Night of The Living Bassheads - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2010, 12:33 AM   #81
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Horn Bias! ESL's RULE!

Yep hard to beat an ESL for radiation efficiency. But they are a whole other ball of wax. I have to build this one day. It would probably be my last speaker. That and this sub.

Home Page of Arto Kolinummi, Audio

Check out his fullrange ESL and stepup transformer. This is one guy I like. And he is quite open about helping you work on a copy of his design. THe transformer your on your own though. But if you have enough readoing time and some persistence it can be worked out.

Mark

Maybe Patrick should post some of his findings so I can stop hijacking this thread. Sorry Patrick. I just answer the questions as they come. I can't post about your horn cuz I don't know how you built it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portal2 (Large).jpg (94.8 KB, 303 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 10:34 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

This illustration makes it easier to follow what the path is in the horn. While it wasn't intentional, this layout is very similar to The Tower of Power. I didn't even notice until I was reviewing the patent today.
I tossed this sub.

Things I like about this sub:

- it really does play below 20hz
- for home theater, you can really notice a difference. There is definitely content below 20hz in movies
- it's as 'tight' as any I've heard

Things I don't like about this sub

- it rattled like crazy. Even with crossbrace after crossbrace after crossbrace it rattled. There is clearly a much higher construction standard required for subs that play to 10hz. I'm guessing this is because it takes so much power and so much excursion to make bass below 20hz
- it's preposterously large
- the large size wouldn't be the end of the world, if there was an easy way to move it. For instance, if I had to build a giant sub again, I would likely use an array of two subs instead of a single unit. (IE, two subs with the same cubic area as this one, or less)
- it's ugly

In summary, I will likely build another infrasonic sub one of these days. But it will likely be smaller, and it will be easier to move. And it will definitely be built with far more sturdy construction.

Old 24th September 2012, 11:59 PM   #83
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I did a dual 55-2421 ~10 Hz TH sim early on and it's all of 97.863 L, so takes four of them to get 115 dB/16 Hz/1 pi, but at this size, driver cost, it's the way to go IMO.

GM
Old 26th September 2012, 07:40 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I tossed this sub.
Things I don't like about this sub:
- it rattled like crazy. Even with crossbrace after crossbrace after crossbrace it rattled.
In summary, I will likely build another infrasonic sub one of these days. But it will likely be smaller, and it will be easier to move. And it will definitely be built with far more sturdy construction.
Patrick,Yes, can't ever be too sturdy or braced, but the rattling may have been from the plywood itself, which looks to be AC or even CDX, the internal voids can be problematic.
That said, enough VLF will rattle so many things it is often hard to chase down all the culprits in room.

"Infrasonic" is an archaic term (IMHO) in the age of subs delivering SPL below 20 Hz that can be easily heard as well as felt.
There is a #@&k load of hump de do whomping when you go below 25 Hz, drywall stud walls start making their own gravy.

Art
Old 26th September 2012, 10:23 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Patrick,Yes, can't ever be too sturdy or braced, but the rattling may have been from the plywood itself, which looks to be AC or even CDX, the internal voids can be problematic.
Agreed. My two 16Hz designs are built with 3/4" 11 ply void free shop birch. One's completely unbraced. The wood doesn't rattle, but everything else in the room sure does.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:50 AM   #86
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
There is a #@&k load of hump de do whomping when you go below 25 Hz, drywall stud walls start making their own gravy.

Art
Oh, man do they ever. Of the two walls in my room one of them is studs-against-concrete, which stays put, but on the other side, it's just drywall and studs with another room on the other side of the wall. The TH's I just built a few days ago can breathe the wall back and forth between 18 and 30 cycles or so to the point where they're making their own music.

I've been contemplating what I'm going to do about it. I might just go buy 20 more studs and stack them all the way across that wall.

If you can stand copious amounts of distortion from my cel phone camera, I've got a video up of my walls and bar area turning into butter.

Shake rattle and roll. - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!