2.1: How well does it work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping to build myself a nice 2.1 system based around a DCX2496 for nearfield use, and was wondering what the thoughts here are on the use of two satellites with a single subwoofer. I'm aware that this configuration isn't idea, but it is very cost-effective, and lets me use some very small cabinets. What are your thoughts on the subject? What is the minimum crossover point you would use for such a setup?

The crossover point depends on the lower response of your satellite speakers to get the best out of your system. Theoretically the -3dB point is required and the crossover would be set at this frequency. As with all Hi Fi theory and practice don't always agree and some setting up is generally required but you should have a good starting point.
The HIFI site

I'd take it to 80Hz, then. Because then your subwoofer will be a few dBs down at 100Hz (the general frequency quoted for when it becomes locatable).

I've used a 2.1 setup for some time, it definitely works (and works well!), though stereo subs could be worth considering, as I've found room peaks and nulls by walking around.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.