Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2010, 01:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Blast King speaker

I've recently purchased a Blast King 15" woofer, model BKW 1556, and the only technical data I have is 300W peak power, 2.5" coil (I think this is big!), magnet weight and nothing else... do anyoneknow something about it, as RMS power, SPL, etc? Thanks!

BTW, sounds great!
Old 28th June 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

RMS power is usually about half, so think 150w RMS.

What kind of cabinet are you using it in?
Old 28th June 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
You can measure its thiele/small parameters with a piece of software, an amp, and your soundcard. That way you can build a proper box for it.
Old 29th June 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3 uN1Qu3 View Post
You can measure its thiele/small parameters with a piece of software, an amp, and your soundcard. That way you can build a proper box for it.
Hey hey hey! That's too much work! I wanted the easy way! I'm using it in a 1 x 15 cabinet, it has about 110 litres of internal volume (without the speaker), just for play the bass guitar with my band. Sounds great!
Old 29th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Well that cabinet size sounds about right for a 15". If it sounds fine then why bother.
Old 30th June 2010, 03:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3 uN1Qu3 View Post
Well that cabinet size sounds about right for a 15". If it sounds fine then why bother.
Just curious... I wanted an Eminence Beta 15 with 98dB, but got this for less than the half of the other, but no technical data... 2.5" coil diameter is quite big for 150W RMS, isn't it?
Old 30th June 2010, 03:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nah, just depends on the motor structure (over huge vs under hung etc). I've heard of 15" drivers with 4" voice coils, but they'd handle a very large amount of power...

Can you post pictures of the woofer? This might give us some clues about it. The Eminence driver will likely have more sensitivity, meaning you can go louder per watt. Handy if you happen to like that sort of thing.

Chris
Old 30th June 2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

2" - 2.5" is pretty normal for that power rating. Altec has 3" coils for 75 watts.
Old 30th June 2010, 04:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Nah, just depends on the motor structure (over huge vs under hung etc). I've heard of 15" drivers with 4" voice coils, but they'd handle a very large amount of power...

Can you post pictures of the woofer? This might give us some clues about it. The Eminence driver will likely have more sensitivity, meaning you can go louder per watt. Handy if you happen to like that sort of thing.

Chris
I like more SPL better, and more if they are Eminence speakers, they are great! Also there isn't enough variety of brands here... and current conversion aren't helping us very much.

I use a 1 x 12 and this 1 x 15 cabinet with semi-open back (just 10 cm in the middle, at the back) and this allows me for a bit more treble, and also my drummer can listen me a bit more...
Old 30th June 2010, 05:05 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Blast King is owned by Intermark now, so contact them for more info: Intermark Industries, INC.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!