Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 02:20 AM   #1801
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member
 
NEO Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
NICE build Mr. Bob, if he is reading.
__________________
Regards,
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #1802
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: .
agree, nice work bob. I also like the 55-2421 build.

Tapped Horn build

I see a spl meter in one pic, maybe some measurements to share?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #1803
bko69 is offline bko69  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
agree, nice work bob. I also like the 55-2421 build.

Tapped Horn build

I see a spl meter in one pic, maybe some measurements to share?

yes those are both my builds.

the thread for the 55-2421 with measurements can be found here.

the build of my 8 x SS15 can be found here.

i still have not found time to take measurements of my SS15s.

bob

Last edited by bko69; 14th November 2012 at 10:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 08:22 PM   #1804
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montana Missoula
Default Another alternate driver?

Wondering if this would work in the SS15? It is $100 less than the the definimax and looks better than the Kappa pro on paper.

The Fs is 64hz and vas is higher btw.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 11:15 PM   #1805
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member
 
djk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
That driver looks lame, and I can buy the DEFINIMAX™ 4015LF for that price.

The Kappa Pro 15LF-2 is a better driver and less money as well.
__________________
Candidates for the Darwin Award should not read this author.

Last edited by djk; 18th November 2012 at 11:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 04:26 AM   #1806
diyAudio Member
 
Matthew Morgan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Here is another driver that might be worth looking into ...AP-1526-8
Has the right specs , 40hz fs , QTS and VAS in the right range ..... Looks like it should work well in an Jim's SS15 and the cost puts it well under the Single Sheet Challenge limit ...
I have seen the Klippel report for this driver and it shows potential ... Around 9mm xmax at 70% BL if i am reading it correctly .... Its also my understanding that the 350w rms rating is very conservative ...
Mark at Audiopile provided some values in surprisingly good drivers in the past from what i understand ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:07 PM   #1807
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montana Missoula
Talking Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Morgan J View Post
Here is another driver that might be worth looking into ...AP-1526-8
Has the right specs , 40hz fs , QTS and VAS in the right range ..... Looks like it should work well in an Jim's SS15 and the cost puts it well under the Single Sheet Challenge limit ...
I have seen the Klippel report for this driver and it shows potential ... Around 9mm xmax at 70% BL if i am reading it correctly .... Its also my understanding that the 350w rms rating is very conservative ...
Mark at Audiopile provided some values in surprisingly good drivers in the past from what i understand ...
I went to check it out and had a snake in my cart! I had forgot about that driver and need to get those m/fing snakes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:19 PM   #1808
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Ollanda
Hi All,

The AP-1526-8 looks like the PAS-1507 from the Chinese Wave Audio. Also it is described on the Audiopile website as quote: "Good mid range loudspeaker for PA or instrument applications." which doesn't suggest it has a high Xmax.
It's relative low VAS, low power and relative high sensitivity figures are all signs of a relative high BL combined with a low moving mass, which are not good specs for the SS15.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:47 PM   #1809
diyAudio Member
 
Matthew Morgan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. doom View Post
I went to check it out and had a snake in my cart! I had forgot about that driver and need to get those m/fing snakes.
Mr Doom, when you saw the snake did you jump back and say "EEEEEK!" ? hehehe

Let me know how good that snake is when you get it, the pricing on some of their cabling seems reasonable ... Their cables look like they might be well built and heavier when compared to some of the similarly priced lower end stuff from PE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:49 PM   #1810
diyAudio Member
 
Matthew Morgan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Hi All,

The AP-1526-8 looks like the PAS-1507 from the Chinese Wave Audio. Also it is described on the Audiopile website as quote: "Good mid range loudspeaker for PA or instrument applications." which doesn't suggest it has a high Xmax.
It's relative low VAS, low power and relative high sensitivity figures are all signs of a relative high BL combined with a low moving mass, which are not good specs for the SS15.
Hey there Djim ,
I'm not sure if this is the best method but i used hornresponse to calculate the moving mass of the Audiopile driver, and the moving mass looks like it might be very close to that of the Definimax 4015, which makes it significantly heavier than the 3015LF's moving mass .... BL factor is probably around 21 ..
Perhaps not ideal, but apparently workable if the other specs are close enough (based upon the popularity of the 4015LF and 3015LF in these designs) ..
However, i do realize that even though the cone is just as heavy as the Definimax's cone that it doesn't necessarily mean that it is just as strong, and failures such as tearing or cone folding may occur if used in a cabinet that has some compression (S2 area less than driver's SD) ... Its probably just one of those situations where someone will have to give it a shot to see if the cone holds up to some abuse ...
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here is a Challenge latala Solid State 41 12th May 2011 01:13 AM
Renovation Challenge ZirconiumZephyr Multi-Way 16 1st September 2009 08:38 AM
Design Challenge #1 kgillies Subwoofers 12 13th June 2007 03:20 PM
a challenge --or I need help lawrence99 Car Audio 0 9th March 2005 04:44 AM
The challenge ! thylantyr Solid State 51 24th July 2003 08:41 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2