Connecting 2 subs to 1 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think most are agreeing that the amp will perform better if it is given a 4ohm load rather than a 2ohm load.

My general advice.
Don't go to extreme low impedance loads, ever.
Dedicate an appropriate amplifier to every driver.

SPL in-car can be a very interesting beast.

I'm just not sure what the hesistation is to an amplifier that's known to be stable into a 2 ohm load, with the coils that the OP currently has.
stable into 2r0 is quite different from able to drive 2r0 to specification and different again from able to drive a 2ohm reactive load.

The spec telling one that the amp is stable into 2ohm (meaning resistance but choosing to hide that necessary bit of information) tells me the amplifier is not suitable for driving a 2 ohm speaker. It may be suitable for driving a 4ohm speaker but much more likely is that it will do a good job of driving an 8ohm speaker, can drive a 4r0 resistive load to specification and is stable into a 2r0 resistive load.

SPL is not all. Clean SPL is what music reproduction is about.

Im not sure how you were wiring them and if you are still looking for solutions, but when I had to do this with my subs and amp (2 JL Audio 12" w3v3 2 ohm/and 1 Alpine pdx 1.600 Mono) I wired it this way:

Amp + and Amp - (which there is only one terminal for each since its a mono)
to
Sub#1 + and Sub#1 -

Then I wired from:

Sub#1 + to Sub#2 +
Sub#1 - to Sub#2 -

This is probably what you were already doing but just incase not I figured I would put it out there for you to consider, and by the way I love my Alpine PDX and have never had any issues with it in the past three years. Its a great Amp to have. Good Luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.