Design help for Ascendent Avalanche 15 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2011, 06:45 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

So I'm finally making some progress. Wood is cut, odds and ends are purchased, and I'll be glueing everything up tomorrow. I ended up with 24x24x20 which I believe should give me j
Right around 4^3 ft when all is said and done. I used 19 mm MDF which looking back I probably should have gone with 22mm but live and learn.

My amp claims 350 watts into 4 ohms which considering the size of my room, should make my ears bleed. I'll see how I like it sealed and if it doesn't work for me, I'll try ported. I found a place that cut all the lumber for me, including the cutouts and when all was said and done I was only out about 40 bucks. I live in Germany and NOTHING is cheap here. I got some quotes from same cabinet makers to have them build the box and even unfinished they wanted 300 bones. A plane Jane cube out of MDF... 300 bucks!!!

I'll report back.
Old 3rd September 2011, 03:20 PM   #22
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

wow, it took you 20 months to get started?
Old 14th September 2011, 07:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Alright, I'm back. Sub is finished, well it's not painted, and I've been listening to it for a few days now. Some pros, some cons. Overall, very pleased with the extension and SPL. In my small room it hasn't bottomed out yet, my ONLY complaint about my little Hsu sub, and it really pressurizes the room. That being said, it is a little boomy. I was expecting some tighter bass from the sealed design.

My box is 24x24x20 and is made of 19mm MDF. I don't have any bracing or stuffing inside; big mistake? I'm sure I can easily add stuffing, bracing might be a little harder. Will that cure the boom?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

brace, brace, brace...

did i mention brace
Old 15th September 2011, 05:46 PM   #25
thachur is offline thachur  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to thachur
I would love if you could explain this a little more. What would this look like once built?

I have two of these subs in 2.2ft^3 each. I would like to make new sealed folded horn boxes that can be clamped together with a tie down belt if desired so that they cancel each others vibrations out.

kind of like this, but x2.
Funktion-One F118 MK2 18inch Subwoofer’s | Night Works Audio

Winter is almost here and I'd like to have this ready for sweaty cabin fever induced house shows.

On a side note can anyone give me their opinion of this sub with a dual spider instead of a single spider? I let other people play on my subs fairly often and they are both in need of a re-cone, would getting the dual spider cone help them take more abuse without loosing to much "crispness" or "musicality"?

A gift for your time!
Tasty new bass music. Untold - Bones (Rockwell Remix)
Untold - Bones (Rockwell Remix) - YouTube

Last edited by thachur; 15th September 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 16th September 2011, 02:30 AM   #26
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi thachur,

I guess you your not referring to the closed box but the ported and the T-TQWT?
I suggest the ported box should use an slot-port and the T-TQWT is folded more than once, the Letter S like= 2-folds?

b
Old 16th September 2011, 05:19 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
brace, brace, brace...

did i mention brace
Alright, sounds like that will be my next project. I'm hoping to get away with not completely disassembling the box; would several 2x4s tying the walls together be an acceptable solution?
Old 17th September 2011, 12:15 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

can you take the front off? I don't like beam bracing it only takes care of the primary harmonic of a panel. i'd start with two vertical braces on each panel i'll do a quick drawing

be right back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxbrace.jpg (129.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by revboden; 17th September 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Alright back again. I've been listening to my sub for a few weeks now, haven't torn it apart to add bracing yet, but today when I went to fire it up it was dead. No pops, no smoke, no weird smells, just no juice from the amp ( not even the little indicator lights.)

I've tried the easy stuff, checked the fuses, checked for loose wires, checked for obviously damaged caps/resistors and I've got nothing. Any suggestions?
Old 14th October 2011, 01:38 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

P.S. this is the amp I'm using:

http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!