Single sheet TH challenge

Hello all. I recently found this site and have been ferociously devouring this thread... so far I'm up to page 86. Thank you so much for the extreme amount of knowledge I have already gleaned from you generous people and your experiences! I have gotten into this while on a vacation and can't wait to get back so I can start playing around with HR.

I am somewhat new to the very technical end of speaker design but have been in audio production and synthesizer design for decades so I am picking it up fairly quickly. I am enamored with the idea of JBell's SS15 and TH subs in general. I am hoping that I could get a quick piece of advice/direction from one (or more) of you so that I can at least head in the right direction.

I am in the beginning stages of my plan to build some subs as I have recently come into possession of four Eminence Omega Pro 15A drivers. I am concerned that the SS15 and possibly a TH design in general may not be suitable for these drivers as XMax is 4.8mm, or if this is not a problem with the SS15 since Fs of the driver is 33Hz...?

I will be running mainly electronic music through the subs, and would love as much LF extension as is reasonably feasible. Amp will be Crown XTi 4000.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this cab design and this driver?

Thank you all for what you do.

Thomas
Zawp - I cant comment on your post for the Omega 15 but I can say that in previous discussions about other woofers the common theme seems to be that the SS15 was designed specifically for the 3015LF.

I have 4 cabinets properly loaded for sale if you are anywhere near the southeastern US. I would also consider a partial trade for your 4 omega 15s as I have another project that could use them. Also know that I am not selling them because I don't like them...I just went bigger. I originally built these because pack space was limited - my pack space grew unexpectedly so I build some large 21" cabinets and don't have a need for these SS15s anymore.

See my post above "2270" for my first take in a live setting with them.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your offer and I am in the South but I am using the opportunity I have been presented with the acquisition of these drivers to try my hand at building something I can be proud of, and therefore am not really "in the market" for some needed subwoofers. I tend to thirst for information and new experiences and my interest is highly piqued by what I've read on this site so far.

My plan, absent any quick replies that could save me some time, was to learn HR a bit by attempting to modify the SS15 design however necessary in order to work well with the drivers I have, try it out, then tear it down to try something else, eventually landing on something I am happy with while learning a lot along the way.

Your experience with the SS15 seems to mirror many others I've read so far, and the quick and easy build seems to be a good starting point for me. I just don't want to blow the driver cones right off the bat!

Completely understand. Best of luck.

Seems like the biggest draw back to the current design would be the 1/2 ply and bracing. If you beefed up to 3/4 ply and added enough bracing that would probably give you a good starting point. You are on the right track to adjust the cabinet for the driver but it may be easier to re-direct towards a THAM15 or XOC since the work may already be done for you.

The specs on the Omega 15 are a little similar to the 3015lf but as you mentioned already the low Xmax is the key difference. Also note that these woofers have relatively low motor strength compared to other 15s, which isn't (through my basic understanding) as important in TH designs as in others since the enclosure is working in your favor. I added a comparison chart I keep for visibility on popular 15 subs.
1659638476618.png

Oh that's great! Thanks for the chart.

I have read mention of both the THAM15 and XOC1 and had begun to think that maybe these would be more suitable as I read through the thread. This is largely what made me start thinking that maybe the SS15 may not be ideal, however, I know just enough to be dangerous at this point!

Regardless of whether I try the SS15 route, I can say the overall concepts debated in this thread have been an excellent starting point for a crash course in all things DIY speaker design, and for that I am grateful.

I plan to finish my read through on the last 40 or so pages of this thread and will then address the 20 or so browser tabs that have spawned from it, among which I know the two projects you mentioned are included.

Hopefully in the meantime I might come across more info on how these drivers would work in the SS15 and a TH design in general and why.

The Omega Pro 15a sims reasonably well in a 1 watt sim but the rub is it reaches 4.8mm x-max at about 121.3 db - 28.3V (100w@8R)
The 3015LF manages 126.7 db at 9.6mm x-max 54.7V (375W@8R)
No thermal compression taken into account with those power values - so might take 2 X the power to get the speaker moving.
So at xmax it takes 2 off omega Pros to match 1 off 3015LF
1659646172170.png

Comparison at Xmax
Omega just about 5mm black
3015 about 9.6mm grey

Thank you Xoc1. I really appreciate that. It sounds like this is not the cabinet for this driver.

I have to thank you for all of your input into this thread and your help on the SS15. I have learned a lot from reading about your experiences.

As I understand it, you have a few designs of which one may work better with this driver. Which design do you think is a better fit for these drivers in order to get the most out of them?

Does anyone know the voice coil winding height for the Omega Pro 15a and 3015LF? From what I gathered Eminence uses a more conservative way to calculate the Xmax for the Omega Pro.

If that is true (and considering lower power compression for the Omega), they might be much closer to each other than that simulation suggests.

Does anyone know the voice coil winding height for the Omega Pro 15a and 3015LF? From what I gathered Eminence uses a more conservative way to calculate the Xmax for the Omega Pro.

If that is true (and considering lower power compression for the Omega), they might be much closer to each other than that simulation suggests.

From the Eminence site:

Xmax/Xlim​

Short for Maximum Linear Excursion. Speaker output becomes non-linear when the voice coil begins to leave the magnetic gap. Although suspensions can create non-linearity in output, the point at which the number of turns in the gap (see BL) begins to decrease is when distortion starts to increase. Eminence has historically been very conservative with this measurement and indicated only the voice coil overhang (Xmax: Voice coil height minus top plate thickness, divided by 2). The Xmax figures on this website are expressed as the greater of the result of the formula above or the excursion point of the woofer where THD reahes 10%. This method results in a more real world expression of the usable excursion limit for the transducer. Xlim is expressed by Eminence as the lowest of four potential failure condition measurements: spider crashing on top plate; Voice coil bottoming on back plate; Voice coil coming out of gap above core; or the physical limitation of cone. A transducer exceeding the Xlim is certain to fail from one of these conditions."

According to this, if we know the top plate thickness we should be able to determine the voice coil height, correct? I haven't seen that spec anywhere, though...

The Xmax figures on this website are expressed as the greater of the result of the formula above or the excursion point of the woofer where THD reahes 10%

It looks to me that the older models like the Omega Pro still use the (Hvc - Hg ) / 2 method, while the 3015LF uses the THD 10% method, which results in a higher Xmax figure than the original (and older) method. Hg is around 9.5 mm for both drivers but if the calculation/ measurement method is different for the 2 drivers you can't compare them that way. Knowing Hvc for the 3015LF would clear things up ;)

Yes, it is possible to use drivers that won't work well in any cabinet :)
ROTFL!! (cofee spitted on my keyboard )
that makes much sense
i saw people in mexico who just stick any driver on to any cab
and use walls of them so to have a big sound system
efficent ? i doubt... but they make some noise
lol

i saw lilmike's (lilwrecker) who used alpine 10" car drivers
but the box is too big to carry around and i think was made as home sub.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32851563422.html
Thinking of taking a chance on a aliexpress plate 1300w amp for one of these subs with a 3015lf
Anyone used RCE / GetShow audio products. What do you think my chances are on this working? (Company seem to have ok feedback, apart from cables being extra, and some people not being able to obtain software - but I will check this before purchasing )