Considering PD2450 in a huge sealed box... Seeking bass nirvana :) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2010, 04:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Google was no help to me with "dynamic frequency response modulation." Can you explain that, please.
Sure. Let's say our aim is to ensure that our hearing's relative frequency response (loudness of the bass relative to mid and treble) is something that we want to fix (not in the sense of repair, but in the sense of constancy). That is easily attainable with no effort whatsoever on our part, if the music being played has a constant SPL; if the SPL is constant then the frequency response of our ears does not change. It is when the SPL changes that our hearing changes. Thus, to maintain the same relative response, we must decrease the level of the bass as the SPL goes up and increase it when the SPL goes down, compared to some reference level. This is what I mean by "dynamic frequency response modulation". By doing so, our perceptive loudness of the bass is the same no matter what the SPL is. In contrast, conventional setups seem to have more bass as SPL rises and less bass as SPL drops.

Make sense?
Old 15th July 2010, 05:09 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Well, well, well, that is a highly imaginative rendition of psychology.

My understanding is more like this. When an organ pedal note is soft, it barely audible and hardly adds to the sound, whatever the loudness of the rest of the sound and before and after. When you crank up the volume, THAT same note is relatively louder AND it contributes more to the whole sound.

So when louder, the organ sounds different because that pedal is RELATIVELY more audible due to the Fletcher-Munson phenomenon. If the louder performance of that note is close to real church level, then you'd say, "Gosh, isn't Ben's hifi awfully good." But when played softly, you'd say, "Gosh when I heard that 5 manual Aeolian Skinner organ in the church, the bass seemed a lot more prominent than at Ben's house."

Simple?

You may think you rise above such human "non-linearities" by dint of superior cognition and are not a victim of such "illusions" and frailties. But I don't and I can't. Do you?

Does that prove my point about the value of correcting for the contours when you play softly (even if none of us bother)?

Bookmark this page.
Old 16th July 2010, 03:43 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

No, I don't see your point at all. I can recognize the effect and see no need to circumvent it.

Hide this!Advertise here!