Single sheet TH challenge - Page 158 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 04:31 PM   #1571
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
can someone please confirm what my brain does not believe my eyes are seeing.
Hi Klampykixx,

I am not qualified to confirming anything about the state of your brain but it looks like you made a small error in your input parameter page. Anyway, it looks like a good pick for the SS15 on paper...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:55 PM   #1572
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pyros View Post
So what ever happened to this box?
it's still a work in progress... and might have morphed into an ss18....

more later.
Old 16th July 2012, 02:26 AM   #1573
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Hi Klampykixx,

I am not qualified to confirming anything about the state of your brain but it looks like you made a small error in your input parameter page. Anyway, it looks like a good pick for the SS15 on paper...
]

ok, so when you say my input parameters, i cant remember now if i got my specs from my actual cabs, or someone elses file. but, if your talking about the output db, i have my input voltage set to 50v coz thats what i estimate my amp to put out. but even still, i used the same cab spec and just changed the driver spec, so is still a good back to back simulation.

im pretty happy, to say the least, that the JB1500N should sound decent according to the sim, as most other drivers i've simulated in hornresp have horrible dips n spikes that the kappa just doesnt have.

and to add tho that, the (crap) Fusion EN-SW12HD car subwoofer i have loaded into one of my cabs simulates HORRIBLY but yet, to me, sounds somewhat acceptable. so in that, i cant wait to get some semi decent drivers into the cabs!

now, i have a question regarding my previous drivers. Ultimately, they were cheap china rubbish out of a DJtech active subwoofer cab. so probably rated at barely 200w. they were sucking down close to 800w (based on the output meter on the amp) but seemed to be handling it ok. didnt sound distorted or like they were stuggling, just sounded good but, after about an hour of this, they gave up in a BIG cloud of smoke.

so basically, wondering if it was my lack of <40hz filtering, or just too much power for the cheap subs. or is that too hard to determine from a bunch of text?
Old 16th July 2012, 07:16 AM   #1574
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
...so basically, wondering if it was my lack of <40hz filtering, or just too much power for the cheap subs. or is that too hard to determine from a bunch of text?
Lack of HP filter will likely show as mechanical damage, (split surrounds, torn cones), and too much power as thermal damage.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th July 2012, 08:09 AM   #1575
diyAudio Member

ok. so basically then what i found via the autopsy was severe burns. no broken bones or tears.

thing is, when they were pumping, there was barely any cone movement at all. where, in the ported boxes they came from they flopped all over the place on just 150w...
eh.. either way. ill be getting myself a pair of the JBLs when my tax clears.. should be fun
Old 16th July 2012, 06:05 PM   #1576
diyAudio Member

Hi klampykixx,

Your sim of post#1568 is not a sim of a standard SS15. That is why I showed the sim of a SS15 loaded with a JB-1500N in post#1571.

Tapped horns have excursions dips in the frequency range that you can describe as points where there cone excursion is minimum. At these points the driver is suffering from thermal power compression. It means that the input power is not transferred into movement but into heat. These excursion dips can be found in the “Diaphragm Displacement” page in the window menu of HornResp. If you compare the excursion with the impedance you can see at the excursion minimums there are also impedance minimums (see red arrows in the picture). That means the most power runs trough the Voice coil at frequencies of the excursion minimums.

Last edited by Djim; 16th July 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 02:14 AM   #1577
diyAudio Member

thats actually really good info, and didnt know how to read that. and makes 100% sense regarding heat build up. especially when the drivers sound like they can keep taking more and more power due to lack of distortion.

now, it was said that i dont have the correct ss15 specs in hornresp. ill post up later what i have as my setting to reflect against what you guys have, it was a while ago now, but im pretty sure i based my HR specs off my own cabs rather than "standard" numbers. i know my cabs shouldnt be far off what Jbells were, so yea, ill post up my input params page later. as on further inspection my response graph it is definately lower range than others.
Old 17th July 2012, 07:33 AM   #1578
diyAudio Member

this is what i have, so as far as im aware, theyre slightly different to the SS15 in the way that my sheets of ply are metric. meaning that theyre not quite 8*4 so some small adjustments had to be made to the panels to get them all out of one sheet.

Last edited by klampykixx; 17th July 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:29 PM   #1579
diyAudio Member

Hi Klampykixx,

Your HornResp of post#1578 looks like a different design with an (internal) system volume of 595 Litre. That’s probably more than twice the volume of your actual build cab. You can check this yourself in the "schematic Diagram" page in the Window menu of HornResp.

I can't judge the adjustments you made since I don't know the changes exactly. Based on the picture it seems you used 18mm plywood and (9mm?) braces. That's a nice improvement . It also means it's slightly smaller in volume than an original SS15, when made from one sheet. Normally small adjustments like that have no significant influence on the functioning/performance. Therefore I see no problem in using the original SS15 Hornresp inputs to model any driver.

BTW in your country the Ande LB1560 driver is available for about AU $199. It sims very well in the SS15, has a strong motor, 100mm VC diameter and a very healthy Xvar of 11mm. It should outperform all drivers you mentioned before and seems to be similar in performance to a RCF L15P200AK.

Link 1 for the Ande LB1560

Link 2 for the Ande LB1560

Old 18th July 2012, 08:00 AM   #1580
diyAudio Member

ive just had a play with hornresp, using the JB1500N, Kappa and the Ande,

based on Djim post 1579 hornresp horn specs, the Ande has the fullest curve from 50-100 with the highest peak at 100. the JB is next, only slightly less than the Ande, and then the Kappa actually dips pretty bad in comparison at 60-80.

now, this thing with this is that in reality, we're talking maybe 1-2 db at this frequency. so it probably wouldnt be massively noticeable, unless they were next to each other in a setup.

so based purely on two things, #1: brand (i just have an automatic attraction to the JBL product for some reason) and #2 price $169 is more attractive than $214. i know its not much, but between three of them, the difference starts growing. ($120 can nearly buy me a 4th JBL)

also, knowing i had cheap crap in there before, ill be sure to post up some feedback to the forums on my opinion of the JBL speakers.

and, one more thing. ill have to go back and check my math, but im sure i used the actual dimensions on my cabs to get the hornresp specs on my sims. so, again. ill post back with comment on what i did. but its definatley way different to the sim Djim posted. I must admit though, in reality, they sound more like my response graph than what Djims sim would suggest.

Hide this!Advertise here!