Novice stereo subs project with stereo amp. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2010, 10:15 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd take the little fillet out, and it should be good to go... but it would be more faithful to the original if mutated so that you had something like the attched

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif vertruffsketch.gif (8.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 7th July 2010, 12:12 AM   #42
PJeff is offline PJeff  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great! Thank's David,
I'll modify it as you're suggesting...
Can you please tell me a bit more about the Shadow enclosure principle... How would you call it?... Ported+Horn?... What's the advantages of that enclosure with the TRIO12 over a ported box, a tapped horn or a transmission line? What's your experience with it?

Cheers
PJeff
Old 7th July 2010, 12:56 AM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is called a BVR -- Big Vent Reflex. The addition of the high aspect slot vent adds some R to the vent to help combat the drift in tuning inherent in a no-flat T/S curve.

dave
Old 7th July 2010, 03:00 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is called a BVR -- Big Vent Reflex. The addition of the high aspect slot vent adds some R to the vent to help combat the drift in tuning inherent in a no-flat T/S curve.

dave
Humm!!! Let's see..... Does that mean the frequency responce curve of just the reflex part isn't flat and the ''high aspect slot vent''(horn part) helps flattening it? (Sorry but I'm very novice at this.).
I've tried modeling just the reflex part with the Trio12 driver in WinISD and I get a box tuning frequency of 23.2Hz, a RED value of ''Vent mach'' which is 0.17, a frequency curve with a top spl value of +1.4dB at 56.5Hz and a -3dB at 31Hz.
-I'm at my very first experience with WinISD so am I correct with those values?
-Should I worry with the RED ''Vent mach'' value?
-Can I hope for a flatter response and a better lower extension with the added ''high aspect slot vent'' and the room gain.

I would like to have a better understanding and a better idea what to expect from this Trio12/Shadow design.

PJeff
Old 7th July 2010, 03:25 AM   #45
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

WinISD is incapable of modeling this. Actually i don't think anything can ... maybe Akabak.

One uses the tools at his disposal to model something, knowing, broadly what will happen when it is morphed into what is intended. These are Scott's designs, he has a range of tools, some he has written himself, and a whack of experience.

The closest you'll find to a general tutorial is the thread on Replikons (not to be confused with decepticons)

dave
Old 7th July 2010, 02:54 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
WinISD is incapable of modeling this. Actually i don't think anything can ... maybe Akabak.

One uses the tools at his disposal to model something, knowing, broadly what will happen when it is morphed into what is intended. These are Scott's designs, he has a range of tools, some he has written himself, and a whack of experience.

The closest you'll find to a general tutorial is the thread on Replikons (not to be confused with decepticons)

dave
Thank's Dave,
I found the thread and will have a look at it when I'll have a few minutes to focus on this..

PJeff
Old 7th July 2010, 03:18 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I would like to have a better understanding and a better idea what to expect from this Trio12/Shadow design.

Dave,
Could you please elaborate on what's your experience with the shadow enclosure with the Trio12 driver for me to have a better understanding of what I would be getting regarding performance?

To anyone interested,
To get the best performance for music reproduction, do you recommend a preferable firing position for the driver and the mouth in relation with the monitors? Right now, my variation is a front firing driver with a rear mouth but that's a first idea we can elaborate from... In my room, my actual monitors(9''Wx12''Dx16''H) have about 30'' free space from the front wall and 36'' from the side walls. What's your opinions?

PJeff
Old 7th July 2010, 06:08 PM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJeff View Post
Could you please elaborate on what's your experience with the shadow enclosure with the Trio12 driver for me to have a better understanding of what I would be getting regarding performance?
I have no direct experience, so no. It should give good, deep, controlled bass. On course room positioning is critical. Usually not the same place as the mains.

Floyd Toole and Sean Olive have a number of downloadable papers on the subject, but even all of those don't cover things as well as Floyd's book.

dave
Old 7th July 2010, 06:24 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Do you think I would get any advantage going with a front or side firing Mouth instead of a rear firing one?

PJeff
Old 8th July 2010, 02:27 AM   #50
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bass is omnidirectional. as long as a wall does not obscure the driver or opening you be fine. For max versalility make a mirror imaged pair with side firing vents.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!