TRIO 12 Front loaded Horn Subwoofer - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2010, 12:29 AM   #101
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Sure but your looking at a box the size of a phone booth. If you want high efficiency into 2P1 space you need a large horn or at least four of the one your reading about. If you model it in hornresp and use the mutiple box option you get this in 2Pi with four boxes.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 Pcs TRIO12 FLH 200 watts 2 Pi Space.JPG (84.9 KB, 701 views)
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:37 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

mark,how big of a box you are talking about
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:40 AM   #103
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

THe graphs I just posted are for four pieces on the TRIO12 Front loaded Horn in this thread. So it is a huge box. 27 cubic feet each. Stacked up as a quad with all the mouths setup close to each other in a wall type configuration.

So each box is 16" x 32" x 92". Each box uses a single TRIO12 driver and with the 200 watts input you get the wonderfull SPL in the graph.

Horns rule!

Mark
Old 16th March 2011, 10:49 PM   #104
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
Me thinks that will happen soon enough. There is a very detailed build manual being done as well. Gotta keep everyone happy.

Mark
Bump- any update?
Old 16th March 2011, 10:58 PM   #105
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have the 26 page text manual which will soon be expanded with pictures, drawings, cut lists, etc.

Wish I could build it here and listen; maybe some day.

Bob
Old 17th March 2011, 02:29 AM   #106
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

I have 49 pictures and a bunch oh illustrations that have to go into the text. So it is close. Very close.

Mark
Old 18th May 2011, 12:06 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

I was interested in a project like this and posted as much in my thread on "getting the last octave in horns" Getting the last octave in horns and was given a pointer to this thread. I really like the idea of this approach bet where I run into trouble is though I have the room for a sub of this size or even larger (garage is behind the listening room) I do not have enough room in the listening room to use acoustical positioning to compensate for the delay and I am unwilling to introduce digital delay lines (or any other kind) to my mains so I suspect I will have to be content with a different approach until I can afford a house with a longer listening room or where I can position the horn outlet next to the seating position.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:09 AM   #108
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Where are you concerned with delay? I have listened at length and find nothing offensive and or objectionable in the delay from the horn path length.
Old 18th May 2011, 04:52 AM   #109
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Many people have listened to different types of music and I have never heard one comment about loss of tunefulness or timing. In fact it is the other way around. The comments are how musical and realistic it sounds. Me thinks the group delay idea is exactly that. A concept that is not as bad as the simulations predict.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:31 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Well I have to admit that I haven't had an opportunity to hear one in person but was concerned about higher frequency components like transients arriving 20mS or so before the low freq. fundamental. I am glad to hear that you have not found this problematic. It encourages me to give it a try even though I have heard others who have claimed problems with it. Perhaps if the crossover is low enough and steep enough it won't be a problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!