904
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
I could offer an explanation on what I think is going on, but it would mostly be incomplete, so I'd let someone else take a stab at it. As far as I know, the series coil works exactly as it does in any crossover.

I just thought it would be interesting to see, since we've seen the question asked "does it really do what it does in the simulations", to which I can probably say "No, not really."

Dr Dyna ,
Yeah the series coil didnt seem to have much smoothing effect for you at all ... It did however seem to smooth the phase at the very extreme bottom end, not sure if that means much, or if it is at all useful ..... I wonder if an outdoors measurement would also show the same insignificant amount of effect in the desired range?
Do you suppose the sharp dips centered around 30hz , 60 and 75hz are caused by room modes or are they just actual features of the horn's response? They are deeper dips than what show in the sim...
Its possible that the lack of cone compensation could contribute to those deepened dips at 60 and 75hz, or perhaps even ceiling height or a nearby wall causing a cancellation .... The deepened "saddle" at 30hz seems to defy the typical trend of a smoothed out or flattened saddle with sim vs measurement results ...

Last edited by Matthew Morgan J; 12th December 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:41 AM   #1905
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Morgan J View Post
Dr Dyna ,
Yeah the series coil didnt seem to have much smoothing effect for you at all ... It did however seem to smooth the phase at the very extreme bottom end, not sure if that means much, or if it is at all useful ..... I wonder if an outdoors measurement would also show the same insignificant amount of effect in the desired range?
Do you suppose the sharp dips centered around 30hz , 60 and 75hz are caused by room modes or are they just actual features of the horn's response? They are deeper dips than what show in the sim...
Its possible that the lack of cone compensation could contribute to those deepened dips at 60 and 75hz, or perhaps even ceiling height or a nearby wall causing a cancellation .... The deepened "saddle" at 30hz seems to defy the typical trend of a smoothed out or flattened saddle with sim vs measurement results ...
I'm reasonably sure they are at least partially room modes. If I scoot them around the dips move a little bit, because the cabinet is large and changing the orientation when they're in the corner makes the distance between the mouth and the nearest surfaces in each direction change by ~2 feet. One of these days I'll build a better room that occupies more space in the basement

I've been wanting to do an outdoor measurement, but I need to get up the ambition to do it..they are quite heavy.

With the MiniDSP though, it's quite a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest frequency response.jpg (58.3 KB, 556 views)
Old 29th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #1906
YogiNC is offline YogiNC  United States
diyAudio Member

OMG! almost ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY PAGES! I've NEVER seen a message string come close to that anywhere anytime BUT this was a good one. I'm gonna go for the v2 with the 3015LF. Just hate that the price of neo has bumped that up so much. Anyway, I am curious about the HS12 tops but it has been a much more difficult message string to find. If someone would kindly point me in the right direction I'd be so ever thankful. I have a pair of Jack 12s from Bill Fitzmaurice that I built but I'd love to see what the design on those are. To everyone who contributed NICE WORK. To Jim, way to go man, what a great topic!
Old 30th December 2012, 04:50 AM   #1907
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiNC View Post
OMG! almost ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY PAGES! I've NEVER seen a message string come close to that anywhere anytime
Hi YogiNC,

You obviously haven't seen this one then :-).

Beyond the Ariel

Kind regards,

David
Old 30th December 2012, 08:10 AM   #1908
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Let us not forget:

Hornresp

Collaborative Tapped horn project
Old 30th December 2012, 10:32 AM   #1909
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
Hi djk,

I hadn't - but they are nowhere near the 836 pages of Lynn's massive thread :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 30th December 2012, 11:45 AM   #1910
YogiNC is offline YogiNC  United States
diyAudio Member

Both of those are monsters. LOL. It took me almost 4 hours to work my way through SS15, I think I'll pass on the others.

Hide this!Advertise here!