Single sheet TH challenge - Page 161 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 03:07 PM   #1601
diyAudio Member

ok, so after revisiting the system tonight. i established my settings on the amp were for a microphone ( i had it setup for public speaking a few months back. )

so i fixed those, and omg. in love all over again. the depth has returned, they no longer drive full range sound. and they rumble like no other!

im attempting to sell my first cab, what i call the SS12. not sure on selling rules, so i wont post it here. if i can sell it off, im hoping to build two more SS15 cabs with the money i get
Old 6th August 2012, 02:31 PM   #1602
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
got any more info on those top cabs? ^^
Hi klampy,

The top cabs are inspired by a jbell design which is hidden somewhere in this huge thread. It's a 50l bass reflex / front loaded horn design for the Eminence Beta 12A-2, with the Eminence PSD-2002 Tweeter in a Dayton 12" waveguide.

Unfortunately, I ended up leaving the subwoofer at home for the weekend, so just the tops got field tested. But I do have one extra pic of the sub to show, revealing the design with the cone volume correction and somewhat added path length.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:49 PM   #1603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
Originally Posted by jbell
Ok, so my friend DJIM gently got me to act on this.... I haven't touched the ss15 design in months -- it just works so well.

The only downside for me, is that it is not a 'flat to 40' box. And I'm big on flat to 40.

So, a bit of 'S2 cone correction' instead of a compression plate.
1" taller and 1" narrower...
and the SS15 can now hit with authority an honest to goodness 40hz.

This is still on paper and hornresp only, and it'll be a week or so before I can build/test... But I do have assembled 'original' SS15 cabinets, and I can do an A-->B comparison.

It "should" eliminate the one glaring weakness I see in the ss15. And it still does it from a single sheet, but this time you really do have nothing but sawdust left over... You even have to use the driver disk cut out from the baffle board as bracing.

Any more on this?
Have you found any more info on this?
Old 11th August 2012, 02:24 PM   #1604
diyAudio Member

thanks for that JWMbro.

so i sold my "SS12" and now the cash is burning a hole in the pocket, ill be visiting bunnings and making some sawdust this coming thurs or friday (or both?) and knocking up two more SS15 cabs. on the way to saving up for two more JB1500N's

anyone able to tell me if four SS15s will comfortably fill a hall the size of two basketball courts with enough sound to satisfy 1000people?
Old 13th August 2012, 02:35 AM   #1605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
got my JB1500N's today
Im just a Little concerned with xmax only being 6mm and then saying they can be run up to 1200watt, not that I have crunched the numbers or anything.
Old 13th August 2012, 02:43 AM   #1606
diyAudio Member

im not sure if youre saying this is a bad thing or not, but so far, im yet to really push them, but they seem to be doing exactly what i want them to... they flex nicely when unfiltered. and, i will be running them with a 50hz filter on the eq, and on the amp is a 30hz subsonic filter, which i will have active.
Old 13th August 2012, 03:51 AM   #1607
diyAudio Member

As far as I know the tapped horn design requires large xmax numbers to reach its power handling potential or they will just break apart trying to get there. The Ande and Eminence drivers have a fair bit higher xmax than your JB. I dont claim that I know everything about xmax and how it matters and what numbers are bad/good, there are much more knowledgeable people here for that.

I will be building some SS15 soon with ande drivers and was looking at your drivers since they are cheaper however the smaller xmax figure has put me off, given what little I know about it.
Old 13th August 2012, 04:16 AM   #1608
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

11mm x-max=Click the image to open in full size.
If the Ande were to have an actual 11mm one way x-max the coil would be so long that it would easily bottom, more likely the coil is 22mm tall, and take from that the gap height, commonly ~6-8mm on cheap woofers leaving you basically the same actual x-max as the JB1500N.

Last edited by NEO Dan; 13th August 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 13th August 2012, 04:24 AM   #1609
diyAudio Member

I stand corrected then. So nothing wrong with the JB1500N then? seams like it could be a more worthy driver then
Old 13th August 2012, 04:24 AM   #1610
diyAudio Member

a friend of mine who sells Ande drivers, looked at mine and said it looks like a rebadged Ande anyway...

Hide this!Advertise here!