Single sheet TH challenge - Page 155 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 01:54 PM   #1541
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Posts #1539/1540

Hi Phil B,

If you made a Hornresp model, did you change it to a TH1 model by double-clicking on TH? That way you can add your horn extension as S4/S5. You may then have to use Exp for the S2/S3 horn segment as this horn has multiple tapers.

Regards,
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:01 PM   #1542
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Something really looks a bit off there. Did you do an impedance response test on your SS15 to see if it was a good match for the HornResp model?
Brian,

Indoor room modes often dominate low frequency measurements. Move the microphone or the speaker around and the response will change.

The indoor warehouse response simply reflects the "boom boom room" effect, their previous outdoor tests match the "normal" SS15 response pretty closely, as can be seen in the two screen shots of the same speakers below.
Left is in the warehouse, right is outdoors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indoor:outdoor.jpg (87.0 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 22nd May 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:36 PM   #1543
Phil B is offline Phil B  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi

I`ll have to ask Mr Rich ( R23d) about the hornresp modelling, he plugged in most of the data and we only made some small changes to match the RCF drivers.
As for the difference between indoors and outdoors I`ll have to go back to my statement of Holm Impulse giving us some very strange readings. It seems to fill in the gaps until it gets stable enough to plot properly. The REW measurements are very good and reflect what my ears think the boxes are doing. We tried running full range sweeps with Holm on the Unities and Subs combined outdoors. It just couldn`t give us an accurate reading with all the passband gains set at relative volume, it would seem to latch onto the highs and ignore the subs / mids.
NOW I must confess I hardly know the program and was intrigued to try it out. Again if I had the time to sit down with it and work out why we getting these results I`d love to! BUT time meant we moved to REW and now have two sets of results on two different measurement programs......not ideal or helpful!!
The warehouse we measured in was VERY big but full of clutter. Also we measured from 3-4m away on initial runs. So even with the mic pointing at the floor from < 1cm we might have got some room modes.The very first measurement runs were made with temp barn doors on one box at about 2am....not too scientific!
I personally am very happy with the result the doors give. We knew the subs were never going to reach 35hz or be 6db louder with them but they have added a simple, cheap way of getting nearer to that!

Phil B
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:46 PM   #1544
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Phil B,

Do you have indoor measurements of the same setup without the "barn doors"?
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:38 PM   #1545
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

As a new person to this site I just want to say thanks. This thread is an example of the collaboration that is the very best of the internet. I plan to build four to six of these this summer as a church youth group project. I am trying to create an initial lead booklet on the project for the kids and this thread at over 150 pages and 1500 posts has become a monster to navigate and extract the latest/best information from. Would it be possible to pull out and collect at the top of the thread:

1)The latest cutsheet
2)Recommended materials including adhesives and finishes
3)Assembly tips including where additional bracing may be wise even if they don't come out of a single sheet
4)Tips on finishing
3)Thoughts on best locations and options for handles, pole sockets, input panels.
4)Recommended drivers, response simulations for those drivers, real world measurements for those drivers
5)Recommended signal processing and amplifier power

Again this is a thread for the ages thanks to all the collaborators.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:44 PM   #1546
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I echo Dynamic's request.
An index in post1, showing links to the best bits of information would be really helpful to everyone reading this Thread.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:41 PM   #1547
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I echo Dynamic's request.
An index in post1, showing links to the best bits of information would be really helpful to everyone reading this Thread.
I've pm'd mods a couple times with the same request. If we can get moderator approval, I'd sure like to edit post 1 for just exactly that.

moderator? please??
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:16 PM   #1548
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

ahhh... THANK YOU... I now see an 'edit' on post 1.... Anyone with votes for favorite posts, let's hear them. In a couple days I'll compile a list of the best, and put it in the first post.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:48 AM   #1549
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Jbell,
the edit first post feature was brought in many weeks ago.

You don't need to ask the Moderators.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:00 PM   #1550
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

jbell, Thank You...the editing into post #1 has begun

Hide this!Advertise here!