Novice stereo subs project with stereo amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We did the units Bob is selling (or Duo did, i just co-ordinated).

Note: these units come with the labeling on a separate plastic sticky sheet. You can completely dissasseble and install as originally intended, cur out the labels parts and stick them where they should be (as i did on mine), just slap it on the top. or leave them off.

Units are silver or black (silver knobs in both cases). Labels being black on clear are not that useful on the black units as far as sticking them

Price is going to be $45 /unit, $50 with a bag of parts or you pay Duo his hour ($50) for him to execute all the mods (volume control isolation, regulated supply, stereo and gain mod)

I'm very interested in a unit with a bag of parts but... do you think someone handy WITHOUT electronic knowledge can properly do the mods for a stereo unit?

Shipping (and GST, PST, HST if applicable) on top

dave

Bob sources from PE fairly regularily so he can get eminence. Living 4 miles from the USA, he has an excellent scheme for getting things across the border.

Q (aka McBride) have, in my limited experience, also been good and are quite a few provinces closer to you.

Thank's, I'll keep that in mind.:up:

I'll have to go back and look. With the demise of the FExx7 series of drivers, high efficiency choices will soon be halved (but i have stock on all of them ATM). We are also doing more & more Mark Audio. In a lot of cases the best choice comes down to what amp you will be using?

I wish to be using a Rotel integrated amp (RA-985BX) 100W/ch in 8ohms for the two subs only.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...PSB B25's(monitor speakers) for a little while now and I've been contemplating sub kits like Rythmik to name one... But, I also have a Rotel amp (RA-985BX) 100W/8ohms sitting on a shelf and was wondering if it would be possible, as a cheaper alternative, to use it with something like a Reckhorn F-1 Stereo from CSS Audio to drive a stereo pair of not too expensive high efficiency sub drivers and maybe even use the enclosures as speaker stands? I'm thinking 12'' drivers.

Ok i went back and grabbed this. You aren't looking for a FR but woofers. 100W stereo is a fair amount of power... i've not paid much attention to "high efficiency woofers. I tend to use Bob's drivers. Trio12 is good value.

dave

Ok i went back and grabbed this. You aren't looking for a FR but woofers. 100W stereo is a fair amount of power... i've not paid much attention to "high efficiency woofers. I tend to use Bob's drivers. Trio12 is good value.

Humm? The Trio12 has a SPL of 85.6dB@1W/1m... that's not very high for a 100W integrated. It says that it's designed to be used primarily with the matching APR passive radiators. In what config would you recommend using it to stay within my budjet(in other words, I can afford only two Trio12 WITHOUT the passive radiators). And, about my amp, should I be worried about power/impedance if I was never able to find any wattage value when driving 4ohms(even in manufacturer's specs or manual? Although, behind the amp it says ''4 ohm min.''

FYI, I like my reckhorn f-1 a lot. I got mine a while back when they were still $55, at that price a no-brainer. With the higher price? I've got enough projects these days that I'd probably still pay it, but if you've got time on your hands go ahead and make something.

I got my woofers from Jack Hidley. NHT drivers and electronics surplus sale
AR 12" for $30 might be nice, but he isn't in Canada.

I rock the sealed box for the transient response.

I'm sure these other guys will come up with something great as well.

Shadow x 2!!... What is ''shadow''?

Forget about that... I just found the shadow box on your site. Would there be any way to make it about 24inches high? My idea is to use the subs as stands for my monitors. If not possible, no big deal. It just would be nice to be able to do that...

To Dave or anyone,
With the Reckhorn F-1 stereo unit there's no phase shift adjustment. Most sub amps has that. I'm wondering if that missing adjustment will likely give me some headacks to properly integrate the subs with my monitors???

Last edited:
FYI, I like my reckhorn f-1 a lot. I got mine a while back when they were still $55, at that price a no-brainer. With the higher price? I've got enough projects these days that I'd probably still pay it, but if you've got time on your hands go ahead and make something.

I got my woofers from Jack Hidley. NHT drivers and electronics surplus sale
AR 12" for $30 might be nice, but he isn't in Canada.

I rock the sealed box for the transient response.

I'm sure these other guys will come up with something great as well.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I'll have a look for sure.
PJeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Would there be any way to make it about 24inches high?

It is possible, but they'd be kinda strange looking.... same concept, 2 orientations. Top is probably better. The cats might like the bottom one.

dave

Attachments

• shadow-alt.gif
    shadow-alt.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 369
Dave,

I'm really interested in the Trio12. From what I've read so far, sound's like a really good driver.:D
I'm worrying about my lack of phase adjustment so I'd like to have a front firing driver and a cabs serving as stands. With that in mind, I sketched the attached files as an alternative. Would it work? (One is the Original Shadow and the other is my variation1 for comparison)

Cheers,
PJeff

Attachments

• SHADOW - ORIGINAL.jpg
    SHADOW - ORIGINAL.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 352
  • SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1.jpg
    SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 350
  • SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1_3D-Front.jpg
    SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1_3D-Front.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 336
Thank's for the good comments David and AdamThorne.
That can be very easily adjusted for the throat... and the original drawing says that the ''suggested driver position uses golden ratio''. Not really knowing what that is, the driver position might have to be adjusted as well.
I'm really busy preparing and hosting my oldest daughter's birthday this weekend so I probably won't have much time to work on the fine-tuning of my variation this weekend. But as soon as I can I will adjust the throat and i'll be waiting on anyone's comment for further mods.

Dave, can you please tell me a bit on what exactly the shadow design does for the Trio12?

Thank you,
I got the feeling that this is going somewhere interesting for me...;)

Cheers!

PJeff

Last edited:
I'm back with a possible solution to my variation about the throat dimension and it includes also the correction of an error I had made in the rectangular channel's length.
Do you think this is an equivalent variation to the original?

PJeff

Attachments

• SHADOW - ORIGINAL.jpg
    SHADOW - ORIGINAL.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 267
  • SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1-2.jpg
    SHADOW - PJEFF'S VAR1-2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 123
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.