Finally taking the plunge (Dayton PA310-8 TH) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2010, 03:34 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I've put up a page on this project here, just in case anyone's interested: The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : "Proof of Concept #2"
Old 8th August 2010, 03:36 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Of course we're interested
Old 3rd September 2010, 08:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Whats the max spl and power in? when do you reach excursion limits?
Old 4th September 2010, 06:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Whats the max spl and power in? when do you reach excursion limits?

I haven't measured max SPL, but it was enough to get some of the dust off of the ceiling. I wasn't able to get audible distortion with 120W in.

I'm going to be rebuilding the box in a few weeks, to fix a few issues I came across. Will do some more detailed response measurements then.
Old 5th September 2010, 08:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I haven't measured max SPL, but it was enough to get some of the dust off of the ceiling. I wasn't able to get audible distortion with 120W in.

I'm going to be rebuilding the box in a few weeks, to fix a few issues I came across. Will do some more detailed response measurements then.
At what SPL do you run out of excursion on the sim? (in the passband)
Old 14th September 2010, 10:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At what SPL do you run out of excursion on the sim? (in the passband)
Please.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:25 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please.
According to the sim, a bit over 115dB at 21.5 volts into 2PI space. Remember this is a $75 driver in a somewhat compromised (volume-wise) TH! Output before significantly audible distortion is likely going to be a bit higher, seeing that there's a null outside the upper passband that occurs just around where most of the distortion components caused by in-band excursion should show up.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
According to the sim, a bit over 115dB at 21.5 volts into 2PI space. Remember this is a $75 driver in a somewhat compromised (volume-wise) TH! Output before significantly audible distortion is likely going to be a bit higher, seeing that there's a null outside the upper passband that occurs just around where most of the distortion components caused by in-band excursion should show up.
Because the distortion is non linear I don't think it necessarily helps... anyway in between the nulls there's peaks so overall its a wash...
Old 25th December 2010, 04:09 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : "Proof of Concept #2"

Nice to see the impedance and spl charts... I subbed your WT3 measured T/S parameters is some of my sims and got a surprisingly similar response to the "original" measurements.
Do you have any more impressions of this driver/horn now? I'm a bit worried that the suspension is very non linear at higher excursions, even below x-max, giving what you said.
Old 25th December 2010, 04:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Nearly OT post:

How could PE muff the Le measurement so badly? After going for the shorting cap and all you'd think they'd be interested in showing such a low actual measurement for its effect in midbass/low mid applications.

But then the actual (presumably unbroken-in) reduced Fs alongside the suspension limited excursion seems to turn this custom PE speaker into yet another barely practical weirdo.

Actually, looking at the published specs for this series of speakers made me think, "Hmm copper cap eh? May as well leave it out since it ain't doin nothing."

In fact I recently chose a Beta12A2 over it because of that, but maybe the PA310 really is a decent high power low mid?

Hide this!Advertise here!