Clearance: down-firing port to spikes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my sub enclosures the down-firing port base is flush with the enclosure, not recessed. What is minimum safe clearance from the port/enclosure base to the tip of spikes for thick carpet and pad?

10" driver faces the wall with about 3/4" clearance. If I compute correctly, and if it makes a difference, in effect the port is open about 180-degrees and closed off on the wall side.

1.1cf internal, 10" super duty 16 lb net weight, 600Wrms power handling, port about 2" x 16" moving (apparently) a lot of air, 20 Hz clean in current state of tune (four employed total, one in reverse polarity).

TIA!

Last edited:
Port air velocity with 2"x16" port?
I've read where one port radius is all the clearance that is required. But your port area seems to be too small for such low tuning> unless low SPLs due to Xmax limitations. Can you show us your box calculations/tuning to acheive 20Hz? What power is Xmax reached?

Port air velocity with 2"x16" port?
I've read where one port radius is all the clearance that is required. But your port area seems to be too small for such low tuning> unless low SPLs due to Xmax limitations. Can you show us your box calculations/tuning to acheive 20Hz? What power is Xmax reached?

Sorry, a real speaker designer licensed me to build this. I double checked, and he specified to allow "60ci" for port displacement in the box, and it looks like it's closer to 2" x 20" in length. It's also tuned for reverse room gain, meaning 3 dB/octave roll off below 100 Hz. So I suppose its about -7 dB @ 20 Hz relative to 100 Hz (or -10 dB @ 20 Hz if that's the -3 dB point, which may well be the case). Xmax: 12.3mm

I must admit I'm surprised how variable are the replies.

Last edited:
Sorry, a real speaker designer licensed me to build this.
I must admit I'm surprised how variable are the replies.

Well... speaker design is not an exact science. But maybe a real designer would disagree with that. LOL

If you have supersonic port velocity I would allow much more distance to the floor ...FWIW If'n I was was you I would get a second opinion about that port.

How did Tannoy manage with Subwoofer of HTS-100 system? I am posting its pic. This system sounds very impressive at its cost.

I heard them lot of times at Cafe Coffee Day. Coffee tastes good with this.

Attachments

• PICT2552.jpg
    PICT2552.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.