Hi there, two designs, one decision. Simple Q'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those that have BassBox 6 Pro, hopefully some of you, I have a question.

Which of these two designs would you go with, and why?

1. Dayton QT385-4 15" QUATRO in a sealed box with a Vb of 2.98 ft3 and a V(total) of 3.11 ft3.

2. Dayton DCS450-4 18" CLASSIC in a sealed box with a Vb of 2.67 ft3 and a V(total) of 2.962 ft3.

This will go in a car, and the box dimensions are designed to fit into a certain part of the trunk, and believe it or not, will preserve most of the trunk for storage still. This is a Chrysler Concorde with a giant trunk. I want to build a subwoofer which will not leave me with a feeling of something missing. I have settled on either of these two drivers due to cost/performance ratio.

These graphs include the 12db/octave curve optimistically expected.

Please ignore bracing and thickness of material for now.

Thanks!!!

Here are the files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5430178/QT385-4_SEALED_CAR.bb6

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5430178/DCS450-4_SEALED_CAR.bb6

Here is the normalized amplitude response, with a second plot of the included car acoustic response file of bb6. Obviously the car response is an estimate.

15" Quatro:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

18" Classic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As you can see I do not run windows, so I am using wine under arch linux. I could not move the graphs or resize them. I do not know if it is due to wine or just a bb6 thing.

Thanks guys!

Understatement of the year ;)

Personally, I'd go with the Quatro. Really liked the one I heard, would be more than enough in a car.

My thoughts also. I don't think it will leave me with a feeling of anything "missing" either.

I plan on using 3/4" MDF with enough bracing, and some jet black cabinet carpet fro PE. I think this build will turn out better than my last (my first) hopefully.

I've been using an ApexJR "Super 8" in a ~ 0.4 ft3 sealed. I used some incredibly crap quality plywood and it chipped everywhere. It is unfinished in the trunk. It is a nice subwoofer and can put out some decent volume wth some surprisingly low response. But, sometimes, I want to turn it just a little louder without hearing unhealthy noises coming from it.

I think I will be able to use the amp I have been using with that on this new driver. Its about 200 watts, but the new one will have a much better sensitivity. I don't think I will want more than 200 watts going to it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.