Design help for Ascendent Avalanche 15 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2011, 03:23 PM   #31
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
P.S. this is the amp I'm using:

The Apex Junior Subwoofer Amp
Have you tried hooking the driver up to another amplifier to see if it makes noise?
Old 14th October 2011, 05:49 PM   #32
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Assuming there's power to the amp, did you verify its on/off sw. is OK?

GM
Old 15th October 2011, 08:58 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Well this has been a good learning experience. First up the box, I built it without bracing and I believe that was a mistake. The may that I built it makes it almost impossible to add bracing after the fact.

Second mistake, the amp. I liked the idea of having the frequency/volume controls on the front of the sub with the plate amp on the back. Now that I'm there, the connection between the two inside the box makes it very difficult to remove either of them to troubleshoot. Overall, I'm not really pleased with a plate amp period. Next time, going with a pro amp. Box construction, connectivity, future upgrades/repair issues would have been much easier with an outboard amp. Commercial sub, I definitely see the value in plate amps; DIY, pro amps for me.

So after several hours taking apart my sub and trying to figure out my amp problem, with no luck, I think I'm starting over again. I got the amp used, pretty cheap, so I can't really complain; I've bought/sold a lot of gear over the years and this was my first/only lemon. I'll keep and either try and get it working or use it for parts. It's really not very serviceable as lots of the important bits and pieces are well sealed up behind the circuit boards.

So, starting over. I'm still thinking sealed, 4^3 ft, but well braced this time. I'm probably going to use one of the Behringer iNuke amps with built in DSP. My plate amp claimed 350 watts into 4 ohms and I had WAY more output than I could use (my room is small) so I don't think I need gobs of power. I'm looking for clean deep extension, not max SPL. Should this one not go my way, maybe a sonotube next time around.

That's what DIY is all about, right?
Old 15th October 2011, 09:01 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Thinking maybe this one or it's bigger brother

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-iNUK...8669214&sr=8-6
Old 16th October 2011, 04:47 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
Well this has been a good learning experience. First up the box, I built it without bracing and I believe that was a mistake. The may that I built it makes it almost impossible to add bracing after the fact.

Second mistake, the amp. I liked the idea of having the frequency/volume controls on the front of the sub with the plate amp on the back. Now that I'm there, the connection between the two inside the box makes it very difficult to remove either of them to troubleshoot. Overall, I'm not really pleased with a plate amp period. Next time, going with a pro amp. Box construction, connectivity, future upgrades/repair issues would have been much easier with an outboard amp. Commercial sub, I definitely see the value in plate amps; DIY, pro amps for me.

So after several hours taking apart my sub and trying to figure out my amp problem, with no luck, I think I'm starting over again. I got the amp used, pretty cheap, so I can't really complain; I've bought/sold a lot of gear over the years and this was my first/only lemon. I'll keep and either try and get it working or use it for parts. It's really not very serviceable as lots of the important bits and pieces are well sealed up behind the circuit boards.

So, starting over. I'm still thinking sealed, 4^3 ft, but well braced this time. I'm probably going to use one of the Behringer iNuke amps with built in DSP. My plate amp claimed 350 watts into 4 ohms and I had WAY more output than I could use (my room is small) so I don't think I need gobs of power. I'm looking for clean deep extension, not max SPL. Should this one not go my way, maybe a sonotube next time around.

That's what DIY is all about, right?

IMO, good choice on a budget. I never did like the idea of mixing electronics with vibrations, ie "don't mount your amp on your sub box" comes to mind from my experiences in autosound. I don't care how much bracing you use, if it can get low n loud, it will vibrate. I have a pair of 15"subs in a 6.5 cu/ft @ 39hz box left over from our last system. I just put it in the corner of my living room and hit it with a Mackie 1400i......My God! it SLAMS. I had chosen the Powerbass 2XL 154D due to a 93 db spl rating and they sound 10 times better in my living room than they did in our Suburban.

Hide this!Advertise here!