TRIO 12 Front loaded Horn Subwoofer - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice folding, good work!
I didn't see in pics but I supose the first portion of the flare (those two panels close to each other) is well braced like the rest. I said this because there is expected to be the most high dynamic presure load of the entire structure.
Regards,
Dorin
Thank you Dorin.

The fold was indeed very difficult to make compact. I was quite happy with the small amount of wasted space.

Yes the greatest pressure is at the beginning of the horn throat and it rapidly decreases as the wavefront progresses down the horn path. My error was in underestimating the required bracing.

That problem is now repaired.

Mark
Old 18th June 2010, 02:10 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I think everyone caught my mistake. But I'll clarify this point. The driver in the enclosure is a TRIO12 not a TRIO8.

To many jobs in my head at the moment of typing. I am knocking off another TRIO8 UNHORN design. Another wierd more or less limited to a few types of drivers quazi hornloaded bandpass design. More like a very augmented vented bandpass design.

Any chance I could edit that typo aout oh there?

Mark
Old 18th June 2010, 04:53 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Well I should have done the job like this the first time. But a mistake is a reason to do something better.

Take a look:

The rest of the pics are on :

Horn Subwoofer pictures by mwmkravchenko - Photobucket

THe waiting game once again. I love waiting for glue to dry. Kind of like watching paint dry. Not quite as entertaining as watching toast burn though!

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0095 (Medium).jpg (111.9 KB, 1007 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0105 (Medium).jpg (68.1 KB, 977 views)
Old 19th June 2010, 01:09 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
To many jobs in my head at the moment of typing. I am knocking off another TRIO8 UNHORN design. Another wierd more or less limited to a few types of drivers quazi hornloaded bandpass design. More like a very augmented vented bandpass design.
Sounds like the expanding-vent 6th order BP I mentioned on Patrick's thread. Looks quite promising in HornResp, which suggests you can get the gain and low-frequency capability of a standard 6th order BP with an extended passband.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:15 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hey Brian

A variant on the UNHORN which is a variant on other designs. Yep it works.

I did some preliminary SPL in the shop. 3 feet off of the floor 4 feet and 6 feet respectively from any corner. So I call that 1 and a half Pi. I got 92 to 94 db/watt. So the design checks out. It is in the truck ready to go to the DIY Ottawa show tomorrow morning. Should be interesting.

Depending on the weather I may be able to do some decent anecheoic testing on Sunday.

Mark
Old 20th June 2010, 01:40 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Wel back from the first DIY Ottawa meet and the sub performed admirably. Great extension and almost scary authority. We drove it with 50 and 30 watts. I played afew tracks that had some really thundrous bass in them and I think all were quite impressed. Now on to the testing stage.

Mark
Old 20th June 2010, 11:29 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

A report from the DIY Ottawa event:

Well after a setup and tweak of the signal to the amp for the sub we were able to listen to quite a bit of different music. Some test signals provided by a gent who works for Paradigm and designs subwoofers and amps was demonstrating his Line source speakers. I had a quick chat with him and asked his opinion on how the sub performed. His comments were more dynamic and punchy than anything he was working on.

Now bear in mind that we were driving the sub with a 30 watt amplifier!

We played a great deal of jazz and Pink Floyd. The sub works when called upon but is not omnipresent as so many subs are. If there is bass it roars to life otherwise it is quiet.

I kept some of the best tracks for the laster part of the day.

I review classical music for a website so I have quite a large carefully groomed collection of the stuff.

So I played the second movement from Saint Saens third symphony. THe recording is with Edo de Wart and Jean Guillou. Probably the best most dynamic available. When the opening of the pice comes there are soft strings and then the organ comes in quietly but three octaves lower than anything in the orchestra. It litterally lifted the room with waves of clean clear 32 foot pitched soft rumble. Truly an awesome effect. I have done this before with 5 pcs of 15" woofers and 400 watts. But this was cleaner and clearer with one 12 and 30 watts. My did I get a bunch of smiles! Worth all the effort. I'm out with my son's this afternoon and evening but I promise to do some proper testing this coming week. I already know how low it goes. It meets and beat 18hz. Depending on the room and location I can get a clean 16hz out of it. Now I'm interested in the maximum SPL and the wattage needed to get there.

I post a pic of the output on the RTA from the Berhriger
DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro Digital EQ/RTA.

The increments on the RTA at this level were 3db at the highest peak off of flat. That's down to 20 hz. The microphone was the ECM 8000. Measured about 4 meters from the mouth of the sub. I know that low end measurement is tmpermental in rooms and has to be properly averaged to be taken as gospel truth. This was single location one third of the way into a 30 foot long by 16 foot wide room. But it serves as a baseline for you guys to look at at any rate. Listening impressions from a seasoned low end listener like me put the response as spot on. I could count the beast at the low C on the Saint Saen's piece. I have run that through a RTA many times and know that at a couple of points the open stop that is used is a pretty clean sine wave at 16.8 hz. Sweet to say the least. So I amongst a zillion things to do this week I will try to sneek in some measurement time on the sub.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0144 (Large).jpg (83.6 KB, 915 views)
Old 21st June 2010, 02:28 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Truly awesome
Old 21st June 2010, 09:25 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It is indeed fun toplay with.

Mark
Old 21st June 2010, 11:28 PM   #30
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Congratulations!!

Hi,

I have been following this with interest for some time and only wish I was closer to hear this "monster".

Thanks Mark for your work.

I will be adding an item on the website to sell the driver, plans, etc. as a kit shortly. If someone can't wait let me know and I'll see what can be done.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!