Single sheet TH challenge - Page 152 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 08:28 PM   #1511
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
........while not so long ago there was a time he would be tarred and feathered and be accused of certain voodoo practices.
Single sheet TH challenge
Old 18th May 2012, 08:34 PM   #1512
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Bart, there should be a post with hornresp model in this tread. Since you live in Belgium I can't think of another driver that come close price/performance wise.
Old 18th May 2012, 08:46 PM   #1513
diyAudio Member

To be honest Jim, I think the man deserves more credits. He is also one of few who is prepared spending a lot of time and effort in testing and measuring in favour of the community. His Keystone folding style looks very promising too and I really like the idea of the extra volume between S4 and S5 to enhance the low end. If you design correctly you can position the extra volume on the frequency you wish.

Last edited by Djim; 18th May 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 18th May 2012, 08:57 PM   #1514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
To be honest Jim, I think the man deserves more credits. He is also one of few who is prepared spending a lot of time and effort in testing and measuring in favour of the community. His Keystone looks very promising and I really like the idea of the extra volume between S4 and S5 to enhance the low end.
We all learn... that's the great thing about this community. I just thought that was a great example of how things progress... I had no other reason for pointing to that post.

StadiumHorn would have never existed without Lilmike, David and Hornresp, a FLH fiasco, and a deadline.

SS15 would have never existed without screamersusa, flutes, clarinets, and a host of others input.

Many of my other unpublished designs wouldn't exist without the knowledge I've been fortunate to receive from members here and other places.

The reason I post some of my designs is my way of giving back. Many a small business has flourished with less than what is freely available on this forum.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:17 PM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Even after so long my colleagues favourite ‘wrap it up in his face’ moment is my 1/4wl mistake. Somehow it has become synonym for every mistake I make .

I’m really curious about your findings of your new lay-out and hopefully you hit the jackpot in one time because I really can’t see how you can make panels from dust that is left.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:19 PM   #1516
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey jbell, I'm glad to see that the modification for cone volume compensation has made it from the other two bigger/lower PA TH threads over here to the SS15. Flat to 40 is something I'm also after, and if you say this gets it there, it sounds promising to me. Are you ready to post HR plots (or even inputs) comparing the two designs yet? Definitely looking forward to some measurements after you've made sawdust.

And Djim, what does the RCF L15P200AK cost in .nl/.be? Because over here in .de it's about 300€, which doesn't seem like such a good deal, considering you can get the original 3015LF for 250 or the Kappa Pro for 150.
Old 19th May 2012, 02:33 AM   #1517
diyAudio Member

Hi James, you should be able to get them for 209 Euro from Thomann over there.
Old 19th May 2012, 06:20 AM   #1518
r23d is offline r23d  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default More ss15 developments...

Nice to see Mr Bell is still tweaking!

I made 4 of the original SS15's with my friends Phil and Marc and we have been playing with detachable "barn doors" to see what kind of extra performance gains are possible. Phil works with large touring rigs and has been keen to make a smallish tapped horn with collapsible extensions for a while and it really does work well.

We used 3 more sheets to make extensions for the 2x2 stacks, but for 4-8 db gain (curves for 1 box, 2 boxes and 2+extensions are attached), an extra 3/4 of a sheet per pox makes for a good sound to material ratio

They also unclip and pack flat...

It allows a pair of ss15s to hit a 45Hz corner, bumping up 40-45hz response by about 7-8db over a pair of subs with no extensions.

We came to the shape after a lot of experimentation with bits of ply and measurement mics, plus deciding on 600mm maximum extension from the front.

I can post sketches/plans if anyone else is keen, or just experiment yourself!

FYI, forum member Art Welter did something very similar with his keystone sub, and got equally impressive gains :

Horn Extender/Wave-guide for TH

happy experimenting!

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barn door comparision.jpg (147.6 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg 1331011162698.jpg (812.6 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg 405066_10150824163216287_536031286_12145479_1272765327_n.jpg (111.5 KB, 365 views)
Old 19th May 2012, 02:55 PM   #1519
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi r23d,

Post #1518: "...I can post sketches/plans..."

Just the dimensions (size of the opening and depth of the extension) would be nice.

And, what was your measurement setup?

Regards,
Old 19th May 2012, 03:15 PM   #1520
diyAudio Member

PDC

Pretty Darn Cool

Hide this!Advertise here!