Single sheet TH challenge - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2010, 04:26 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Is the Crown's crossover in the digital domain?
Old 9th September 2010, 06:50 PM   #132
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
Is the Crown's crossover in the digital domain?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:53 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

I installed a P7000S fed by a DCX2496 for the subs I built. Worked nicely. Sweet amp for sure. Built in filters are good as a fail safe but not steep enough for actual use.
Have to agree that the xti are practical, wish there was a PA plate amp that did the same without being too expensive. Active subs ftw.

jbell do you have any details in those tops?
Old 10th September 2010, 12:35 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
For a loud cheap DJ proof setup that fits in a corolla... I haven't found a setup that beats a pair of the half sheet beta12a tops, a pair of the single sheet subs and an xti.
Jim do you have to hold your tops back(pair of beta 12 half sheet) for the subs(pair of single sheet subs) to keep up?

Any pics to share with us of the finished tops and subs?

I just cut my cube up and will use it for braces on the new design. Didn't really have that much waste. May even get a few build pieces out of the scrap.

Thanks Mike
Old 10th September 2010, 06:27 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
why is 900W chosen to be "nice"?
I could just as easily suggest that "nice" equates to 900mW or 9W or some other number plucked out of the air.
Well since I would like more sound instead of less I would like it to handle more power to get more sound. Nothing complex.

Since less power is wasted as heat, and the drivers rear is not enclosed there is the possibility that it can handle more power.
Old 11th September 2010, 08:30 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As far as this particular cabinet in the above link? Hornresp says you'll get upper 120's per cabinet 40hz on up at 63v. A 40hz 48db/oct high pass makes this design PE limited, not xmax limited from 40hz on up.

I've personally run it up to about 125db with sine waves, so what I built vs. hornresp is on the money. The big difference between testing and hornresp specs are that I get a little more 40hz, and the notch at 170hz is a very narrow 2hz, 6db notch.
When I input the hornresp parameters I'm not seeing that eff@ 40 Hz... I get 92@40. Is there a revision I'm missing?
Old 12th September 2010, 02:43 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
When I input the hornresp parameters I'm not seeing that eff@ 40 Hz... I get 92@40. Is there a revision I'm missing?
as I said... I get more 40hz than hornresp predicts,and the midbass notch predicted, is greatly reduced to only a 2hz wide notch. Other than that, what I built and the hornresp sim line up nicely.

You still want to run 2 cabinets or more to get good 40hz response.
Old 13th September 2010, 02:07 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Thanks jbell for ignoring my question above! Why post this stuff up if your not willing to answer questions and help others?
Old 13th September 2010, 02:48 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike james 533 View Post
Thanks jbell for ignoring my question above! Why post this stuff up if your not willing to answer questions and help others?
wow... I've always been willing to help.

No pics at the moment, last set built are installed. I've got another hs gym to do in the next week or two, will snap a couple pics then. I'm experimenting with the 12" dayton conical waveguides on this set to see what there is to see, because it's just a pair of tops / pair subs installed up high on one end of a gym.

Your music vs mine will be different, your locations vs mine will be different -- so holding back tops or not will obviously be different. I can't say for sure what you'll expect. If I thought I could have given you a reasonable answer, I would have.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:34 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
wow... I've always been willing to help.

No pics at the moment, last set built are installed. I've got another hs gym to do in the next week or two, will snap a couple pics then. I'm experimenting with the 12" dayton conical waveguides on this set to see what there is to see, because it's just a pair of tops / pair subs installed up high on one end of a gym.

Your music vs mine will be different, your locations vs mine will be different -- so holding back tops or not will obviously be different. I can't say for sure what you'll expect. If I thought I could have given you a reasonable answer, I would have.
Sounds like somebody needs a chill pill.

Hide this!Advertise here!