Connecting 2 subs to 1 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2010, 01:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Connecting 2 subs to 1 amp

Heres what they are...

Amp ; Alpine pdx-1.600 600 watt rms by 2ohm or 4ohm

Subs ; Two 10" Alpine Type R's 2ohm Dual Coils

I have been trying to connect both of them in a parallel connection but when i do and I put them both in my box they go flat, once I take one speaker out a little bit they hit again.

I look at the wiring diagram that came with the speakers but I don't think I am doing it right.

Maybe its the box I'm putting them in, maybe i need another amp, maybe its the way I'm wiring. Right now I just have the one hooked up and it hits but not like a type r should, other people I know who have type s tens rattle windows!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:38 AM   #2
trd1587 is offline trd1587  Canada
diyAudio Member

try making a 4 ohm with them hooked in serie.

AMP+=======+Sub-===+Sub-=====-AMP
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Speakers have four connections each, +-+- am i just connecting the outside +- and bridging them?
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Purely guessing here, but odd that one driver direct to the amp isn't working right?

Sounds like each driver has two windings, each of which is 2 ohms. Wire them in series, find the + of the first winding (either one is OK) and connect it to amp the other end of that winding (the -) to the + of the second winding and then the - of the second winding to the amp. I could have that wrong, but that's the concept.

If that doesn't sound OK, that is odd.

Then might as well do drivers in series (total of 8 ohms, again the first - wired to the second +) instead of in parallel (total of 1 ohm... not good).
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was wiring it wrong, i finally fixed it!!!!!!!! and now they hit HARDDDD!!! Getting my twleve inch type rs sunday can't wait, thank you to all that replied!!! It was all helpful!!

This is how I wired it;

Amp + to speakerA winding 1+ Speaker wire from winding 1+ to speaker b winding 1+ Amp - to Speaker A Winding 2 - speaker wire from winding 2- to speaker b winding 2 - then I two headed banana clipped the + and - of winding 1 and winding 2 bridged them and completed the 2ohm series

WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!!!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a dangerously low impedance wired in parallel (if I understand correctly)... 1 or 2 ohms?

Why not wire in series, like others have suggested?

Footnote: bigger boom will ensue from destroying the damping factor too, when wired in series.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

well the speakers them selves are 2 ohm speakers and the amp runs 600 watts in both 2 and 4 ohms so why would that be dangerous? I wired it the way alpine said to wire two subs to one amp at 2ohms.
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc..._SWR-1242D.PDF

Heres the manual, let me know, cuz if i did wire it dangerously i will change it asap!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can't understand the pdf pictures. I didn't realize you had a stereo amp and each driver is connected to a different amp (see the ambiguity?). Sorry.

I suspect both the amp and speaker will be happier of you wire the two voice coils in series, as I described, and present the amp with a 4 ohm load. While I suppose the amp can drive a 2 ohm load OK, given the opportunity to use 4 ohms, I'd take it. But then again, I am not too familiar with auto sound practice.

Tip: if the 2 ohm power output rating of the amp (amps?) is not fully double the 4 ohm rating, go with 4 ohm wiring.

Last edited by bentoronto; 23rd July 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTrelease View Post
Heres what they are...

Amp ; Alpine pdx-1.600 600 watt rms by 2ohm or 4ohm

Subs ; Two 10" Alpine Type R's 2ohm Dual Coils

I have been trying to connect both of them in a parallel connection but when i do and I put them both in my box they go flat, once I take one speaker out a little bit they hit again.

I look at the wiring diagram that came with the speakers but I don't think I am doing it right.

Maybe its the box I'm putting them in, maybe i need another amp, maybe its the way I'm wiring. Right now I just have the one hooked up and it hits but not like a type r should, other people I know who have type s tens rattle windows!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Click the image to open in full size.

Sounds like a 2 ohm final impedance is what you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!