Single sheet TH challenge

Hello, I got a question regarding diaphragm displacement in Hornresp and limiter settings.

I'm using the Oberton 15B450 in 4 SS15s, they sound great and loud, so far so good.

the 15B450 got 6,75mm xmax mentioned in the data sheet, linear max is 4,5mm tho.

I've checked the diaphragm displacement in Hornresp and the driver goes to 6,75mm at about 245w at 8 ohm.

I've been setting my peak limiter to exact 245w at 8 Ohm. Am I doing it right? or can I set it higher? How about power compression and so on?

I'm playing mostly techno through the system, so pretty low crest factor, some tracks with only 2db.

So how do I set limiters correctly when looking at hornresps displacement?

So assuming you have correctly set the high pass filter......
There are a number of things to concider.
Compression will increase the amount of power to reach x-max
When x-max is exceeded the amount of distortion will increase, but may be concidered as preferable to a hard limiter.
If you are regularly hitting that low set peak limit level. It's better to allow a transient peak.
The important things to avoid are x-mech which will damage the speaker.
And thermally not to overheat the voice coil.
It would be helpful if Oberton stated what x-mech was! Some drivers will mechanically limit excursion transients with the suspension, others will bottom out & be damaged.
One way to check excursion is visually. A small white dot & a pair of ear defenders will help here.

I would personally probably start with + 3dB - Double the Power.

I have run a similar pair of SS15 style speakers but with 4 inch coils at 1.1Kw each - Dependent on how capable your speaker managment is.

im not hitting the limiters, I use them primarily for deciding how loud to make the pa. so I sit there, watching the limiter flash, then turning down just a bit and then it just runs on that level.

what do you mean by visually ? how do I check that? mark the cone with a white dot and then put a ruler against it? what do you mean? with music, or sine wave input?

Big thanks for all of this help and the development of the SS15s. What started as a diy sub for small parties for me developed into a small system thats currently running a small techno club with a 20m2 dancefloor.

Already planning to build 4 more 😄
3CEBF1EB-EAED-4418-B8A7-246FF19A6F9C.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Here's the link again - hope it works this time: JBELL SS15 + the box 15LB075-UW4, Erfahrungs- und Bauberichte - HIFI-FORUM
If not, just Google the thread title, "JBELL SS15 + the box 15LB075-UW4", and you shall find it.
btw,
the OP that posted this thread on the German site, removed most of the work

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-238-184.html

his last post on 1st thread was:
"For reasons that cannot be published, I took this report offline, including the measurement data or linked audio samples contained therein.
If my measurement data of the housing are still in circulation, I hereby prohibit the use or use of it as a copyright owner. Publication."

Does Jim got mad with them ?