Tymphany LAT700 in an OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stats look quite decent. Lowish, fs, nice high Qts. Xmax isn't stellar, but something's got to give.

Very high inductance and the geometry of the diaphragms, won't lead to a particularly high max cut off frequency. But provided you can live with an 80-100hz cut off I can't see any immediate problems.

If the LAT performs as well as it's spec suggests this should work very well. Bare in mind that although it will allow for a relatively narrow baffle, that would require a significant amount of EQ. So choose your design carefully. Slim but limited max SPL or wider but greater headroom.

A H or U frame would seem like the way to go. Increasing the effective baffle width by adding wings etc will only help with the narrow width LAT driver.

I was imagining putting two of them side by side.
They are easy to wire as a 4 or 8 ohm load.
Maybe as a helper for a pair of 604E's I have.

That's certainly and interesting system you'll have there:)

Having two side by side will certainly help things out a little. Madisound have also slashed the price considerably for the things, that might be why you're considering them in the first place.:D

I have heard good things about the 604Es in an OB and I have been sitting on these driver for many years now without doing anything.
While the 604E has quite a low Fs I think it will sound better without having to reproduce the bottom few octaves.
Since the baffle will already be quite wide, there is easily enough room for two of these LAT700s side by side.
Given the relatively limited Xmax, one per side may not be enough.
I was hoping somebody might have experimented with these.
Surely I won't be the first customer if I decide to go this way.

I'm sure the Altecs will be much happier having all the stuff below 80hz handled by something else. It will also relax the load presented to the amplifier driving it. Although the altec is so sensitive, power shouldn't really be an issue. That said EQ can push power requirements quite high and the Altecs absolute power handling is rather low (35 watts?) you don't want to accidentally fry something with a load of low bass.

I think the main reason why people have ignored the LAT drivers is the price. At $400+ per speaker, that's a lot of cash. Now the price has been reduced, they're a much more attractive option. That being said, if you've got a baffle wide enough to house a 15" driver, there are lots of other options to consider too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.