would it be worth it??? need lots of help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i ve got an electo-voice DL15W subwoofer that over time has deteriorated and needs to be recone. since it was free thought id try to build a box for it for my home theater. Found some recone kits for around $65 and up. My question is, is this speaker worth spending money on to recone and make a speaker box of some kind for a home theater. it would be mostly for movies (95%), i didnt know if this particular speaker would suit that purpose. if the EV DL15W is good for my application what amp should i purchase and what type of box would you all recommend for it. i tried to look it up and found some information about it, but it might aswell be in different language to me. not sure what numbers to look at and what is good or bad. any information ive left out let me know. guess im just wondering if i should mess with this particular speaker at all, not sure how the sound would be. and since i have really no idea what to look for on specs to determine that, figured you all would know more than me. thanks all for the help

GM

Joined 2003
If its published specs are accurate, it's a prosound 'sub', i.e. designed to flatten your eyeballs from ~60 Hz-up in a relatively small vented cab, so unless a very large cab (> 20 ft^3 to get usable output to Fs) along with significant EQ is used it's not all that suitable for a typical HIFI/HT app unless a separate sub-woofer system is used. Even then, it's low Xmax will keep it from meeting DD/DTS/THX reference down low unless there's significant room gain.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome! It just depends on your performance goals. Its published specs are very close to my old Altec 515B's measured ones and I've been content with them for many decades now, though I use two/channel corner loaded to allow 16 Hz tuning with horn dynamics from ~40 Hz in-room with the trade-off being they are each ~20 ft^3.

Just using a single driver in ~10 ft^3 though would need to be between the mains, so if this is viable and you don't listen at loud SPLs it might be OK. I mean it could work well with an 'FR' driver or similar system.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.