Single sheet TH challenge - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2011, 08:55 PM   #1041
diyAudio Member

Djim:

Looks like you're using WinISD. I'd like to experiment with modeling filters in TH's. Are you modeling your examples with vented enclosures? (I didn't see TH as an option)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safe_Filter_sets_SS15_01.jpg (135.6 KB, 535 views)
Old 18th July 2011, 09:06 PM   #1042
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Crescendo,

Yes, I use WinISD for quick excursion analyses for setting out filters (all tools for that are provided in WinISD). If you want more accuracy try 6th order bandpass and try to align the impedance and excursion to that of the TH in HornResp. But basreflex is most time close enough for THs with an 1/4WL above 30Hz.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:19 PM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Great! Thanks! Will do
Old 26th July 2011, 03:56 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
As requested, here's links to the plans. (is there a moderator way to add this info the post1???)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac..._aug18_dwg.pdf

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...le_revised.pdf

These come from post 74 and post 622. Kappa pro 15lf2 works in place of the (now) more expensive 3015lf, as do several other drivers.

Thanks to all who contributed.
i tried to sim the P Audio C15-600 in the SS15. not sure if my results are correct, but it looks nice. Group delay looks nice. Xmax is less for the C15 compared to the Kappa pro 15lf.
Old 1st August 2011, 06:14 PM   #1045
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
WOW... SO I've been away from the forum and I had to catch up from like page 30 to now page 105, BTW Congrats on your post 1000 JBELL, truly amazing work and all this to come to the conclusion that your original design was spot on... Congratulations...

I came here, obviously because of the price of the 3015lf shot through the roof and 2 of my subs are still using the JBL speaker, so before I upgraded to the new super expensive 3015lf, I wanted to see what alternatives you guys have come up with... There was a seller on ebay selling each for @ $200 each,

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMINENCE-KAPPALI...item2c5dc567bb

One question for Flip C that someone else asked and I did not see an answer, are those tops on the truss DIY also, or are they commercial?

One note, I have been running my subs with my qsc 2402, bridged Mono at 4 ohms for 2 parallel SS15s (1,200 watts per sub) one notch on the amp before clipping mixer main vol at 0 db I am happy to report no problems, no blown speakers (KNOCK ON WOOD) ...

I do seem to find a lot of distortion from full blast on the mixer, than running it at -10db on the mixer... The bass is not as clean but louder... another not, I never correctly 'broke in' my subs.. by the time i read about breaking in, I had already used them in my first event...

My main question here, is, should I replace my JBLs with two new 3015s or buy 4 new subs of the same brand/model?

Last edited by fhperez; 1st August 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add link to ebay....
Old 1st August 2011, 11:37 PM   #1046
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
A friend requested my help in acquiring a PA setup, and while I'm hardly an expert, this looks like very good value for money. The savings on the Bill Fitzmaurice plans are also much appreciated.

Can anyone provide a link to some "tops" suitable for use with these cabinets? I don't need anything too enormous - a single 12" driver should be more than adequate - and I'm on a minimal budget.

Last edited by Spasticteapot; 1st August 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:48 AM   #1047
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post
A friend requested my help in acquiring a PA setup, and while I'm hardly an expert, this looks like very good value for money. The savings on the Bill Fitzmaurice plans are also much appreciated.

Can anyone provide a link to some "tops" suitable for use with these cabinets? I don't need anything too enormous - a single 12" driver should be more than adequate - and I'm on a minimal budget.
Here's a link for what I use for tops.... and if you'd like me to burn a cd of plans and charge you... I could....
Single sheet TH challenge
(joking, would never charge for anything)

Fhperez:
Don't fix what's not broke -- but I do remember you saying that the jbl's were about a db or so lower in output vs the 3015lf's.

My2c, since I know you push things hard. You can get 4015lf's for about the same $200 mark. (google for it) and they have a higher aes rating, 4"vc instead of 3" vc, a tougher cone and put out a bit more output than the 3015lf's -- at the expense of a few more pounds. Where you aren't installing these 30' in the air, the extra few pounds, vs the peace of mind knowing you have a higher power rating driver is probably worth it.
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:29 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Here's a link for what I use for tops.... and if you'd like me to burn a cd of plans and charge you... I could....
Single sheet TH challenge
(joking, would never charge for anything)

That link doesn't work, but I managed to find it after sifting through the thread for the appropriate post ID.

This looks to be a rather elegant design - the flat surfaces look quite easy to build, and 130dB from a single $65 driver is pretty impressive. I'm curious about the D220TI, though; I'm a bit fuzzy on the math, but a D220ti doesn't seem to have the required output to match the midrange and woofer with a 1.9khz crossover point. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:31 AM   #1049
diyAudio Member

This top looks simple enough that even I could build it, but I don't see a diameter for the driver cutout.
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:37 AM   #1050
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Quote:

Fhperez:
Don't fix what's not broke -- but I do remember you saying that the jbl's were about a db or so lower in output vs the 3015lf's.

My2c, since I know you push things hard. You can get 4015lf's for about the same $200 mark. (google for it) and they have a higher aes rating, 4"vc instead of 3" vc, a tougher cone and put out a bit more output than the 3015lf's -- at the expense of a few more pounds. Where you aren't installing these 30' in the air, the extra few pounds, vs the peace of mind knowing you have a higher power rating driver is probably worth it.
Thanks, I think I will be buying those, and no I am not installing these 30' in the air, although I may want to get into doing that... I just don't know how to get started doing that..

Hide this!Advertise here!