18 inch sub placement cunundrum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i have 2 18 inch subs. I am a DJ so i know how to set everything up and cable it all. My question is for home use ( when im not at an event) would the best placement of the subs be stacked and in a corner. more to the middle of the room. or in the doorway to an adjoining 100 square ft room. my main listening room is about 13 ftwide by about 30 feet long or approximately 400 sq feet, also for a room of this size what would be an appropriate approximate XO setting (upper and lower cutoffs).
thanks in advance
DJ Sprocket

Dig out the Harmon white paper on multiple subs. The goal of the paper is to make the sweet spot as big as possible. You'll want to experiment a bit, but a good starting point would probably be along the midpoints of opposite walls.

Crossover as low as your mains can handle at your target max SPL to make it less likely you will be able to localize the subs.

There are several room mode calculators such as the FRD tools one that will allow you to see what modes you will excite with various placements and choose the one that suits you.

A stack of 18" subs anywhere other than the corner will be visually imposing, and have ultra-low SAF. With separate placement you can probably get smoother overall response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.