Single sheet TH challenge - Page 157 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2012, 09:34 AM   #1561
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
Servas Nachbar!

Thanks a lot for your help, very fast response, wasn't sure if you'd still be lurking here, with your SS15s built so long ago.

Wow, 6 Dubhorns sounds quite impressive.... Where will one be able to hear that system? I make it out to Salzburg occasionally, have some friends living there.

Got my wood today, 127€ for 2 sheets, enough for 2 tops and 1 sub sans bracing - gonna see what I can do in way of scraps I have at home for bracing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Now all I need to do is wait for my drivers to arrive! And maybe find a Crown XTI amp for less than 649€......

EDIT: 12mm ply feels reaaaalllyy thin - I'm going to have to trust you on this one, jim!
Looks like good precision cuts there, in the US this is an impossible feat. The store equipment and operators are generally lackluster at best. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:59 AM   #1562
diyAudio Member

Default Precision Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Looks like good precision cuts there, in the US this is an impossible feat. The store equipment and operators are generally lackluster at best. Click the image to open in full size.
I have made the same experiences in Austria. Precision is better than one mm! However, there is a price to pay for this service.

Regards, Ben

P.S. and yes, working with such thin wood takes some getting used to, but you'll love the (rvery low) weight of it.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:23 AM   #1563
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Repeat after me.

B R A C I N G!

You get much farther with 12mm panels that are well braced than with 18mm panels that are not braced.

If bracing gets lost in translating think about putting a block of wood a points where there is potential for panels to bend. Spreading a load over two or more flat panels by means of tying them together will create a very stiff cabinet.

And nice pics on the correct type of adhesive.
Old 25th June 2012, 07:54 PM   #1564
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzburgsoundsystem View Post
I have made the same experiences in Austria. Precision is better than one mm! However, there is a price to pay for this service.

Regards, Ben

P.S. and yes, working with such thin wood takes some getting used to, but you'll love the (rvery low) weight of it.
There is definitely a price to pay, but I think I have found one of the best deals for it in the area. Wood is generally pricey around here, and I managed to get 2 sheets for 127€, precision cut to less than 1mm accuracy. I'm sure it's more than north americans pay, but I have neither the facility for accurate straight cuts, nor the ability to transport full sheets of wood (small car!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Ok, so my friend DJIM gently got me to act on this.... I haven't touched the ss15 design in months -- it just works so well.

The only downside for me, is that it is not a 'flat to 40' box. And I'm big on flat to 40.

So, a bit of 'S2 cone correction' instead of a compression plate.
1" taller and 1" narrower...
and the SS15 can now hit with authority an honest to goodness 40hz.

This is still on paper and hornresp only, and it'll be a week or so before I can build/test... But I do have assembled 'original' SS15 cabinets, and I can do an A-->B comparison.

It "should" eliminate the one glaring weakness I see in the ss15. And it still does it from a single sheet, but this time you really do have nothing but sawdust left over... You even have to use the driver disk cut out from the baffle board as bracing.

Hey Jim, I'm having some trouble reading your measurements describing what distances from the edges the boards are to be placed. I've played around with a sketchup model, trying to get the most linear possible expansion, but I have to say my results look quite different from yours.

DISCLAIMER FOR ANYONE BROWSING THIS THREAD: THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL JBELL LAYOUT

As you can see, my path divider coming from the top of the horn is perpendicular to the top, and not angled like yours. However observing the cross sections, this seems to yield a good expansion on paper. It would be great if you could write your measurements more legibly for me

Still waiting for my Delivery of Eminences....

Oh and one more thing: what's this threads opinion on a good finish. Speaker felt, or some kind of robust paint? I already have edge rails and corner protectors on the way.
Old 1st July 2012, 11:42 AM   #1565
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
Oh and one more thing: what's this threads opinion on a good finish. Speaker felt, or some kind of robust paint? I already have edge rails and corner protectors on the way.
Speaker Cabinet Coatings | Texture Coating for Speakers | Road Cases Protective Coating

Highly rated around here and a few other forums/garages
Old 4th July 2012, 11:25 PM   #1566
diyAudio Member

Any observations on the better driver between RCF's 15P200AK vs B&C's 15TBX100 in the ss15?
Thanks
Bart
Old 5th July 2012, 12:41 AM   #1567
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
Any observations on the better driver between RCF's 15P200AK vs B&C's 15TBX100 in the ss15?
Thanks
Bart
Hi Bart,
The B&C 15TBX100 is not really suited for the SS15. It would perform way better in a THAM design. The SS15 asks for a driver with a lower BL force like the RCF L15P200AK.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:23 PM   #1568
diyAudio Member

i didnt read through all 32 pages, but im just about to go ahead and purchase a pair of JBL drivers for my SS15 cabs and just wanted to confirm what im seeing here..

before i go on, i must say i LOVE my SS15 cabs. i was using a pair of china brand 200w drivers and they sounded absolutely incredible and now theyre dead so i want more! better!

i just cant justify spending $130 freight on a $166 item. but, have found a JBL driver that i can get for $159 freight free in my country. its a JB1500N rated at 600wrms so will be fine for me when i rearrange my amp wiring.

here is my hornresp response sim. black = Kappa15lf pro grey= JB1500N

can someone please confirm what my brain does not believe my eyes are seeing.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:47 PM   #1569
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Ok, so my friend DJIM gently got me to act on this.... I haven't touched the ss15 design in months -- it just works so well.

The only downside for me, is that it is not a 'flat to 40' box. And I'm big on flat to 40.

So, a bit of 'S2 cone correction' instead of a compression plate.
1" taller and 1" narrower...
and the SS15 can now hit with authority an honest to goodness 40hz.

This is still on paper and hornresp only, and it'll be a week or so before I can build/test... But I do have assembled 'original' SS15 cabinets, and I can do an A-->B comparison.
It "should" eliminate the one glaring weakness I see in the ss15. And it still does it from a single sheet, but this time you really do have nothing but sawdust left over... You even have to use the driver disk cut out from the baffle board as bracing.
So what ever happened to this box?
Old 15th July 2012, 12:50 PM   #1570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This section of the original post will be used for navigating this thread, and will be updated occasionally.
What no pyro box link?

Hide this!Advertise here!